Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at TheWorm's MDX, I'm thinking about going with Acura's OEM sidesteps, but having them powdercoated to match the wheels...anyone interested in a group buy???

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I only know of three ...

... of us who have had that done; Rail, TheWorm and now me:2:

If I am not mistaken this is NOT something Tim can do - you buy the Steps from Tim and then have them powdercoated. I do know that mine was done at a different place than the others. See their links/post to find out where theirs was done; mine was done at Allied PowderCoating in Houston.

As far as a group buy goes, you would need to find a place to get it done (that will accept mail orders) and then everyone would have to send theirs there. I'm not trying to discourage you but this seems like a tough one to pull off:confused:

·
Registered
63 Posts
yeah!!

If you can get all the details worked out for a good price, I'm in 100%. Keep me informed if you pursue this.

later,
:1:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Rail!

To quote our fine friend:
...Find a local powder coating company - I used Andrews Powder Coating, Inc in Chatsworth, CA which is close (enough) to where I live -- their number is (818) 700-1030 and I dealt with the owner, Scott. (www.powdercoater.com).

Because the original side steps are already powder coated, they have to chemically strip them first, and if you pick the same colour I did, then they also have to add a clear coat.

Total cost of the powder coating was $311.00 (plus the cost of the side steps).

If you get a group together, you'll be able to "dramatically reduce the cost" - Scott's words.

I can call Scott and see what opportunities might exist...if you're interested, please post a reply!

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you keep looking through my original thread...

BTW they did offer another silver which was a little more chrome coloured which didn't require the additional clear coat - that would take bout $75.00 off the cost.

Scott, at Andrews powder Coating, tells me that for a run of 5 to 10 he could probably do the same colour as mine (including the clear coat) for about $200.00 per set
(plus the cost of the side steps).

This was quite a while ago.. so you may need to remind him :)

Regards.

Rail

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
I used Allied Powder Coating ...

...in Houston. www.alliedpowder.com

They were chemically cleaned, powdercoated chrome and then clearcoated. The total cost was $131. That price was $45 per step (X 2 = $90) and $6 per mounting bracket (X 6 = $36) for a total of $126. There was an additional $5 chemical waste disposal fee for a final price of $131. Their prices included tax. I delivered the steps to them on a Friday at noon and they were ready the following Thursday. Living outside of Houston I took them to the shop and picked them up.

You can contact them through their website. I originally spoke with a John Casey on the phone, but I dealt with Paula Alexander there in person.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts