Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to buy a MDX and I wanted to know if you guys had powder coat the wheels or bought the one berlina black wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think aftermarket wheels on the MDX (and most vehicles) do not make an aesthetic improvement. In particular the MDX has always been very unwelcoming to aftermarket wheels, dramatically cheapens the look.

Powder coat is a good option and I think black looks good on lighter cars. But again I personally wouldn't bother on the MDX.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I personally like the gunmetal wheels that come stock. We got the 20-in Shark Gray Machine-Finished Wheels. I only like black wheels on a white car. I couldn't talk the wife into the white or silver Aspec when she got her MDX. She was locked in on the Advance package with the Gunmetal Metallic. Her car so her choice. It looks good too, I just mainly preferred the exhaust look on the Aspec models instead of it being part of the bumper.

I weigh in on a few things but for the most part I tell her to buy what she wants. She does the same when it comes to my cars too, I was leaning towards a white car with carbon fiber hood. After talking it over with her and her saying that it looks like the car has a mullet of all things...lol...I decided to go with the sun roof option. We never use the sun roofs in our cars but the rest being white will save me from the mullet jokes. And I wasn't dead set either way, good to have another opinion from a trusted source. Not having the carbon fiber roof will probably help it blend in too as I plan to de-badge it. I also took off the MDX badges off her car. Easier to clean than to have to worry trying to clean around the letters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
also for 2020, the berlina wheels will result in a smaller tire.

for 2020, the advanced wheel / tire package are 20x8.5 wheel (just like the aspec wheel). This wheel requires a 265 size tire vs. 245 size tire for the Berlina wheel.

·
Registered
55 Posts
While I like the look of the Berlina Black rims, IMO they don't look as nice as the 20 inch rims on the 2017+ tech package. Besides, when a wheel is painted black it's hard to see the design of them. I support you going for black rims but I do not see the value in paying $2,000 for them if they didn't already come on the car. Get the car you want, then powder coat the rims if needed. You'll save big bucks and achieve the same look.

[edit]
After a quick search online I realize that the tech package wheels are Berlinas :ROFLMAO: oops!
If you end up with a tech package model, certainly do not spend 2 grand to get the exact same wheels but in a different color

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I have the black Berlina rims on my 19 MDX hybrid. Not a lot of aftermarket rim choices for the MDX out there is the reason I just went for the OEM Berlina. Looking back, I've should have spent the extra $$ on the shark gray A-Spec rims. Not 100% sure how the A-spec rims would look with my chome deleted blacked out Fathom Blue Pearl MDX?

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
656 Posts
Mine is pre-owned but has a wheel with some coating that is flaking...not sure if dealer did it but the wheels sold me on the car

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
656 Posts

My car was pre-owned but did the dealer offer this wheel color variant when these were new or is it aftermarket?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Those look like the optional Gloss Black 20X8 Berlina rims I switched to on my 19 hybrid. You might have either powder coat or plastic dip. Doesn't take much to take off plastic dip if the coating is flaking off. No experience with powder coat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts