Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 14 MDX makes a shuddering noise under light acceleration, most often between 30 and 40 mph. I found a thread on this forum explaining something similar and a video on YouTube which is an exact example of what is happening (albeit on a 2004 Pilot.) The forum won't let me link them though because this is my first post.

I have 98,000 miles and a 100k powertrain warranty so I'm a bit eager to get this fixed. I've taken it to the dealer twice and they refuse to believe anything is wrong. On the way to and from the dealer both times it made the shuddering noise, but the dealer claimed both times they road tested it for at least half an hour and never heard anything.

Because this is a known issue and it happens every single time I drive the car, the conspiracy theorist in me wants to say that the dealer knows exactly what the problem is but doesn't want to do the work for free. Has anyone experienced something similar or does anyone think it might be normal?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Request a technician to do road test with you and point out what you feel/heard during the road test. Sometimes advisor gave the wrong/unclear information on the paper which cause technician looked for unrelated problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Those who reported similar, including me, had at least 40k+ miles on the mdx. I went through many repairs on my MDX but the problem still exists.
At this time I have learned to live with it until I get rid of the car. Obviously something is going bad in the car after 40k+ miles or so causing the vibration. Acura thinks it is due to VCM and claims it is normal.
Until it gets to normal operating temp, you don't notice the vibration, check it out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Those who reported similar, including me, had at least 40k+ miles on the mdx. I went through many repairs on my MDX but the problem still exists.
At this time I have learned to live with it until I get rid of the car. Obviously something is going bad in the car after 40k+ miles or so causing the vibration. Acura thinks it is due to VCM and claims it is normal.
Until it gets to normal operating temp, you don't notice the vibration, check it out.
That's why I always wanted to put a VCMtunner in it

·
Registered
136 Posts
Note the RPM when you notice it and be sure to mention TSB 14-003 to dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most likely deteriorated transmission fluid, causing a judder from the torque converter. A complete transmission fluid flush should help / fix it . Might need a PCM software update from the dealer also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently took my 2014 MDX SH-AWD in at 86k (out of warranty) for this problem. It did it all the time for me and conveniently didn’t for the service tech. Since I was paying for it, I opted to do the TSB and it runs like a new car now.

·
Registered
644 Posts
it is a well known issue. Take it back to the dealer and ask them to show you in your records where the software was updated, and the fluid flushed per the TSB. If they find it then you may have to pay to have it flushed, but if it has never been done ask why they are giving you a hard time. Be direct but not aggressive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That's why I always wanted to put a VCMtunner in it
I had the same issue on my '14, it was acknowledged by the tech and when they unplugged the VCM module the shudder/vibration went away. There was no offer to do any of the TSB since they stated it was VCM working as designed.

I have installed the oem trans cooler and have done the 3x drain fill + trans filter at 45k. My plan is a drain/fill once a year to keep fluid somewhat fresh.

The vibration was annoying as hell so I researched how to shut off the VCM. I ended up with the VCMTuner since it has adjustable resistance. The idea is to keep ECT sensor 1 from seeing 167 degrees since that is when VCM becomes active. I've made fine adjustments to keep the temp at 165 degrees while running 75-80mph. The vibration is long gone and there is virtually no drop in mpg. I'm not saying the VCMTuner (or any other device to disable VCM) is for everyone but it works for me and I don't see the downside.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I had the same issue on my '14, it was acknowledged by the tech and when they unplugged the VCM module the shudder/vibration went away. There was no offer to do any of the TSB since they stated it was VCM working as designed.

I have installed the oem trans cooler and have done the 3x drain fill + trans filter at 45k. My plan is a drain/fill once a year to keep fluid somewhat fresh.

The vibration was annoying as hell so I researched how to shut off the VCM. I ended up with the VCMTuner since it has adjustable resistance. The idea is to keep ECT sensor 1 from seeing 167 degrees since that is when VCM becomes active. I've made fine adjustments to keep the temp at 165 degrees while running 75-80mph. The vibration is long gone and there is virtually no drop in mpg. I'm not saying the VCMTuner (or any other device to disable VCM) is for everyone but it works for me and I don't see the downside.
Can you tell any difference after the VCM is disabled?

·
Registered
117 Posts

If there is a VCM module, why not disable that instead of adding VCMTuner? I couldn't figure out how to disable VCM, so ended up going with VCM Muzzler which helps but doesn't completely eliminate VCM vibrations

·
Registered
64 Posts
If there is a VCM module, why not disable that instead of adding VCMTuner? I couldn't figure out how to disable VCM, so ended up going with VCM Muzzler which helps but doesn't completely eliminate VCM vibrations
Not sure where it is or how it's disabled... just stating what I was told at the dealership. Could be wired with a plug or could have been disabled by via scan tool.

I went with VCMTuner for the ease of adjustment vs swapping out resistors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts