Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi MDXers,
Am considering a used 2012-2013 MDX but am spooked by the high-tech expensive to replace suspension which is really nice until it's NOT. I'm looking at 30-45K mile MDX's, and CPO doesn't protect out far enough to avoid many thousands in suspension wear-out or failure.
Solution 1 appears to be replacing mag-struts with conventional and installing resistors across the cables to keep warning messages off.
But my question is does every single GEN 2 model have the SH suspension or is there a based model that does not?
My other choice is a Lexus RX 350 which have conventional suspension but I wanted the engine and transmission performance of the MDX.
Any other comments are appreciated.
Thanks
NH Steve

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
All MDXs (base, tech, sport, Adv) have sh-awd and sporty suspensions. The 07-09 MDX sport and 10-13 MDX Adv have the larger front/rear stabilizer bars and magnetic struts/shocks with sport and comfort modes you can control from center console on top of regular sporty suspension. The +10 Adv also have auto level headlights, ACC, BSI, CMBS, 3 level heated/cooled seats, pre-tension front seat belts, 19 inch rims, along with the active suspension.

Acura did offer an 100,000 miles extended warranty for the magnetic suspension for the 07-13 MDXs last year. I don't know the time period limitations per model year compared to the mileage limit?

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you search on here, there is a recall IIRC on the mag shocks. Or as you indicated, you can always do a conversion. Don't let that spook you. Only the Advance model has the mag shocks.

Unless you're over 60yo and do not live in a snow state, do not get the RX350.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you search on here, there is a recall IIRC on the mag shocks. Or as you indicated, you can always do a conversion. Don't let that spook you. Only the Advance model has the mag shocks.

Unless you're over 60yo and do not live in a snow state, do not get the RX350.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBRniUvNPbA
Thank you for that video! I considered an RX350 briefly before I bought the MDX but I didn't buy it because it didn't have 7 seats. Now I am REALLY glad I didn't buy it, but instead bought the MDX, which is a super awesome vehicle.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Hi MDXers,
But my question is does every single GEN 2 model have the SH suspension or is there a based model that does not?
There is no such thing as "SH suspension". I think you're confusing the AWD system which is called "SH-AWD" and all MDX models from '07-'13 have SH-AWD.

The expensive suspension you're referring to is called Active Damper System or "ADS". It's only included on the Advance model for the '10-'13 MDX. The Base and Tech model do not have ADS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.