Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed oil stains on my garage floor. Investigated and saw it was from oil filter, not drain plug. Although not due for oil change I took into pep Boys for them to change oil, asking them to pay special attention to the filter leak.

So tall weeks later I still have a leak but a very slow one. Has anyone had this? Could there be a problem with the thread? Or what are other causes? Could overfilling oil result in this?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If it's coming from the oil filter it is most probably the rubber gasket is not seated properly. It could be damaged or the old filter was not threaded on properly causing the sealing surfaces to not make a good contact. I've heard stories of oil changes where the old filter ring stays on the motor once removed so when the new filter is installed the seal is resting on the old seal instead of the engine. This is a bad situation because the old seal may eventually blow out under pressure causing your car to dump all of it's oil. I would do another oil change and when replacing the filter examine the oil filter gasket interface to see what's happening.

·
Registered
626 Posts
It might be that the old oil filter gasket stayet in the attachment. Very common reason for leaking in the filter area. Whoever changes your oil needs to make sure there is no filter gasket left in the valve assembly filter holder attachment.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Sometimes the gasket or o-ring at the oil filter base leak. Items #9 and #15 in the diagram below.

Spray clean the whole area with brakecleaner or electrical contact cleaner. Drive for 10-15 miles and recheck for leaks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Definitely check if the old seal is still attached. If you can't do it yourself, take it to an actual mechanic. Do yourself a favor, stop going to pep boys, jiffy lube, or any other 29.99 free car wash-while-you-wait special. Another oil change is unnecessary. Just top off whatever you lose.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Before seeing Cardude's post I was going to say - the starting point is to not take it to Pep Boys for anything. This s/b a very simple thing for any sensible mechanic (which you might not find at Pep Boys) to resolve. There's really not much to it - it's a matter of first inspecting the area around the filter and that area of the engine to try to find where it's leaking from, then if it's determined the filter really is the problem or if the problem can't be determined, then drain the oil again and remove the filter and inspect the area paying attention to the mating surface. Note that the mating surface and access to the oil filer area is very easy if done from the right wheel well with the tire off - more ready access and easier to see than from underneath. Once the mating surface is determined to be dirt free, and old gasket free if one stuck, then the new filter needs a bit of oil to be put on its gasket and the new filter (don't try to reuse the old one - something Pep Boys might have done) spun on and hand tightened - tight enough but not with a wrench.

If after all that there's still an oil leak it's probably not really coming from the filter but rather something else in the general area.

Again - don't use Pep Boys, Quicky Lube, and the like - have an actual mechanic with a good reputation check it out since there was a problem. This could be an Acura/Honda dealer or an independent mechanic.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I did my own oil change, and I always place an cardboard underneath both the oil filter and the drain bolt, just to make sure there is no leak. is it possible that the guy who change the oil forget to lube the seal ring on the filter?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had done my own oil changes using mobil1 oil and filter. Decided to take to an independent mechanic two oil changes ago and that's when the leak began. It was my first time there and last.

After finding the leak I took own oil and filter to pep Boys. And the leak is still there although smaller..... Will need to go back, have them lift up and inspect myself.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I use plastic bag to hold most of the fluid, and use brake cleaner to spray on the control arm.
For the oil filter I access it from the right wheel well and use a Form-A-Funnel to route the draining oil from the filter area to an oil catch pan. This method is easy to use and results in not a drop of oil being spilled in the process and works better than when I've tried to use plastic bags for it. It's truly no fuss no muss. It's a great product.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't assume taking it to a dealer is going to yield better results. Took my car in yesterday to the dealer where I bought it from. A1 service code (oil change, tire rotation) Noticed a 2" spot of fresh oil on my garage floor today. Looked under the car, don't know if it's leaking or just wasn't cleaned up properly after replacing oil filter. On top of that, paid $70 for oil change and tire rotation and realized that the tires were never rotated. I know this because I had curb rash on one of the tires that was repaired by the same dealer a few months ago. That tire is still mounted in the same location. Called service manager, he confronted the kids (trainees going to school to become certified mechanics) who worked on the car. They had no explanation on why they didn't rotate the tires. Service manager says he's going to refund my credit card. Needless to say, this dealership has lost a lot of credibility with me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
On my previous car, some stupid from the dealer striped my drain bolt, to be honest, I would rather to go to my local mechanic because I can see how the service was performed.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
he confronted the kids (trainees going to school to become certified mechanics) who worked on the car
That's a good point - many times the least experienced/qualified people are put on tire rotations and oil changes with brake jobs maybe a bit above that. This isn't universal but could certainly be the case.

I still do my own oil changes and tire rotations - it's easier to do it myself, less expensive, and I know that its done at all and it's done right. I realize not everyone is in a position to do it themselves but at least at a place like Discount Tire for rotations one can stand just outside the bay and watch what they do. Using a qualified mechanic that has a good rep, and especially one working where they can be seen doing the work (which encourages doing it honestly and correctly) is a good option.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I used to get regular service done at dealers . . . until I got red "oil" light on dash. It was about a month after $800 dealer periodic service. The service included engine oil/filter change and other filter changes. They supposed to have filled with 8.5 qts of M1 0W-40 oil, and invoice showed charge of $12/qt x 8.5 for the cost of oil.

When I pulled over to check the oil dipstick, NO OIL ON DIPSTICK! I had to add a little over 2 qts to bring to correct level. There's no leak or burning engine oil at the time.

The "kid" must've have been brand new, first time changing engine oil on MB vehicle. Ever since,
I've never visited any dealer for anything other than a warranty service.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Having done this before, I can tell you that if you leave a rubber gasket on the vehicle and put a new filter on, that "dual gasket" situation usually doesn't leak - it allows a whole lot more oil to get out than you'd imagine. The oil pressure will push quite a bit thru this dual-gasket scenario, even start spraying it out. Quite the mess to clean up in my driveway. Once you've done it, you won't do it again.....

If it continues to leak at the filter seal area after using a new filter, make sure there's no dirt or gunk left on the filter mounting area - impurities there can cause seepage. Unless damaged or dirty, that filter seal area won't seep.

good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts