Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I've had an overnight test drive of a 2017 MDX with SHAWD and the Tech Package with 98K. All seems normal except for the heavy discoloration of the exhaust tips - is this normal? Is it indicative of an oil burner?

Anything else I should be inspecting on this or known issues with this model year?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
756 Posts
Totally normal unfornutately. My 2018 has done that from day one. Acura really blew it here. They should have pushed the exhaust tips out maybe 2 inches more and the problem would not have occured. As a side note it washes off easily.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
It is normal. I am able to wash it out when I do car wash, just not sure how well could you do on this one if it has been there for past few (3~5) years.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Black sooty tail pipes can happen with Acura. It can look really bad on older sedans like the a white RL/TL as it can also stain the rear bumper with soot if you don't clean regularly. I noticed the same darken area with other +17 MDXs. Found a local guy and did plastic dip in black matte on the chrome exhaust tips 2 years ago on my 19 MDX. It helps hide the soot perfectly and the plastic dip is just normal wash/dry to maintain (no issues from exhaust heat):

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech
125 Posts
Mine is the same. Every car wash I take a rag and wipe them down. Once every few months I put some metal polish on there, helps the soot from sticking.

2017 with 98k miles? Dang, that's a lot in a short span of time.

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
756 Posts
A 2017 with 98K miles? Unless its at a bargain basement price I would keep looking. 98K in 4 years is like 25K a year.
Between 2018 and 2018 ypu loose several features you might like to have. Also with all the tech features you might be better off with a 2018/19 CPO.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
Mine is the same. Every car wash I take a rag and wipe them down. Once every few months I put some metal polish on there, helps the soot from sticking.

2017 with 98k miles? Dang, that's a lot in a short span of time.
Probably all highway miles. I had a 2016 that had 109k on the odo. All highway miles.

Hi All-

I've had an overnight test drive of a 2017 MDX with SHAWD and the Tech Package with 98K. All seems normal except for the heavy discoloration of the exhaust tips - is this normal? Is it indicative of an oil burner?

Anything else I should be inspecting on this or known issues with this model year?

Thanks!

View attachment 117418
Its a real PITA to clean that once it stay on it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Probably all highway miles. I had a 2016 that had 109k on the odo. All highway miles.
Not trying to argue with you but I mean, unless you guaranteed know how those highway miles were put on there, it's a crapshoot. And miles are miles, highway or not. I drove my 2011 Subaru Forester very hard for the 8 years i had it, put 139k miles on it and probably 100k were highway miles but i drove that little 4-cyl very hard and by the time i got rear-ended and totaled, it had a whole host of problems with the engine and transmission even though i was diligent with Subaru recommended/required maintenance. Yes, that's not quite apples to apples, i get that. But some of the principle still applies.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
Not trying to argue with you but I mean, unless you guaranteed know how those highway miles were put on there, it's a crapshoot. And miles are miles, highway or not. I drove my 2011 Subaru Forester very hard for the 8 years i had it, put 139k miles on it and probably 100k were highway miles but i drove that little 4-cyl very hard and by the time i got rear-ended and totaled, it had a whole host of problems with the engine and transmission even though i was diligent with Subaru recommended/required maintenance. Yes, that's not quite apples to apples, i get that. But some of the principle still applies.
Not arguing here. But it might have been some hard driven highway miles. I'm just thinking how one could get that many miles between 2017 to 2019 in city driving since 2020 was a messed up year.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I ended up hitting the one year time limit for an oil change for my 19 MDX instead of the normal M.I.D.15% notification in 2020.

Reactions: djmixmode

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
I ended up hitting the one year time limit for an oil change for my 19 MDX instead of the normal M.I.D.15% notification in 2020.
Welcome to the "Letting the time laspe on them OCs" club.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'll probably have that happen to me this year. I got it end of Jan and immediately did my own oil change to bring everything back to stock (I found a carquest oil filter on it which immediately rubbed me the wrong way) but did not reset the MID as when I got it, it was already reset and at 100% life left. I am barely putting any miles on it as its 1 of 4 cars we use in the household and I don't commute with it. only has 12,xxx miles on it which I'm super proud of for a 2019.

·
Super Moderator
1,968 Posts
It will be close call for me this year. Only drove about 5000 miles since last oil change in August 2020, but will be driving down to Orlando and up to Boston between lateJune and late July.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I keep records of my gas/maint on my iPhone app RoadTrip. I've had my 19 MDX for 27 months and only put 22,000 miles on her since purchase in Mar of 2019. I compared that to my 11 MDX I purchased back in 2014 and I put 43,000 miles in the same 27 months time period.

A 2017 with 98,000 miles with the lockdown in 2020 (and almost 6 months in 2021) is A LOT of mileage. Factor in the +$1700 timing belt service will be due at 105k along with any other service (engine/cabin filter, water pump, serpentine belt kit, brake flush, AT/transfer, rear diff).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I keep records of my gas/maint on my iPhone app RoadTrip. I've had my 19 MDX for 27 months and only put 22,000 miles on her since purchase in Mar of 2019. I compared that to my 11 MDX I purchased back in 2014 and I put 43,000 miles in the same 27 months time period.

A 2017 with 98,000 miles with the lockdown in 2020 (and almost 6 months in 2021) is A LOT of mileage. Factor in the +$1700 timing belt service will be due at 105k along with any other service (engine/cabin filter, water pump, serpentine belt kit, brake flush, AT/transfer, rear diff).
Timing belts are due at 60k here in Arizona so that’s why I got rid of my RDX with 67k miles. No way Jose on that TB service!! Especially since I had been wanting an MDX for a while.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
It will be close call for me this year. Only drove about 5000 miles since last oil change in August 2020, but will be driving down to Orlando and up to Boston between lateJune and late July.
May I suggest some roads for you to avoid while in Orlando? We got some uneducated drivers in Otown.

·
Registered
125 Posts
May I suggest some roads for you to avoid while in Orlando? We got some uneducated drivers in Otown.
Omg you’re in Orlando? I don’t envy you. Kissimmee is where I stayed about 10 years ago, what a dump of a town. Probably all the Disney people ruining everything. No hard feelings!! Lol

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
1,111 Posts
Omg you’re in Orlando? I don’t envy you. Kissimmee is where I stayed about 10 years ago, what a dump of a town. Probably all the Disney people ruining everything. No hard feelings!! Lol
Yeah, just the weekends for now; I'm by Disney though (our area gained a crap ton of Karens over these past few years). During the week I'm down in Miami (I regret this choice now) for university. @Seawall is the other member that lives in Otown too.

Reactions: djmixmode

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yeah, just the weekends for now; I'm by Disney though (our area gained a crap ton of Karens over these past few years). During the week I'm down in Miami (I regret this choice now) for university. @Seawall is the other member that lives in Otown too.
Not to derail the thread but I was there for about a week and went all over including Tampa, that wasn’t much better. Missed getting to Miami though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts