Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to work out some details today on a 2015 White/tan MDX with Tech. They are listing it for $28,700 with 43k miles. Clean carfax/no accidents. My issues are minor, only 1 key, no floor mats, 3rd row headrest has black stain, 3 of 4 rims have curbbing. Pros - New tires and alignment, Factory Running boards, roof rack, and side moulding. I am going to ask them to address my issues with replacements except for the wheels not sure how to handle that. All the parts for the key, mats, headrest equate to $500. What do you all think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so my wife and I made the plunge! I got an additional $350 off the price. OTD was $30,848. The smudge came off the rear headrest. The salesman found some carpet mats. He also found a key fob. I have to buy the emergency blank, which I just did. Now, I just need to get it cut and programmed. Lastly, they are going to have the wheel guy fix all 4 wheels because of the curb rash on them.

New MDX owner :grin:

·
Registered
727 Posts
Enjoy, I still regret the change to offering FWD on the MDX, I think it watered down the vehicle...threads like this rarely identify FWD or AWD....the other generations you never had that issue..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, this is the SH-AWD model.

I also am going to get another Acura dealer to program the key under warranty. I just told them I changed the battery and now it doesn't work lol. They said no problem.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Enjoy, I still regret the change to offering FWD on the MDX, I think it watered down the vehicle...threads like this rarely identify FWD or AWD....the other generations you never had that issue..
There are parts of the country that have almost no interest in awd. I can understand them offering it. I don’t think it waters down anything. You could say the same thing about offering a base model.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I can understand them offering it, but it does water things down a bit. One of the major advantages that the MDX has over other AWD SUVs/CUVs is the torque vectoring rear axle of SH-AWD.

·
Registered
761 Posts

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
I believe 98% of the FWD are sold and driven in places like Florida and Southern Cali were AWD is not needed.

My buddy at Acura said his dealership doesn’t and haven’t carried any FWD’s in NY.

Congrats on the new to you MDX.
Check out these how-to’s for maintaining you MDX yourself.

https://youtu.be/C-vwZGCBt-I

https://youtu.be/dz64reYyb6Q

https://youtu.be/i2NG9UDOom4

https://youtu.be/jBE5GKkdd8E

https://youtu.be/oypWT4V4T-A
Your numbers may be off. My dealer outside Chicago has 5 FWD out of 59. That’s just the MDX.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
There are parts of the country that have almost no interest in awd. I can understand them offering it. I don’t think it waters down anything. You could say the same thing about offering a base model.
I can understand them offering it, but it does water things down a bit. One of the major advantages that the MDX has over other AWD SUVs/CUVs is the torque vectoring rear axle of SH-AWD.
I believe 98% of the FWD are sold and driven in places like Florida and Southern Cali were AWD is not needed
For some AWD systems I could understand that logic... But the SH-AWD in the MDX is a different animal. The MDX doesn't just direct power to the rear when it detects slip; SH-AWD will proactively send power rearward. Also, the MDX has torque-vectoring, so the system can send power to the outboard wheels during cornering to help "push" the vehicle through the corner.

A SH-AWD equipped MDX drives so much better than a FWD model. It's night and day difference. Even in SoCal I wouldn't bother with a FWD model.

·
Registered
761 Posts
^^
I agree but folks were not buying MDX’s down south so Acura came out with the FWD to get the market share they were missing. Most people do not understand SH-AWD even people that own it.

No idea why they aren’t coming out with an AWD Odyssey. Sienna’s are killing it out here in NY / Long Island.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
No idea why they aren’t coming out with an AWD Odyssey. Sienna’s are killing it out here in NY / Long Island.
I believe the driveshaft and rear diff takes up too much space and kills the “magic seat” that Honda has. You can one-hand stow the rear seats and get a flat load floor.

But yes, AWD is the only thing keeping the Sienna relevant, imo. When people ask me about vans my response is “please consider no van. But if you must, then the Odyssey is hands-down the best van unless you *need* AWD, then get the Sienna.”

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe 98% of the FWD are sold and driven in places like Florida and Southern Cali were AWD is not needed.

My buddy at Acura said his dealership doesn’t and haven’t carried any FWD’s in NY.

Congrats on the new to you MDX.
Check out these how-to’s for maintaining you MDX yourself.
Hey thanks for those vids. They will definitely come in handy. So I was confused by the maintenance schedule since there doesn't appear to be one except oil change every 8500 or something like that. I'm not use to the manual not stating what needs to be changed when.

Also, it seems like the engine has a ticking noise at idle. Is this normal? Never owned a Honda.
EDIT - Found the sound to be normal as a result of the Direct Injection

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.