Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking under my car today and saw this caked on the boot. Is this a sign that something is leaking? The clean gray part is what I wiped. I looked around, didn’t see anything else caked up like this.

·
Registered
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD w/Tech
125 Posts
That's definitely indicative of oil collecting road grime. Being that it's so close to the oil filter, the way they have them positioned on ours cars if you don't put some type of shield that redirects oil flow from the control arms, it will dump all over the place. I like to take the wheel off so I can get at it easier and put a piece of cardboard that I shape and direct it into my catch-pan. That's only my guess with yours.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I agree - unless one takes special care, oil will get on that boot from an oil filter change. I use a Form-A-Funnel to direct the oil from there to the drain pan - it works great.

I suggest you clean the grime off of the boot area and then check it every now and then to see if it's accumulating grime - especially within the timeframe that the filter isn't changed.

It looks like maybe a Carquest oil filter - if you have some quicky lube type place do your oil changes it's almost guaranteed they won't take care to do a clean or even thorough job of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies. I bought this car 2 months ago and still learning. I initially thought it had to do with the oil filter, and you guys confirmed it. I will definitely be ordering that Form-A-Funnel for future oil changes. Thanks!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Form-a funnel is a MUST for oil filter changes on MDX.
I can't believe Acura engineers placed oil filter there, senseless design.

While you're there, check the strut for sign of leak. It's very possible the leak came from the strut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts