Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
This is my first time post here -- I'll confess to lurking around this forum for years and for the most part always being able to find something helpful. Today I have, but there's a piece of information I don't have.

Wife and I own a 2008 Acura MDX -- it's hers, she keeps the interior so clean it looks like a 2017. We were away from our cars for the past month, and when she came back she found a dead battery. I'm positive that is the known HFL issue (which I never disconnected). After the battery was replaced, she was driving and the car kept shutting down on her and then re-starting. She would mention it was the XM Radio going out.

Took it into car mechanic, battery is good, alternator is good (we replaced it last year). They didn't change anything. I do believe they cleaned up the battery terminals because she stated the car hasn't had the issue since (5 days) -- but like other people here she's lost confidence that the car is dependable.

Reading the forums here:
"Full Engine Shutdown While Driving"
"Gently Reminder Check Your Grounds"
"Best Battery Cable Terminal Replacement"

I believe that replacing the battery cables will fix the issue. Here's the question I have: What parts do I need to buy and get installed?
Since she also had a similar issue with loose positive terminal (and her car died on her in middle of road), I'm not allowed to touch her car.
We have a mechanic and I want to take the correct parts in and ask him to replace.

I am looking for some suggestions or part numbers -- it seems my method of google search comes up with some results, but I don't fully trust those.
Examples of parts I've seen:
32410STXA00 (positive cable?) -- via e-bay

I've also seen Duralast cables:
DT438B
via a different online store.

My understanding is that replacing the negative (or ground) battery cable is the way to start, because it is cheaper.

Thanks for all the insight over the years, hopefully my question is not a hard one.

·
Registered
220 Posts
When you say the car shuts off when driving, do you mean she is driving down the road and all of a sudden she looses power? Which means she looses power brakes, steering, etc? I don't think that is what you mean? if so that is ultra dangerous!

If you want to do the cables, start with the negative cable. Get OEM don't go aftermarket. Cheapest place is oemacuraparts.com, Tim will take good care of you.
Negative cable is easy and a quick job. You should replace it yourself, it is very simple. Do this when your wife is watching TV

I am not sure that you can conclusively say it is the HFL, but it could be! Why not just remove the HFL and find out what that does?

What did the car mechanic think the problem was?

·
Registered
3 Posts
When you say the car shuts off when driving, do you mean she is driving down the road and all of a sudden she looses power? Which means she looses power brakes, steering, etc? I don't think that is what you mean? if so that is ultra dangerous!

If you want to do the cables, start with the negative cable. Get OEM don't go aftermarket. Cheapest place is oemacuraparts.com, Tim will take good care of you.
Negative cable is easy and a quick job. You should replace it yourself, it is very simple. Do this when your wife is watching TV

I am not sure that you can conclusively say it is the HFL, but it could be! Why not just remove the HFL and find out what that does?

What did the car mechanic think the problem was?
Hey troye,

Just had this happen to me and I too replaced the negative ground cable on my 01 mdx. Failed on me today. Engine shut off ( including power steering, brakes) but everything internally stayed on (ac, power outlet, radio, hazards, power windows). Any advice ?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Had this happen to me. The positive post on the battery was slightly too small. I bought a $2 shim and reinstalled the cable and problem solved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts