Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

While vacationing in Miami, I passed by "The Collection" in Coral Gables and checked out the new Cayenne at the showroom (wow you guys should see the other cars they have...all under 1 roof :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: )

Anyway, in terms of looks, it is not bad at all. It's nicer than the Touareg, especially the front and sides. The interior actually doesn't look all that nice, certainly not as nice as an X5's, or some of the TOUAREG interior shots I've seen!

However the interior quality of materials and switches/buttons is first-rate.

In terms of roominess, it's virtually on par with the X5, front, rear, and trunk area. Which is GOOD but nothing great. Especially the trunk, MDX wins hands down.

I recall my friend commenting that he thought the moonroof was too small. I looked at it and it did seems kinda small, but perhaps it isn't much smaller than the MDX roof, I think it is, but slightly.

Visibility...well what can i say, the dash is kinda high, and the front seats are NOT, so I must say I prefer the MDX and X5 driving postions more, even though I didn't drive it yet.

Unfortunately I did not test drive it, and I bet that is where it truly will shine. However, at 60 grand out the door (at least that much, you know how Porsche is with their options!) it's not a good comparo to the MDX. I must say though, I like my MDX styling overall a little bit better!! The Cayenne has a very wide look from the rear, but so does the MDX, and that's great.

Well with 340 HP *GERMAN* (let alone Porsche) V8, I bet the thing flies. True, it weighs almost 5000 lbs, but still. I bet it handles like its on rails, the center of gravity "feels" like it is low, lower than an X5's even.

Build quality seems excellent.

Overall, for the money, I wouldn't get it. Because my other option as a consumer would be a BMW X5 4.6is, which fully loaded is under 65K, and that's got an Alpina-tuned 340HP V8, with more torque than Porsche's, and the 4.6 hands-down is the BEST looking SUV/Crossover vehicle sold today. It's perhaps more reliable too now that it's in its 3rd year of production. Plus, BMW has a superior warranty and maintenace schedule that is far cheaper I bet.

Alas, just like the GX470 or FX45 and all these cars that NOBODY will be buying for an out-the-door price under 50K, really isn't a comparison with the 40K MDX, so unless you really think your skimpy-on-options Touareg is noticably superior, or the kinda-skimpy-on-options RX330 due in a couple of months is noticably superior, MDX still takes the cake for the price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
According to Car and Driver the FX45 is cheaper and it out preforms both the Cayenne and the X5 in every category. The Cayenne is a better off-road vehicle. I would buy an FX in a heartbeat. The only SUV that beats the FX45 is the Turbo Version of the Cayenne and that's a hell of allot more the $65,000.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I like the FX45, but for the price I think the MDX is the better buy.
I am going back and forth between the FX45 and the MDX.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you think about it, FX45 is a bargain compared to BMW X5 4.6 or even the 4.4 model. I think you should compare the FX45 to the X5 because they share the same mission goals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
FX 35 vs Cayenne S

I'd be willing to bet that my FX35 AWD for $38 K will perform as well as the Porsche Cayenne S for $60K. No, I don't plan to take it off-road but who in ther right mind would take the Porsche off-road.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree as I said I would buy the FX in a heartbeat. It would be nice if I could buy both the FX and MDX. My heart is torn between the two FX45 or MDX. If I could get my wife to trade her Pilot for an MDX and I could get the FX45 everything would be fine.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I'm kinda lucky, sort of. I work in a very affluent part of ct and there are tons of top end car dealers on a road - Ferrari, Porche, Audi, Aston Martin, MB, BMW, etc. and ive seen a few Cayennes at the Porche dealer and they are ugly. I never thought I would see the front of a 911 on an SUV. YUCK!!! If you want a german SUV, buy the BMW or wait for the vw. My .02

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
X5 and you'll save around $10 to 15K

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah right. Come on guys. Infiniti chassis/suspension design and durability compared to a Porsche or BMW? And engine passing power at medium to high speeds? Overall stability? Nevermind the offroad crap (although WOW Porsche did their homework with VW!)

No contest guys. You know very well you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Durability?? Well, Porsche and BMW are not known for their lasting durability nor reliability. However, their performance and resale value are top-notch.

"...You know very well you get what you pay for." Where were you when i argued the virtues of Lexus LX470/GX470 vs. MDX??!!:2:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey tigmd99, we previously debated why Toyota made a 4.7L V8 with a mere 235 horses whilst they had a 4.3L putting out just as much peak torque and far more (300) horses.

Today I drove a friend's Sequoia V8. Now I see why. Ok, an LS430 for example CERTAINLY doesn't pull like that at very low RPM! Dang. That car is so huge, it is good to have such a flat torque curve from idle until 2000 RPM.

Even V8-powered BMW's don't pull QUITE like that at very low RPM.

Nonetheless I must say, that car had only 31,000 miles and it didn't feel ANY more refined nor better-built than an Explorer or Tahoe! :eek:

I was utterly surprised. The only nice thing is that leather was of much higher quality than found in a domestic vehicle. But that car was NOTHING I expected from Toyota. Flabbergasted.

Anyway sorry to jump around on topics inside threads (this is a Cayenne thread, started nonetheless by yours truly too), but let me say that I see your point now tigmd99 for Toyota making that engine for heavy duty stuff.

However let me just say I think they compromised WAAAAAAY too much! Their 4.3L 290/300HP V8 is far superior.

Hmm. I wonder if the Cayenne's V8's will drink oil voraciously. :p

·
Registered
550 Posts
ndahbar,

yeah, the 4.7L V8 is strong on the low-end and mid-range. It certainly is not a BMW engine at high-rpm (who is!), but, unlike many other truck engines, it is still extremely smooth even at high rpms. That has been one big criticisms of truck engines in the past...gets really noisy and unrefined at high rpms (thought of as a "compromise" for a truck engine). Thus, when the 4.7L v8 came out, everyone was very surprised at how smooth it was.

If you compare the 4.7L v8 to domestic engines a few years ago, you will see that it's output (HP) is about average (Ford, Chevy, Jeep). Only recently (over the past year or so) has manufacturers gone all out to try and win HP wars. In near future, all truck engines (including toyotas) will have AT LEAST 5.0 Liters...all to win the HP wars.

Unlike a car engine, to make excellent low-end torque AND HP (300/300), you need to make a BIG a$$ engine. If you make a smaller engine (4.3 or 4.4L), and want to achieve 300/300 club, then you compromise low-end torque, which is much needed in a truck or heavy-duty SUV.

Thus, i am not excited at all at the new Range Rover that uses the BMW 4.4L engine, nor VW Touareg. Oh yeah, i HATE turbochargers on a SUV (aka Cayenne and XC90).

The Sequoia is made in USA. It is a USA design. Many Toyota execs in Japan did not like the idea of the Sequoia, which they felt was too big. It is well-built, but i don't think to the standards of the Land Cruiser or the 4runner (3rd gen). Underneath the Sequoia is not as smooth as the Land Cruisers...clearly, it is not meant for heavy-duty off-roading.

Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
To all those who point out that the Porsche Cayenne is not a Best Buy...... no one buying a Porsche is looking for value. They want a Porsche. More expensive is the point, the whole point.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ndahbar said:

Overall, for the money, I wouldn't get it. Because my other option as a consumer would be a BMW X5 4.6is, which fully loaded is under 65K, and that's got an Alpina-tuned 340HP V8, with more torque than Porsche's, and the 4.6 hands-down is the BEST looking SUV/Crossover vehicle sold today. It's perhaps more reliable too now that it's in its 3rd year of production. Plus, BMW has a superior warranty and maintenace schedule that is far cheaper I bet.

My sentiments exactly ndahbar.

Porsche SUV? Forget about it.
I want the real deal, the GT2!!!!!!!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hell ya!

You have no idea. Porsche GT2 is un-godly fast. Did you know it's EVERY BIT as fast as a Lamborghini Murcielago (which has 580HP)? Amazing. It out-handles and out-brakes it too, nevermind having noticably better fuel economy, interior space, and it costs $100K less.

But it's equally as impractical. :p

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think Motor Trend TV on Speedvision has a GT2 doing a tail whip around a sharp turn in the intro. Everytime I watch it my heart elevates a little bit more.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Porsche Ceramic Composite Brake (PCCB) system. How cool is that thing on the GT2 eh! optional on the Turbo. I should rip some off a parked GT2 and put em on my MDX. :D

Nah seriously, GT2 is bad idea to own unless you use it for the track exclusively (almost). Might as well get the Turbo. It's got much better ground clearance and has comfier suspension. Also, you won't scare the freakin wits out of your dates in a turbo as you would in a GT2. :p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts