Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
Roadsession - I'm also facing a decision between re 2014 MDX or Lexus GX so found this thread quite an interesting read. Also, what is the song track to your track run web cam - sounds great and would like to know artist.

BTW my '03 still running strong at 130K, just received a recall notice for possible faulty airbag sensor that could cause deployment without accident. After 10 years, definitely got value and had no issues beyond regular maintenance.
Andre - I think historically the Japanese vehicles will have better longevity than German ones. I haven't tested the Lexus gx but that's because of my concern about handling / road feel - but if you plan on any off-road trails I would go Lexus GX over the mdx

But as both my wife and I are driving enthusiasts - (she also does track sessions) we had to go with the suv that gave us the best driving dynamics but also provides adequate utility like a third row

For us that eliminated most SUVs out there because the two row SUVs that have great driving dynamics like the cayenne or touareg have no third row.

And most SUVs with third row like landrover, gl, GM, Lincoln etc are land yachts

So that left us with the mdx and x5!

It was a supremely tough decision but the x5 won by the narrowest in margins for our specific needs- good luck with the purchase!

And yes blacksheep got the song name right ;-)

Everything I hear about the 2014 but I can't get over the vanilla styling. It looks like everything else out there. Maybe someday I'll get used to it.
In the meantime, I'll drive my "beer" 2007 MDX and I always have the MINI if I want more performance. (I track the MINI up here in WA state)

Discussion starter · #43 ·
Everything I hear about the 2014 but I can't get over the vanilla styling. It looks like everything else out there. Maybe someday I'll get used to it.
In the meantime, I'll drive my "beer" 2007 MDX and I always have the MINI if I want more performance. (I track the MINI up here in WA state)
I would've thought the 2007 MDX was the Scotch - it's aged perfectly!
The 2014 MDX is fresh bottled beer :29:

Enjoy in good health - this is a great forum!

As it seems lately....

This thread started out as a MDX question, and half way through turned into a comparison thread. It is now moved to the comparison section and retitled accordingly.

And since it is now a comparison thread, I'll chime in on my decision not to purchase another MDX.

I have owned several Expedition 4X4s since 1997 when they were introduced. The size was perfect and the BOF with V8 and 4X4 was great for anywhere I wanted to go. As the years passed and the family grew the Expedition fit even better. I ordered a 2007 Expedition sight unseen in May of 2007 and took delivery in August of 2007 with a 4X4 Eddie Bauer in Rust color and Black and Tan two tone interior. It was beautiful SUV. I should also mention here at this point, this SUV is my wife's ride mainly and mine when on long trips or hunting. I daily drive either a V8 MB E class, or now a LS430 Lexus through these years and I have a fun weekend car in a Porsche 911 4S. The 07' Expedition came with a poor design TPMS sensor strapped to the rims. These failed multiple times and I subsequently Lemon Law filed the vehicle and succeeded at hearing. That left me in a quandry in July 2008 looking for a SUV that my wife would drive and yet meet what I wanted for long trips and hunting.

At the time MB had MLs were horrible on build quality, GLs were astronomical in price, Gs were ridiculous looking and priced. BMW had an X5 that was trying to figure itself out, Audi had a Q7 that was a bloated Touraeg. GM had the Tahoe/Suburban of which I despise any GM product, Chrysler had a joke of a Durango. Infiniti had a QX56 that was weird, and Lexus had GX470 that was not quite sure what it was yet and an LX570 that was through the roof on price. The Toyota 4Runner and Nissan Pathfinders felt small.

Along comes me on the way home from work a different way and I stop in at the local Acura dealer after seeing a 2007 MDX on display out front. I drive it and discount it as too small, yet it drove terrifically on the road, had numerous tech items, and price was well in budget. Wife inquired why was I late coming home and I explained. Next day she went by there and drove the same MDX (2007 Tech/Ent). The third day I drove by the dealership again and watched a hauler unload seven MDXs. They had a mixed batch of 2007 & 2008 models. I went in and picked out the Dark Cherry Pearl 2007 they had. It was built in August in August of 2007. With the rebates and motivation of the dealer to clear 2007s off the lot, I purchased it for $38K plus tax and dealer fee and no accessories.

Over the last several years the MDX has held up to its reputation of quality and driveability, however on long trips I have detested driving it. From the sweaty back to the uncomfortable seat position for me it never really clicked with me. It did click with my wallet though.

Now, I eagerly awaited the 2014 MDX as I have looked for the least several years to dispose of the 07' MDX with something. I have come close to a Mercedes GL Diesel three times (2011 & 2012, and now 2013). A Landcruiser twice (2011 & 2013), and was hoping for the redesigned Expedition to be in 21014 which it wasn't and was pushed to 2015 with the new F150. So July 2013 came and went and we drove the first 2014 MDX tech/ent SH that arrived at the dealership. An Advance was not due in for two months. It drive too much like a car and not enough like a SUV for both of us. My wife commented on how it felt like a tall and shortened LS430. While she was not dead on, I got what she meant. Neither of us liked it and we agreed to hold onto the MDX a little bit more until I figured out we were going to do.

I test drove the 2013 GL450 (No diesel was available, order only), the Landcruiser, LX570, QX56, and GX460. The X5 was too small and weird for me. The Land Rover was far too problem prone for me, so we did not even look at it. The GX460 was ideal in size, ride and options, but it was lacking in appearance. I liked the Landcruiser a lot, yet despised the third row seats. Ditto on the LX570 and the $91K sticker price. I do believe if the GL350 had test driven well, we would have ended up with it. Since it wasn't available, I will not buy a vehicle that I cannot drive first when the drivetrain is significantly different from the year prior. The QX56 model we liked could only be had with the second row buckets and that was non start for us. That left the Landcruiser and the GX460. Then the 2014 GX 460 pictures started to leak with the facelift and minor changes inside. Only a couple more months and we could see and drive one in person. When the 2014s arrived we went down together and drove one. We drove a Landcruiser the same day. This was after numerous other models of minivans, pickup trucks etc. It had been narrowed down to two.

I made purchase quotes on both the 2014 GX460 and a 2013 Landcruiser. After a meal out we decided we hated the third row of the Landcruiser (and no option for a cargo cover due to the seats) more than the barn door of the GX460. Plus the GX460 looked a ton better and modern. Additionally, we did not need the size of the Landcruiser anymore either. So in October of 2013 I special ordered a 2014 GX460 Luxury with Driver's Support Package and few other items. It arrives in JAX Port this month and will be in our hands first of next month.

With all that being said, the MDX served us well. Albeit not exactly what we wanted, however true to its design and form. I also received an outstanding residual on it when I sold it last month. I do keep my vehicles fairly pristine with all maintenance records too include oil and bulb changes.

So while I will be here on the forum and with spirit of the MDX, we will now have a GX460 in the garage. I should also note here that I still have an Acura TL that remains in the garage for family use.

Randy B

I should note we got a left over 2013 model - we opted to skip the 2014 x5 as that too is at the first year of production and has the potential for a lot of teething problems
I doubt that considering the powertrain is the same in the 2014 as it is on the '13. Unlike the '14 MDX that is truly completely redesigned. Congrats on your purchase anyways.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

So after 24 hrs in the new mdx racking up about 50 mls and 36 hrs on the X5 for around 30 mls we've decided to go with the X5.
I commend your move. Again I have a 2013 535i and love the X5, but we paid over $20k less for the MDX Tech/Ent compared to the X5 ($43k vs. $66k as you paid).

Yes, the X5 is nicer - a lot nicer. Also assembled in South Carolina vs. Alabama, so that (should be) a wash (it's not yet - Alabama quality is ??? right now).

Next time I'll consider the X5 and the Lexus GX as other 2nd Gen MDX owners are buying.

we hated the third row of the Landcruiser (and no option for a cargo cover due to the seats) more than the barn door of the GX460.
We weren't sure at first about the barn-door on my wifes 'GX either. At times it's quite handy...other times it's a bit of a hassle. Of course back then a power rear hatch wasn't that common anyway so all of the hatches were a hassle for her. Good luck with the GX, my wife still says that and her Tahoe were her favorites, but she does like the MDX. I think she liked sitting up a little higher in the SUV"s vs more car-like seating in the MDX. I can't say I've ever been a GM fan, but the Tahoe's and Suburbans have treated me very well. I'm past due to swap my current Suburban ('09 with 140k miles), but I'd like to wait for the next gen to arrive. We have a fleet of them at work and have tried the Expedition XL's but they just do not hold up for off-road. Which is kind of funny because we only run F-250's for truck use. LOTS of problems with the air suspension on the XL's.

^Same exact thing here too! The Expedition is no bueno in just about every way but my father owns a trucking company and will only run F-350s while testing a dodge or GM every now and then but the Ford is still what stands out the most durable. Too bad they let the Expedition go to crap. I have also had my fair share of 07 and later Tahoes and Subs and have always loved them. Not sure about the looks of the 2015 ones though.

I'll probably go with a Yukon XL. I'm more interested in the additional power...6-7 adults, gear, luggage and my heavy foot...it struggles. I'd prefer to go with the Denali for the 400+hp but you lose low-range.
Yeah I agree, we had a '12 LTZ suburban and loaded up going to Vegas it was miserably slow. The 6.2 has been updated to where it should achieving about what the 5.3 gets now (I think, off the top of my head) and I think that would be the ideal way to go.

I'll probably go with a Yukon XL. I'm more interested in the additional power...6-7 adults, gear, luggage and my heavy foot...it struggles. I'd prefer to go with the Denali for the 400+hp but you lose low-range.
Yeah I agree, we had a '12 LTZ suburban and loaded up going to Vegas it was miserably slow. The 6.2 has been updated to where it should achieving about what the 5.3 gets now (I think, off the top of my head) and I think that would be the ideal way to go.
wow I'd hate to see you guys' fuel bills

a (very rich) friend of mine has an Escalade EXT and he's described that truck's fuel consumption as "tragic". If it's expensive enough to make him notice, it must be impressive ...

Here in Quebec with premium gas nearly $6 / gallon, very few people can afford that.

wow I'd hate to see you guys' fuel bills
It's really no worse than an MDX to operate, possibly better when you consider it doesn't require premium. I have the LTZ 5.3L with the six-speed. It's rated 15/21 and easily gets 20-21mpg on long highway trips even with a heavy foot. I generally average around 17-18 with my normal routine. If you did a lot of around town the mileage would drop quite a bit but we do very little of that in any of our vehicles. Lifetime average on our MDX is around 19.

The Escalade has the 6.2L similar to the Denali and it is indeed more of a gas hog. It's rated 13/18 but I'm sure some of that is due to the full-time AWD vs the part-time/auto system on the 5.3L trucks.

My mom had an '08 Escalade that I drove often, it's computer claimed a 14.7 avg (88 octane) and over the course of my '08 LTZ Avalanche, '09 Z71 Tahoe, '12 LTZ Sub, '13 LTZ Tahoe they claimed about 16-17.7 mpg (88 octane as well). I wouldn't say that's hardly less than what I'm seeing with the '13 MDX that I have now and it requires premium.

It really is an annoying misconception that full size vehicles are gas hogs.

Of course the mpg isn't stellar but nothing less than the majority of most 2 row and nearly all 3 row crossovers. My sister has an '11 Expedition that says it averages 14.X and my sisters driving is relatively granny status. I would say the GM full size utes get great mpg and I've also owned a GMC Acadia that got nearly the same mpg as a Tahoe it replaced. Like I said, misconception. You don't have to be rich to fill them up, or even buy one.

Like I said, misconception. You don't have to be rich to fill them up, or even buy one.
yeah I was exagerating somewhat but disposable income and prices are different here

A 2G MDX Tech was $60K here, and don't forget about the 15% sales tax ... so $69K out the door. Filling it up with premium is $115. I figure a well-equipped full-size domestic truck is probably in the same ballpark

Don't need to be "rich" but you have to be doing all right

I guess in the US prices are very different. It's not uncommon to see a fully loaded ute in a trailer park or low income development, here or anywhere I've traveled to. And financing a vehicle in the US is a piece of pie, getting a house seems to be another story.

Edit: Dang vehicle sales tax is 3% in the state of New Mexico, very affordable.

A 2G MDX Tech was $60K here, and don't forget about the 15% sales tax ... so $69K out the door. Filling it up with premium is $115. I figure a well-equipped full-size domestic truck is probably in the same ballpark

Don't need to be "rich" but you have to be doing all right
2nd gen MDX-Tech was $40k here for quite awhile. Cheaper than a lot of other similar sized well equpped SUV's....Grand Cherokee, Durango, Acadia, Explorer. The Yukon XL Denali I priced awhile back was $60k. I think these prices are silly enough and would choke big-time buying a new car up north.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.