Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
Agree that the drive is very nice, however my new 2014 Advance MDX has two issues. One, the steering makes a noise that the service department is because of the "electric" steering. The other much more concerning issue is hesitation and stuttering when accelerating. This occurs daily 1-3 times during the day. It usually occurs when accelerating from a standstill or when going very slowly. At times it feels like the car is going to cut off. Unfortunately happens a lot when making turns at stop lights or when pulling onto busy highways. Anyone else experience this? Otherwise very pleased.
I am having the same noise issue coming from my steering wheel. Almost like a tattoo gun going off for 3 seconds or a cell phone vibrating on a hard surface. I am taking mine in to the dealership next monday to address the issue. I also have had significant creaks and squeaks coming from the passenger side dash and passenger side door area.

I have been very disappointed considering this is a $45000 SUV. I came from a BMW 335i and the fit and finish, lack of real wood, intensely slow computer system, and general hollowness of the the MDX bother me. I plan on keeping a couple years then looking elsewhere. I tried it in the first place because I had a 2005 Acura RL. Interestingly it had the same computer and NAV as my current MDX...no upgrade in 8 years...sad.

^^^ oh somebody switched your nav with 05 Acura RL nav. Not good lol

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Ok, so dealer let me take the test car home. I've had it now for a day, and put about 50 miles of mixed highway and city driving.

The tester has the rattle from the engine at idle and as it accelerates - the identical noise that has been documented on this site. And as some of you have pointed out, the panels do not fit together properly straight down from the A pillar and therefore it's also off by the door / B pillar...

The BMW dealer has offered us to let us keep the X5 for a couple days as well. Will report back.

Ok, so dealer let me take the test car home. I've had it now for a day, and put about 50 miles of mixed highway and city driving.

The tester has the rattle from the engine at idle and as it accelerates - the identical noise that has been documented on this site. And as some of you have pointed out, the panels do not fit together properly straight down from the A pillar and therefore it's also off by the door / B pillar...

The BMW dealer has offered us to let us keep the X5 for a couple days as well. Will report back.
I considered an X5 - too expensive and 3rd row is special-order (actually any X5 is still 8-10 week lead time). I own a 2013 535i (previously 2011 535i and various M3's), and the MDX is a better station wagon.

If BMW brought over the Touring we would have gotten that instead.

Never considered Cayenne or other German models.

I've had my MDX since June and just turned over 15K. The only issues are the well vented frustrations and bugs with the center stack/nav/voice/climate/etc. electronics. But the handling and drive have been awesome. Also, the "safety" and driver convenience features like blind spot indicator, adaptive cruise and even land keeper assist. But those are secondary when compared to the drive.

As for a BMW, I find it too small in the rear. The MDX 3rd row seat is not great but it is better and I have actually sat back there for a one hour trip when we needed seating for 6.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Dan
Thanks - we are truly torn on the decision - we've now had the x5 for over a day from the dealer and drove it through yesterday's blizzard where we got 14" of snow!

The x5 the dealer gave us lists at $68k - and also comes with the air suspension, third row, and almost all the toys the mdx had

It has the cinammon colored interior and it has that Classic German elegance that's not necessarily better, but just a very different experience when seated in the cockpit

It's a great car but we are wondering if it's worth $10k more than the mdx

It goes back in the morning - we will sleep over it and decide after breakfast !

Let us know what you decide. Everyone has different needs and preferences. At least you are doing your research, getting an extended test drive and going in with your eyes wide open. I was foolish and did not do so. I was impressed with the MDX on the short test drive and bought it on the spot. I would say that, though an awesome car, not what I was actually setting out to buy (something with more off-pavement and rough backroad capabilities than my Lexus RX350). I probably should have waited a year to see what bugs surfaced and to see if they were addressed in the 2015. And now I am revisiting options for something more like a Land Cruiser or even Land Rover that I can comfortably take on rough logging and Park Service roads or even pull a camping trailer. Very different than what the MDX and BMW are optimized for!

Good luck with your decision!

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Dan - a couple of my friends went with the LR4. Now several iterations later and finally some cash injection from TATA - they've become more reliable - great off-road capabilities, seats seven, and oh my gosh what a cabin! Although the X5 uses very high quality materials for the interior it feels austere compared to the LR4.

Of course if you spring for a range rover ... I would look at G-wagen too... They're beasts and despite that it's become standard issue for Hollywood types it's still king of the off-road !

But I think the new range rover went on a huge weightloss program and is more fuel efficient!

Sorry. A bit of topic. So I sat in a new 2014 LR4 yesterday (it had just arrived and was still in "travel" mode so couldn't be driven.) Interesting. No stick. You shift with a knob in the middle of the center console and with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. The prior models have a knob for setting the Terrain Response system to different modes but that is now a rocker switch. And they have gone to a super-charged 6 with an 8-speed tranny rather than the V8 with a 6. The marketing is that this will improve gas mileage. The sales guy told me it is actually because RR/LR are going to make only 2 engines, both super-charged, to reduce cost. How this will affect the power of the LR4 for pulling trailers and such is to be seen. Also, I drove a 2011 LR4. It felt like it was floating over the road. Actually a bit unsettling. But they did have me take it on a dirt road and through a major rut/pothole that surely would have grounded my MDX. No problem for the LR4 and that was in "normal" terrain mode. Fascinating. The interior of the LR4 is very well engineered in my mind. But the MDX is not a bad second - if you don't need the off road capabilities.

Sorry. A bit of topic. So I sat in a new 2014 LR4 yesterday
I assume you've considered the Lexus GX? We had an '04 and my wife still says that was one of her favorites over the years. They're far from a superior handling vehicle on-road but certainly comfortable unless you're trying to rally-race in the family hauler. The GX (or 4Runner for that matter) keeps you from going all the way to the Landcruiser size but is still an equally capable vehicle.

It's an amazing difference going from a car suspension like the MDX to more of a truck which is what i'm used to driving. My daughter has a friend that lives on a ranch and the roads are very rough and steep getting out there. I normally drive my Pathfinder or Suburban and basically just blast my way out there like nothing. My wife and I drove the MDX out there awhile back and this thing does not handle wash-board type roads, particularly up steep hills. The suspension just couldn't keep up and we basically slowed to a crawl up a few of the hills. If you never leave a paved road like 90% of the buyers you'll never know or care, but to me the on-road difference between a real SUV and an MDX is not nearly as great as the off-road difference. In other words...sometimes it's worth giving up a little on-road comfort to pick up a significant amount of utility.

It's great to see all the optimism regarding the issues with the new MDX. I've always liked the MDX and have considered purchasing every generation thus far but always end up in a coupe instead. I've been lurking on this forum for quite a while now, but this is my first post.

I've never absolutely needed the cargo / passenger room that a 3 row SUV provides, but could use it. That's why I waited for the 2014 MDX to arrive before purchasing my next vehicle. After test driving this generation I have come to the same conclusion as always when it comes to the MDX, for me it provides the greatest value in the segment.

After doing some research though I too am a bit concerned about all the electrical gremlins in new Hondas/Acuras. I've also researched the new Accord Touring and see that they're having numerous issues, probably even more widespread than with the MDX, but it has been out a bit longer I believe.

While I understand that people are more prone to post regarding issues / problems than anything else and that first year models may have some kinks to work out, I also remember thinking that about the automatic transmission issue with the 2001 Acura CL-S I bought when they first came out.

I bought that car instead of others on my list because of the value it offered and because of Honda/Acura's reputation for reliability. I ended up going through at least 5 transmissions on that car and never felt safe in it due to the way the transmission would give out and the situations it left me stranded in. Due to that experience I'm obviously not totally sold on Acura's reliability any longer.

Right now I'm driving another first year model, a 2007 BMW 335i convertible. They also had numerous wide spread issues, but I was never adversely affected by any of them. I did have the recalls and TSB's performed replacing parts like the high pressure fuel pump and injectors, but thankfully was never placed in a dangerous situation or left stranded far from home, or anywhere for that matter.

So I guess it really does come down to luck, but I would really hate to have to go through another ownership experience like that of my CL-S. And, of course, I know that type of experience can happen with any manufacturer, but I can't help but connect the dots between the MDX and the Accord and think that these issues may be more complicated and widespread than believed by many.

Unfortunately, I've set a budget that I want to stick to this time around :D and the SH-AWD MDX is one of the few cars that's desirable to me while keeping that budget in mind. I keep going back to the Germans, but that will take me over budget and they aren't exactly too reliable in the long-term. Also, my experience with the BMW dealership network here in South Florida has been a nightmare. I wasn't to thrilled with Acura's service in the past either, but compared to BMW it's heaven.

I've thought about waiting for the 2015 MDX to see if the issues are resolved but am getting very antsy for a new car and really don't want to hang on to the 335 much longer. Anyhow, sorry to hijack the OP's thread, but I'm just very unsure of what to do at this point. I've thought about just going for it and hoping for the best, but the CL-S experience always comes to mind. Sorry for the rant, but hopefully more and more positive posts come through that will give me a bit more confidence in having better luck with Acura this time around.

Thanks for the insights, skinny2. I did look at the GX and liked the interior and the move to the next Gen of their software systems. But there is one show-stopper for me with the GX and you can probably guess what it is. 2 words - "barn door". I am sure most owners don't mind and some even like it. I actually prefer a split gate like the Land Cruiser, BMW X5, Land Rover, etc. or at least a powered lift gate. It is what it is. As for the Land Cruiser I had one once and loved it. I may go back. I just wish they would so something with the seating and being able to make everything go flat like nearly everyone else has. The MDX has done a great job with this as has Land Rover in the LR4. But Toyota actually made it worse in the 2014 LX 570. The third row now has "powered" folding for the seats which in turn means you cannot remove them from the vehicle!

And the point you make about washboard roads is precisely what I am dealing with on the MDX. I'm not faulting the MDX. I do fault myself for listening to the MDX's siren song of great on-pavement feel and handling and all the cool new tech. Which, by the way, is great for long, freeway road trips. I bought immediately after my first test drive. It was foolish not to wait, to do more research. I assumed that the MDX was more hardcore off-pavement than it is. I, again foolishly, had not understood the difference between "crossover" and "SUV". Now I know why my son (4Runner owner) laughed when I referred to it as an SUV. And why my brother, after sharing some pictures of an old mining town in Colorado that he had gone to in his FJ Cruiser, told me, "...you can't get there in your new car" with the emphasis on "car". ;-) Don't get me wrong. The MDX was a joy to drive on a couple of long road trips this year. But it has its limits as all cars do and I should have done my homework.

but I'm just very unsure of what to do at this point. I've thought about just going for it and hoping for the best
You may have read my posts where I stated I haven't had most of the issues some other posters have had and some of the items some are complaining about I think are trivial and not worth worrying about but that's subjective. Not being able to press a single physical button to turn on a seat heater doesn't even rise to the level of an annoyance to me but it seems to be a big deal to some people.

A lot of the issues some people are complaining about could be fixed or improved with a software update. The problem is that I don't think any of us know if Acura has plans to address the issues with a software update or what their software update strategy is (or if they have one). We do know that the newer MDXs have a later software version than the MDXs built in the earlier summer. We don't know what that might have resolved though - at least I haven't been able to glean it from this website.

These kinds of issues are something being faced by all auto manufacturers that have the software features in their vehicles and from what I've read many of them are far from perfect in the eyes of the users.

Regardless, if you haven't done so already, go test drive the MDX. Take it on the freeway, over some potholes/dips, around some corners, drive it spiritidly, etc. and see what you think of it.

Of course if you spring for a range rover ... I would look at G-wagen too... They're beasts and despite that it's become standard issue for Hollywood types it's still king of the off-road !
On the G-Wagen you might want to start the evaluation by looking at the price - even before considering the hideous box design. Seriously - over $100K for a vehicle you'd likely be afraid to take off road for fear of damaging it for that price unless you have money to burn.

btw - I've done extensive off-roading in deserts and mountains. If you plan to do a reasonable amount of off roading the vehicle will get some brush scratches, at least minor rock dents underneath, and perhaps much more so that s/b considered if planning to buy a >$50k vehicle to take real off roading much. I did it with a much less expensive but very capable vehicle (Jeep Cherokee).

Discussion starter · #38 ·
So after 24 hrs in the new mdx racking up about 50 mls and 36 hrs on the X5 for around 30 mls we've decided to go with the X5.

Yes it's third row is teeny compared to the mdx, but we realized we probably need that 2 times a year when extended family visits

There's something about the Tuetonic machine that the mdx is very close to matching but what won us out was the quality of the materials, good mix of hard buttons and screen ware and handling

I should note we got a left over 2013 model - we opted to skip the 2014 x5 as that too is at the first year of production and has the potential for a lot of teething problems

List price out the door it was $72,500 - final price $66,500

Thank you everyone for your advice and input during this process !

Especially Danrhiggins and mdstang you guys are model forum members!

Roadsession - I'm also facing a decision between re 2014 MDX or Lexus GX so found this thread quite an interesting read. Also, what is the song track to your track run web cam - sounds great and would like to know artist.

BTW my '03 still running strong at 130K, just received a recall notice for possible faulty airbag sensor that could cause deployment without accident. After 10 years, definitely got value and had no issues beyond regular maintenance.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.