Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Porsche BMW guy looking at MDX and other makes for comparison.

9K views 55 replies 21 participants last post by  skinny2 
#1 ·
Hi
Just a way of intro I'm a former Acura Legend owner - some say the golden age of Acura ;) I have since become a porsche and BMW guy - but now seriously considering the new MDX. The old gen 1 and gen2 mdx had horrific styling in my eyes but the new one has the balanced, elegant looks of the Acura legend and newer audis - and I figured combined with the legendary reliability and fit finish of what I remember of Acura - I couldn't go wrong.

I know every first year model has some kinks to iron out - I've had my fair share of problems with gen 1 Germans - but I have to say they were minor annoyances - not the kind of horror stories I am reading on this forum :eek:

So I'm looking for some guidance from you folks and encouragement frankly that I can move forward and the common issues I'm reading - the inability to turn off the car, the inexplicable Christmas tree of warning lights and the rattle during acceleration and midrange town speeds all have definitive resolutions -

Thanks !

#3 ·
My 2014 MDX doesn't have any of the issues you mentioned. As is typical, people who post on a forum like this are a self-selected bunch who'll 'generally' post if they have issues but not post otherwise. You need to take what's posted here with a grain of salt, not because of the posts being untrue, I believe the posters are genuine, but because for every person posting about being unable to turn off the vehicle or the thump sounds, for example, there may be hundreds without the issues who simply don't post because they have no impetus to.

In my case, I first posted to share info with others but in my case practical info about how to install a factory roof rack and rails. If not for that, I might have never posted here and I'd be yet another one with a vehicle with none of the issues people post about who you never hear from leading to a fairly heavily negatively biased series of postings.

If you read some of the forums on almost any other vehicle you'll see the same phenomenon. It can lead one to not want to buy anything.

btw - I agree with you on the previous gen MDXs. They've always looked awkwardly styled to me - not bad, but something just 'off', I think the rear quarter. I think the 2014 is a more symmetrically styled vehicle. This is obviously very subjective but just my opinion.

The best thing to do is to get out and drive a 2014 MDX. Take it out for a good extended test drive covering surface streets, the freeway, some rougher road sections, a pothole or two, some quick turns, some fast lane switching, quick acceleration from different speeds, etc. That all focuses on performance and ride/handling which I think are the most important aspects as you might as well coming from a Porsche/BMW perspective. Pay attention to the wind noise, any rattles, thumps, general noise/quietness, etc. (do the test drive with the radio off most of the time). Be sure to repeat the tests in whichever particular vehicle you're planning to buy to make sure the one you end up with doesn't have some of the thumps, etc. some people here are complaining about.

Beyond that, try out the features and if you're serious about it, download the owner's/nav manuals from acura.com and read through them to inform you further about the vehicle and be sure to research any areas particularly important to you.

If you're looking for an SUV in this general price range, especially one with 3 rows of seating, you'd do well to consider the MDX. Obviously, many people on this forum chose it over the BMW and other competitors.

#5 ·
I used to run an e36 325is and then an e39 530i then now almost exclusively a 911 Carrera 4 - mostly at nhms in louden, NH....

Here's a view from my dash cam

The pca events permit non Porsches to run too...:)

Every once in a while someone will bring their cayenne to the track... I would buy a cayenne now but no third row and bmw x5 third row is unusable

#8 ·
I have a 2007 BMW 335i - lowered, BOV, CSL trunk lid, etc. Before I went to grad school, I used to run my e36 at VIR in Virginia a few times a year. Unfortunately student loan payments keep me away from the track. I think our local-ish PCA club allows all marques.

I picked up an 07 MDX for the wife a couple months ago. So far, we've been pretty happy with it. Though, I don't get to drive it too often.

#9 ·
Roadsession, that video clip was sweet. I am not an "enthusiast" but it looks fun. The closest I ever came to that was driving a rented 3-series BMW on the Autobahn early one Sunday morning a few years ago. Almost no one else on the road and I hit 220 kph. I have also had my '14 MDX over 100mph on a couple of (straight) back roads in Montana. But that would be nothing like driving a track as you do. (I do ride 17 lbs pieces of rolling carbon fiber down mountain roads at 40 mph with nothing between me and the road but lycra shorts. At 61 years old that is enough of a rush for me!)

For me as well my only Acura prior to this was an '83 Legend. Loved that car.

As for this '14 MDX, yes, there are issues. Mostly Gen 1 issues. I think the parts of the car for which Honda/Acura have a good reputation are very solid with only the rare and minor kink. That is the mechanical stuff. When it comes to the electronic/computerized stuff is where we are seeing some issues. They were VERY ambitious with what they introduced in this car. The Nav system is a new supplier, voice command appears new and they overhauled the whole center stack with the move to 2 screens and a touch screen to replace many of the buttons. That part of the car is a disappointment to many but not a show stopper for most.

If we look at 1st gen anything I think the more you change, the greater the likelihood of issues. That is even more true in the complex world of software/firmware and in particular systems with complex human interfaces. (Humans don't follow physical laws like the mechanical bits do.)

As mdxstang points out, forums like this are skewed towards people venting or looking for help with issues.

My MDX Advance must have been one of the earliest builds as I bought it off the lot the first day they went on sale. (It has been ordered for the President of the dealership but they were thrilled to have a buyer.) So I have over 6 months and just about 15K miles on it. I love the way it drives. Great "road trip" and "curvy mountain road" crossover when you consider the size. I came from a Lexus RX350 so clearly not a BMW or Porche class. I look at BMW X5 but it was a bit smaller than I wanted. I have taken mine off-pavement a number of times and it did find (though my next vehicle will likely be a true off-roader.)

If I were looking at this now and still had the Lexus I would probably wait until the '15s came out to see if they had addressed some of the minor issues. As it is, I will likely hold onto this for a couple years to see if they address the center-stack, Nav/Voice/Climate/Infotainment stuff. (I would like to see some hard buttons come back or more control from the steering wheel as I hate having to look at the touch screen while driving.)

#11 ·
Just back from my first test drive of 2014 MDX

I test drove a 2014 MDX with SH AWD and Technology Package this evening.
Just for kicks I asked the dealer to let me drive a 2012 2nd Gen MDX with Tech Pkg just for comparison.

OH MY GOSH - it's like the difference between beer and scotch. It's not that one's better than the other - they're just completely different experiences - but for me, the 2014 outperformed the 2012 in every single dimension I could think of. The 2014 feels more European, tighter, and more agile than the 2012, and I felt like I was taking 3 steps back when I got back in the 2012.

And it's at least $15K cheaper than a comparable BMW, Audi or Benz.

Since this will be the wife mobile - she will have to drive it tomorrow and decide...but man, I'm impressed with how far Honda has come!

#12 ·
I test drove a 2014 MDX with SH AWD and Technology Package this evening.
Just for kicks I asked the dealer to let me drive a 2012 2nd Gen MDX with Tech Pkg just for comparison.

OH MY GOSH - it's like the difference between beer and scotch. It's not that one's better than the other - they're just completely different experiences - but for me, the 2014 outperformed the 2012 in every single dimension I could think of. The 2014 feels more European, tighter, and more agile than the 2012, and I felt like I was taking 3 steps back when I got back in the 2012.

And it's at least $15K cheaper than a comparable BMW, Audi or Benz.

Since this will be the wife mobile - she will have to drive it tomorrow and decide...but man, I'm impressed with how far Honda has come!
I hope it's not like the difference between beer and scotch. I don't like either of them.

#13 ·
Interesting. One of the gripes Consumer Report's has with the new model is it has lost the excellent handling and braking of the second generation.
The previous version was tops in the category with a 85 point rating versus the new model's drop to 79 points. The best feature of the new model is the better fuel economy. Of course it is IMHO and you know what they say about that

#17 ·
I have to say I read that same Consumer Report review and was baffled! It was the opposite of the Car and Driver review:

"A wheelbase that grows by 2.7 inches helps improve the ride quality, and two extra inches in length add cargo capacity. The new model sits an inch closer to the ground, nominally reducing its off-road capabilities, and Acura shrunk the MDX more than an inch in width to make it easier to park. This does tighten up the passenger compartment, but it’s still comfortably roomy. The new dimensions hurt weight distribution a bit, with front bias up two percent to 58.

You’d never know it, however, thanks to Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive. This is still the MDX’s signature feature, and a new calibration in Sport mode sends even more torque to the outside rear wheel, speeding directional changes so much that you’ll have to dial back your normal steering inputs. Selecting Sport on the MDX’s integrated dynamics system (IDS) sharpens throttle response and adds heft to the wheel. The steering is quicker than in the old model, and weighting is as good, regardless of the switch from hydraulic to electric assist.

Acura swapped out the old model’s rear multilink suspension for a more compact setup with coil-over shocks. The subframe now has extra bracing and more substantial body mounts. The damping is firm, and body motions are controlled well enough to provide encouragement while still serving as reminders that you’re in a 4350-pound vehicle. The brake feel improves with more immediate bite and better modulation. Acura’s Agile Handling Assist appears here, as in the RLX, using the brakes during initial turn-in to help induce rotation. Combined with the SH-AWD, the two types of torque vectoring work seamlessly to help the MDX banish understeer when driven hard."

And then of course there's the infamous laptime set by the new MDX on Nürburgring - it was a full 8 seconds faster than the outgoing model!

In any case I think the "seat of the pants" feel is all subjective, just like design. But I think Honda may have another hit on its hands...

#14 ·
MDX Advance

Agree that the drive is very nice, however my new 2014 Advance MDX has two issues. One, the steering makes a noise that the service department is because of the "electric" steering. The other much more concerning issue is hesitation and stuttering when accelerating. This occurs daily 1-3 times during the day. It usually occurs when accelerating from a standstill or when going very slowly. At times it feels like the car is going to cut off. Unfortunately happens a lot when making turns at stop lights or when pulling onto busy highways. Anyone else experience this? Otherwise very pleased.

#15 ·
Agree that the drive is very nice, however my new 2014 Advance MDX has two issues. One, the steering makes a noise that the service department is because of the "electric" steering. The other much more concerning issue is hesitation and stuttering when accelerating. This occurs daily 1-3 times during the day. It usually occurs when accelerating from a standstill or when going very slowly. At times it feels like the car is going to cut off. Unfortunately happens a lot when making turns at stop lights or when pulling onto busy highways. Anyone else experience this? Otherwise very pleased.
Good lord that sounds awful. Hopefully it's an anomaly and not a general problem! Was it like that from the beginning or did it develop these issues?

#19 ·
Good lord that sounds awful. Hopefully it's an anomaly and not a general problem!
My MDX has none of those problems reported by some other posters here. Hopefully the dealers will end up fixing the issues on the problems vehicle some people have.

I think the handling on the 2014 MDX is excellent. It's very tight and responsive yet not unduly harsh. It can make quick lane changes if need be and does very well (and is fun) in mountain twisties. It's fun to drive. (I keep it in 'Sport' mode all the time)

I have to say I read that same Consumer Report review and was baffled! It was the opposite of the Car and Driver review
I didn't read the CR review but I'd put more stock in what 'Car and Driver' and other driving enthusiast mags have to say about a vehicle than CR. I didn't do back to back tests with the previous model but I can say that the 2014 is great in the handling department. I do know that in objective measures the new MDX is faster than the previous one in some of the objective measures and I think the previous gen was very good to begin with.

#25 ·
^^^ oh somebody switched your nav with 05 Acura RL nav. Not good lol

#26 ·
Ok, so dealer let me take the test car home. I've had it now for a day, and put about 50 miles of mixed highway and city driving.

The tester has the rattle from the engine at idle and as it accelerates - the identical noise that has been documented on this site. And as some of you have pointed out, the panels do not fit together properly straight down from the A pillar and therefore it's also off by the door / B pillar...

The BMW dealer has offered us to let us keep the X5 for a couple days as well. Will report back.

#27 ·
I considered an X5 - too expensive and 3rd row is special-order (actually any X5 is still 8-10 week lead time). I own a 2013 535i (previously 2011 535i and various M3's), and the MDX is a better station wagon.

If BMW brought over the Touring we would have gotten that instead.

Never considered Cayenne or other German models.

#29 ·
I've had my MDX since June and just turned over 15K. The only issues are the well vented frustrations and bugs with the center stack/nav/voice/climate/etc. electronics. But the handling and drive have been awesome. Also, the "safety" and driver convenience features like blind spot indicator, adaptive cruise and even land keeper assist. But those are secondary when compared to the drive.

As for a BMW, I find it too small in the rear. The MDX 3rd row seat is not great but it is better and I have actually sat back there for a one hour trip when we needed seating for 6.

#30 ·
Dan
Thanks - we are truly torn on the decision - we've now had the x5 for over a day from the dealer and drove it through yesterday's blizzard where we got 14" of snow!

The x5 the dealer gave us lists at $68k - and also comes with the air suspension, third row, and almost all the toys the mdx had

It has the cinammon colored interior and it has that Classic German elegance that's not necessarily better, but just a very different experience when seated in the cockpit

It's a great car but we are wondering if it's worth $10k more than the mdx

It goes back in the morning - we will sleep over it and decide after breakfast !

#31 ·
Let us know what you decide. Everyone has different needs and preferences. At least you are doing your research, getting an extended test drive and going in with your eyes wide open. I was foolish and did not do so. I was impressed with the MDX on the short test drive and bought it on the spot. I would say that, though an awesome car, not what I was actually setting out to buy (something with more off-pavement and rough backroad capabilities than my Lexus RX350). I probably should have waited a year to see what bugs surfaced and to see if they were addressed in the 2015. And now I am revisiting options for something more like a Land Cruiser or even Land Rover that I can comfortably take on rough logging and Park Service roads or even pull a camping trailer. Very different than what the MDX and BMW are optimized for!

Good luck with your decision!

#32 ·
Dan - a couple of my friends went with the LR4. Now several iterations later and finally some cash injection from TATA - they've become more reliable - great off-road capabilities, seats seven, and oh my gosh what a cabin! Although the X5 uses very high quality materials for the interior it feels austere compared to the LR4.

Of course if you spring for a range rover ... I would look at G-wagen too... They're beasts and despite that it's become standard issue for Hollywood types it's still king of the off-road !

But I think the new range rover went on a huge weightloss program and is more fuel efficient!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.