Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
July 2002 issue of PM tests 10 crossover vehicles including the MDX.
They picked the Highlander as their all around favorite for the price, but their assessment of the MDX was no less than glowing.
"one of the strongest engines in this test backed by a crisp shifting 5 speed automatic".
Only negative was about it being a bit tail happy in fast cornering.
They said it has well placed controls and "boasts one of the smartest and best furnished interiors..."
They also liked the additional 3rd row.
"The only downside is its $40,000 price. But there's no denying you get what you pay for."
It was the 2nd fastest vehicle, the fastest was a Toyota Matrix which they also threw in the fray. Kind of strange, it was more of an 'all around' review than a pure comparision. It had to be considering they included the Hyundai Santa Fe, Saturn Vue, Honda Pilot, Ford Escape, RX300, Ponitiac Aztec and Buick Rendevous.
The Buick had one high point, the fastest 0 to 30 time !!!
The MDX pulled 8.45 0 to 60, and the Matrix 7.97. An excellent demonstration of what is meant by power to weight ratio.
On the Pilot they said they liked the 'big Honda' and about the only thing negative was it being somewhat lethargic in the handling department.

·
Registered
147 Posts
They actually put the MDX in the class of crossover SUVs? I don't see that happening at all especially the highlander.

What I see happening out there for crossover SUVs is a lot less truck ultility and more sport.
How did PM come to evaluate crossover SUVs, what parameters did they consider when rating each truck. Maybe that is why they were less than glowing for the MDX, as it really isn't considered a crossover SUV. Although it does come close.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
crete said:
They actually put the MDX in the class of crossover SUVs? I don't see that happening at all especially the highlander.

What I see happening out there for crossover SUVs is a lot less truck ultility and more sport.
How did PM come to evaluate crossover SUVs, what parameters did they consider when rating each truck. Maybe that is why they were less than glowing for the MDX, as it really isn't considered a crossover SUV. Although it does come close.
I said they were NO less than glowing about the MDX.
It was really a potupurri of cars, I don't think it was much more than that. I don't think there is a standard definition of what a crossover vehicle is, and if there was it's probably continually changing.

·
Registered
147 Posts
DaleB said:

I said they were NO less than glowing about the MDX.
It was really a potupurri of cars, I don't think it was much more than that. I don't think there is a standard definition of what a crossover vehicle is, and if there was it's probably continually changing.
You're right, you did say No less than glowing, thanks for the correction and the PM results.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts