Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ugly....

It's like taking a tour of a slaughterhouse or something....."Yeah, here's where we butcher & skin 'em".....

Very sick......

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Ugh make me want to invest in a addon alarm.

·
Registered
928 Posts
A) this is what you get with Lo Jack :)( at least it pays for itself w/insurance, but i'd think 2-3 times if my car was stolen to have police activate it - better NOT see yours in such condition)

B) what is the original owner's shock in comparison to the one who actually buys the 'repaired' one and starts having all kinds of problems - NO REPAIR can match the factory assembly, period (notice that most 'salvages' are SOLD already)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Just curious as to what would explain the multiple MDX salvages at one yard. I believe that I read that the Amtrak train that crashed in Florida last week had a number of auto carrier cars behind the passenger cars that also crashed. I wonder if this was a shipment of Acuras destined for our anxiously waiting brethen in Florida?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Very depressing. I was wondering just the other day how attractive the MDX was to car thieves, seeing as how it's been so limited in availability. Guess I know now. Oh well...suppose I will have to look into some additional anti-theft protection while waiting for the 'X' to arrive, as I don't want to go through what that poor owner did.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
dmcconaghie said:
Oh well...suppose I will have to look into some additional anti-theft protection while waiting for the 'X' to arrive, as I don't want to go through what that poor owner did.
Well, I know the system is the MDX, like most factory systems is not as good as some offered by Clifford, etc.
But how much better can you do? LoJack may enable your car to be found sooner, but does not make it less easy to steal.
Remember, there are still people out there who leave their keys in the ignition to run in a store or the house, and a few a week that get car-jacked.

·
Registered
50 Posts
good prices

Only the one with the "clear" title can receive financing. I fear that the two with sold with salvaged titles will be fixed up with altered titles and sold as legit cars. My wife is over a lending department at a large financial institution. They do serious research on vehicles for their clients when they suspect title fraud.

I imagine this place is set up with insurance companies to take in specific vehicles that are deemed "totaled."

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Get a Clifford and rest in piece

If you get a Clifford system you will not have to worry about an amateur or a professional thief. Both will pass on and go to the viper or less expensive system. This system will give you auto start, auto door locks and another immobilization unit in addition to acura's, so you have twice the protection. You'll get glass, impact and lifting of vehicle security. You can't go wrong. IMO it is a must for any MDX owner!!!

www.Clifford.com

·
Registered
928 Posts
i can't take the pic of ripped silver 'DX from my head... :(
but i was just wondering the other day, how do they go past the OEM immobilizer (other than towing)? i remember what my mechanic told me about 'standard' theft - break the ignition lock, use 'philips' screwdriver to start the engine... - i installed Steadfast system against that in my prev car.

Now, with immobilizer code - they would need to either bypass the comp somehow (like cut the wiring?) or have a generic code (is there such a thing from Acura? I remember one of the discussions on the standard procedure for Acura dealers to start the engine without the right coded ignition key. Say, if owner lost the key).

If that's the case, I would choose the following:
- another immobilizer system
- sensors on all windows/sunroof
- hood lock

Clifford is fine I guess, but I still would'nt need/want prestart/preheat/remote start features. How much is it, paul?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Interesting to note that the 2 most recent MDXs at Alslip's salvage are from Houston Dealers..........

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Clifford Systems

You can get a basic for as little as $450 if not less. Especially if you don't want the auto start and some other basic features. check the website above and speak with the authorized dealer. It will give you the items you mentioned additional immobilization so you will have two and additional starter kill, glass protection, shock protection, impact protection, and towing protection. you can't go wrong. Best of all the best anti-false triggering system in the industry. It actually uses a computer to determine if it's a real threat or not. I've had it on my 2000 Maxima SE and no false alarms in 2 years. I used to have a viper that always gave me trouble. The website has the ability to give you numbers of all authorized dealers in your area. I personally used John from Ultrasound, He has a great reputation. Get a good feeling about the installer because any alarm is only as good as the installer. I forgot to mention that you get the hood protection in addition to the hatch protection. I also went to whitney auto supplies and purchased a high output siren that I use in conjunction with the battery back-up clifford, just so I know everyone will hear for at least 2 miles. I also looked at alpine and the conclusion was the clifford had a higher level of protection. Let's face it you spent upwards of $40k on the SUV what's an addditon $450 for peace of mind. Especially because they are so rare on the road the thieves have their eye out for it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
All right, all right !! Stop twisting my arm!!
I have a cheaper Clifford Arrow II system in my present minivan and I am very happy with it. It was put in by a reasonable and expert installer.
Just stop, okay!! I 'll go check it out!
...man, some people!!! :D

and if anyone in the SF South Bay is looking for a good INDEPENDENT installer (not Circus Silly, etc.) I will tell you.

..you better not be getting a cut, Paul!
The $450 system sounds about right. I don't need the added goodies, just good security.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I could've done without those pics.

In NYC, all police stations offer free VIN etching for your vechicle.
I don't know how much of a deterrant this is for thieves, but I think it might make it harder to sell some of the goods once stripped. Maybe they'll move on to another MDX.

Also, you might be eligible for an insurance discount.

I'm not sure how effective VIN etching really is, but the police offer it for free so I'm getting it done.

I think it might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
619 Posts
ouch! that is painful. I'm guessing here but I would think it is virtually impossible to steal the 'X(b/c of the key chip etc...). So, i am guessing the person who stole this SS either car jacked, or found the car with keys in it.

I have a '97 prelude with the same key chip/immobilizer, and let me tell u nobody messes with it. I remember Hondas were being stolen and chopped at dramatic rates prior to the key chip recognition system. I believe all Honda's starting in '97 came with the system(civic- ?).

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Kry chip not perfect

There are always ways to break thru even the key decoding. That's why I recommend a backup to the key chip. The Clifford!

Simple solution and security to a painful sutuation.
Remember they don't have to steal the car to cause you misery!
Seats, interior, radio, nav, all sorts of interior parts are worth alot to criminals.

www.clifford.com

P.S. stock alarm has no protection for glass, shock, impact, towing. hood and hatch, and many more. Just put a key in door cylinder and turn and you just bypassed the stock alarm. Ans cost you alot to replace the cylinders and code the keys so you have 1 key for the entire vehicle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts