Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a little bit of sticker shock when I bought my MDX, so I got cheap and decided not to buy the NAV. Of course, by the time the car arrived I wanted teh NAV. So here is my solution thanks to Ebay...

Panasonic CF-01 tablet pc 250.00
Rand McNally GPS 75.00
Teletype Software 54.00
Shipping etc. 50.00

Works pretty well. Still wish I had the built in NAV

Attachments

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
That's an interesting setup. What OS does the tablet run, a version of PocketPC/WinCE? Touch screen, I presume. Pretty good price, tho!

Did you try any other mounting options...Click on the "startac/timeport" link in my sig line -- the Panavise mount I got might be a little cleaner and not block your trip computer screen -- and it'd still be reachable.

BTW, I have another version of the Panavise mount coming my way to beta test, so might have my old (or new, depending) one to unload if you think you might be interested...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is actually running Windows 98SE. On a p133 with 24meg ram but it works fast enough for the software. It has a touch screen and stylus - although finger works fine.

I thought about your Panavise setup and may try it if I dont come up with a different computer. I may get an Ipaq with gps and try that.

on the back of the computer is a handle which fits over my vent mount for the cell phone.

I'd probably like to buy the mount as it will work fine for my cell phone.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow, the price of the computer, GPS and software is very reasonable! I already had a new laptop, so I purchased from Delorne their GPS and Street Atlas software. Initially I really liked it, but now it is a "pain" to take the computer in the car, so more often than not, I just print out a map and directions and forego the GPS part

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lester - I agree that the laptop is too cumbersome. I already had one also. That is why I like the CF-01. It was a 3k machine a few years ago but can be had very cheap on Ebay now.

I use the printouts also, but they tend to be wrong and I like seeing the layout. I used a Garmin GPS-V for a while but it would only hold a small part of my normal travelling area and it took forever to change

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Worm:

What is the difference in your new panavise mount?

I just installed (well ok, a shop did) a hands free unit using what I assume is the original mount...Looks pretty good save for one wire running down the side near the glove box...The installer said that there was no way to hide it without bulging the areas around the dash....

thanks..

Rich

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
HerbTarlek said:
The Worm:

What is the difference in your new panavise mount?

I just installed (well ok, a shop did) a hands free unit using what I assume is the original mount...Looks pretty good save for one wire running down the side near the glove box...The installer said that there was no way to hide it without bulging the areas around the dash....

thanks..

Rich
Dunno - I haven't received it yet (my understanding is that it's a preproduction unit and the change was characterized as "minor"). I'll post over in the other thread I referenced once I have it w/descript and pics...I don't think it'll solve the wirehiding issue, tho, since that's largely a function of the very small space betw trim pieces in the car itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
TheWorm said:
Dunno - I haven't received it yet (my understanding is that it's a preproduction unit and the change was characterized as "minor"). I'll post over in the other thread I referenced once I have it w/descript and pics...I don't think it'll solve the wirehiding issue, tho, since that's largely a function of the very small space betw trim pieces in the car itself.
The wire is really not that visible, however it is an irritant...I also have a privacy handset which was installed in a previous vehicle but the lack of a suitable place (armrest console would have been nice and hidden but difficult to access the phone while driving) precluded its installation....

The panavise does position the phone quite nicely....I would recommend to anyone considering purchasing it...

Rich

·
Registered
411 Posts
Phinphan:

You got me thinking now ... give us more details on where to buy these stuff, and how easy was the installation? ....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GCK said:
Phinphan:

You got me thinking now ... give us more details on where to buy these stuff, and how easy was the installation? ....
GCK - I bought the computer from a seller on Ebay. I paid $250.00 plus shipping. The GPS is available on Ebay or direct from RandMcNally.com. It is the laptop gps. The software is called Teletype GPS and is $54.00 from mobileplanet.com. There is no installation to speak of. I use an ac inverter (available everywhere for $40-100) which I already had or an auto/air adapter from targus (I already had it for the laptop). I have a vent clip mount for my cell phone and I use it for the gps when I need it.

Setting up the software was no big deal. The gps comes with randmcnally's streetfinder software so you dont need to buy the teletype. I prefer the teletype because it allows head up navigation. In other words, the map rotates so that the direction of travel is always up on the screen. The only potential problem is that the computer does not have a cd so you have to use an external drive of some kind to load the software. I had one laying around so it was not a problem for me. If you have a pcmcia network card you can load it from a network drive or shared drive off of a PC. I also have Microsoft Street and Trips Software on the machine and use it some of the time.

I would give the software and hardware configuration a moderate difficulty level.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts