Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone seems to be so impressed by the MDX's acceleration and although this is accurate at low speeds, it seems that driving 70 mph in 5th gear leaves almost no power. Whenever I use cruise control and go over an overpass, the car has to downshift to maintain speed. I don't think anything is wrong with the car otherwise.

I have posted this on the Edmunds message board and did receive some agreement regarding how "tall" the 5th gear is. However, I'm surprised I don't see anything similar on this board.

I was again curious about this after reading about how well the MDX tows at highway speeds. (Granted I would expect most people keep it in 4th gear when towing)

'01 Base Mahogany 15000 miles

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
It was discussed here several months ago - maybe longer. 5th gear (OD) is, in fact, very tall (hence the mileage well into the 20's). At 55-70, acceleration suffers as a result -- unless you (or it) kicks down into 4th.

·
Registered
38 Posts
5TH GEAR IS TALL

5th gear is tall but that helps milage alot. At 70 mph, the engine is only turning 1900 rpms, very low.

Also, with a 5 speed trans, you should expect it to shift more than a 4 speed tranny. I find no problem with highway acceleration, in fact it is alot better than prior suv 4runner. Just push the pedal down and it goes!:) 50 to 80 in a flash:).

As a side note, people over at a highlander board were concerned because they turn 3,000 rpm at 70 mph. That seems high for a V6. Guess it does not have much torque at lower rpms unlike the MDX!! Also a lot more wear on engine and parts at those rpm.

·
Registered
242 Posts
5th is fine for me.

I like the OD to save gas mileage. But I would prefer to have lower 3rd, which would help with accerlation in the lower, more city-friendly speed range. Not that MDX's accerlation is bad for an suv;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since my original post, I have stopped being cheap and put 93 octane fuel in my MDX. What a difference! :)

I used to put in 89 octane (Mid-grade) and didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Technically, there should only be a loss of 5-10 horsepower with this. However, since putting in 93 octane, I can drive at 80mph in 5th gear and have enough power to accelerate on uphills without kicking down into 4th.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Oh, yeah, baby, I have always been impressed with the "reserve power" of this puppy. I am cruisin' at 70 and need some, uh, horsepower (as we say in Texas) and I pump this baby and it motors.....I can't tell you the number of times I see looks of surprise on these drivers' faces (who are cruisin' at 65 in the left lane, dangnabbit!) and I just punch it and go around them.

My Ody does the same, true, not to the same extent. Must be that VTEC from Honda. Them guys know how to build an motor.;)

Oh, also, I HAVE been known to downshift to 2 around turns and to 3 at highway speeds jest to show thes Hoes and Burbs who is boss around these heah parts!:D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Octavian -- c'mon, now! You KNOW you do those floor-it or downshift things just to hear her sing! And ain't she got a sweet song?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i am sorry that i might sound stupid...just curious about "downshifting" to second or third on an automatic tranny. won't this damage the tranny???

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Please post this in the Regular vs. Premium Thread

sanand5 said:
Since my original post, I have stopped being cheap and put 93 octane fuel in my MDX. What a difference! :)

I used to put in 89 octane (Mid-grade) and didn't think it would make that much of a difference. Technically, there should only be a loss of 5-10 horsepower with this. However, since putting in 93 octane, I can drive at 80mph in 5th gear and have enough power to accelerate on uphills without kicking down into 4th.

The Premium vs. Regular Threads that pop up every few months can use some real life testimonials such as yours.;)

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
DaleB ... the word "violated" just doesn't seem to do it justice ... we get "*#@%+!" ... now I feel better ... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Robyjo said:
srpbep,

You get *&#, because prices are always less in So. Cal. than up here.

Here, we get *&#%%$*^Y$)@))(($^&[email protected]&&%.
I make several trips to SoCal a year, and in most cases you are right. I have seen prices reverse between the 2 regions a couple of times.
But you do have the population base to support lower prices, but again, that is a logical conclusion, not to be confused with reality.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Robyjo,

Guess I can't argue. CA leads the nation and Northern CA is ahead of Southern CA. Soooo, on the upside [for us down here], you guys help us see just how lucky we are 'cause it could be worse!!

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you want high octane gas, check this out!

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
You can see the prices in the background of this pic. Picture was taken a Sears point (Northern Cal). Don't know when this picture was taken but it seem pretty cheap for 110 octane. (Perhaps when 87 was $1.10 this past winter now its about $1.60 - I think).

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts