Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 mdx and I am getting high 14 low 13 got new air filter make sure intake tube every thing is clean once in a wild I get 12 for mpg 14 seem really low I drive normal I got a qx56 (big suv) that has a 5.6 and I get 14 mpg this mdx is smaller. Was looking at getting a newer mdx but not if the mpg is this bad what is everyone else getting for mpg.

·
Registered
592 Posts
15-17 city relatively flat and small hills on a 2006 with 156K, couple miles more highway at 75mph. Sometimes as high as 20-21 on flat highway. Using 0W-20 Mobil 1, 91 octane Shell gas, and about 14K miles since the last valve adjustment and plugs.

What octane gas, what weight oil are you using, and what’s your maintenance history for plugs and valve adjustment? Besides driving style, roads, and air filter, these can affect mileage too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have use the 89 an the 91 don't make a difference I have not change spark plug yet that was going to be the other thing I do i take it pretty easy on the gas and still get 14 that seem low I do have 240k on it I am going to change plug and see.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
From the post from acuraMDX, tire inflation is a simple check.

That reminds me, years ago I went cheap on tires for a different car and man, the ride and the mileage was terrible. I bought them at America’s Tire so was about to trade them in for better/higher cost tires.

At your mileage, hopefully not but I suppose you could be loosing some compression and/or the trans could be slipping a little under certain conditions depending on the maintenance history and hard hard it’s driven. Re those plugs, 4, 5, and or 6 have been known to loosen so might check before buying new.

Good luck x 2.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be replacing the plugs and hopefully that help the tranny been replace engine seems fine but the 14 mpg is just killing I have to full up about every 200 to 230 miles per tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2005 with 206k miles, and for what its worth, misfire issues. I live on top of a small mountain, and my commute is downhill to work, and uphill back home; 15 miles each way. I average 16-18 MPG measured using the odometer, fill tank, reset, drive a couple days, refill tank, and doing math - it confirmed what the screen says (when my screen actually works!).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do the math with the trip meter to make sure the computer is right and it right on the way I drive it i should be getting better then 14. I am going to be changing the spark plugs anyone know what the best plugs I should be putting in it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I will be replacing the plugs and hopefully that help the tranny been replace engine seems fine but the 14 mpg is just killing I have to full up about every 200 to 230 miles per tank.
I do the math with the trip meter to make sure the computer is right and it right on the way I drive it i should be getting better then 14. I am going to be changing the spark plugs anyone know what the best plugs I should be putting in it.
After doing my valve cover gaskets which were leaking and the spark plug tube seals (also leaking) i replaced my plugs with the NGK iridium IX ZFR5FIX-11; part# 2477.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Is that city mpg? or combined?
Full city driving like I want to I get 10-9mpgs... Maximum? 18mpg if driving Super Eco.
COMBINED THOUGH? I can get +20mpgs all day long.
Full highway? tops out at 30mpgs.

Thats a 2G though.. I suppose the 1G should be more efficient?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I have a 2005 with 206k miles, and for what its worth, misfire issues. I live on top of a small mountain, and my commute is downhill to work, and uphill back home; 15 miles each way. I average 16-18 MPG measured using the odometer, fill tank, reset, drive a couple days, refill tank, and doing math - it confirmed what the screen says (when my screen actually works!).
Just about what my '05 used to get under the same conditions.

Shawn: How long have you owned/been driving the MDX?

If many miles and years, is this a sudden decrease?

·
Registered
46 Posts
'01 here.

At 203,xxx miles, I replaced the plugs again (leaking spark plug tube seals), replaced air filter, running 93 octane, changed the trans fluid with the oil/filter and finally cleaned the EGR ports.

Plan to do the valve adjustment after finals but wondering if replacing the upstream o2 sensor and EGR valve will help too?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Valve adjustment helped mine a bit, but the best highway mileage I ever got was just over 20mpg (long, cross-country trip). That's not bad since the average speed was over 75mph (lots of Texas miles in there, and I normally drive a few mph over the posted limit). The Volvo V50 wagon I replaced my MDX with gets 29-30mpg at the same speed, but won't carry as much stuff. You choose you poison! ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts