Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I replaced my pollen filter today before I take my MDX in for its 30,000 mile service. I purchased the filter from Tim (www.hondacuraworld.com) and the total time took about 30 minutes. Here are some pictures and tips during my install...

Here is the array of tools that I used during the install. You may have a different tool for the actual cutting of the plastic brace...

8 mm socket set (with handle)
Phillips screwdriver
Box cutter
Side cutters

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picture of tools I used...yours may vary...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First you need to remove the 2 black glove box stops. Just pull them out. Be careful when both are out because the damper is the only thing holding the glove box up...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next you need to snap the 2 pieces of the damper apart. All you need is a sharp skinny object to push the center it and pull apart. HOLD the glove box at this point because it WILL fall to the floor and break the hinges. My suggestion is to close the glove box after you disconnect the damper. Allow the glove box to completely latch closed and you will not have to worry about it falling while you do the hardest task.....removing the screws...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you have fought with the 2 screws you will be able to unlatch the glovebox and lift it out of the vehicle. This is what it will look like. I will tell you in advance that the screw on the door side is a b%$^. Someone else might have an easier way to get at that screw than me. I ended up unscrewing it with a phillips screwdriver with a longshaft. The screw has both a hex head and a phillips slot in the middle. I read in another post that removing the plastic piece that covers the fusebox is not that difficult so you may want to add that step. It will probably make removing that right screw a little easier. It will just add time to the install. The one screw nearest the center console is easy to remove.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now comes the "destructive" step. It broke my heart to do this but I would rather it be me than someone who may be careless and not care as much as me. At this point I removed the 4 screws holding the metal bracket but you can wait until the plastic brace is removed to do these. This screw requires the 8 mm socket.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now comes the part that I hated. You need to remove the plastic brace by cutting:( it away and discarding it. I used both a box cutter and side cutters for this step..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Next you need to remove the screws holding the brace(if you have not already) and wiggle the metal brace out of the way. Take your time here because you could easily break away some plastic now because the brace is gone. Trust me you won't but just take your time...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is the filter at 32,000 miles. Heck I even had a wasp stuck to the filter....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is a picture of the new filter going in. Note how white they are when they are clean. Be sure to place the filter in properly with regards to air flow. There is an arrow on both the filter and on the housing for the filter...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope this helps out a little. It will save some money on your 30,000 mile check up and the next time you do it the hard part will already be done.:) Here is a post that has the actual service manual pages that were scanned. This is what I used.

Link to thread with scanned pictures from the service manual

·
Registered
715 Posts
Awesome, Hock!! A worthy addition to the "Acuramdx.org Body of Knowledge". (I'm almost inspired to install that brand-new microfilter I've had for a month now.:rolleyes: )

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
hockeyplayer,

Great blow-by-blow pics. You have certainly taken the mystery out of changing the pollen filter. Most DIY'ers should be able to follow your instructions and pics.:29:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Great demo with pic's.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Stupid question, but why would Acura position a replacement filter in such a ridiculous spot and require that you cut apart the interior of your car for replacement??

·
Registered
715 Posts
Markedoc said:
Stupid question, but why would Acura position a replacement filter in such a ridiculous spot and require that you cut apart the interior of your car for replacement??
If this is not a rhetorical question, we need those engineers out there to 'fess up: the answer is "poor design and/or integration." Every car has one (or two, or three) of these "features".

Edit: Because the Odyssey also has a cabin filter, I wonder if there was an integration issue when the X dash and HVAC systems were being designed?

1 - 20 of 159 Posts