Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Thinking about doing valve clearance adjustment now. As of now, my 07 MDX has about 110k miles. I am a bit hesitant. I want to take care of my car of course, but I am also very reluctant to do unnecessary work or perform necessary work unnecessarily early. So can we have a poll for members to share when they did their first valve clearance adjustment (years and mileage), what they found out, and whether the job can be delayed (i.e., what are the actual gap you see and how far they are from spec)? I think this information would be very helpful for many others.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thinking about doing valve clearance adjustment now. As of now, my 07 MDX has about 110k miles. I am a bit hesitant. I want to take care of my car of course, but I am also very reluctant to do unnecessary work or perform necessary work unnecessarily early. So can we have a poll for members to share when they did their first valve clearance adjustment (years and mileage), what they found out, and whether the job can be delayed (i.e., what are the actual gap you see and how far they are from spec)? I think this information would be very helpful for many others.

Thanks!!!!
170k km still haven’t done it. My mechanic said they aren’t really that necessary unless you start noticing problems or loss of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just did a valve adjustment at 185k miles. It needed it badly, especially the exhaust clearance. It was secondary work as they were re-adjusting the timing from previous sloppy work from another place. I was having a rough idle problem. Runs like new although now I need catalytic converter. Also replaced the variable timing solenoid

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Is there any chance you can get the clearanc measurements from your mechanic? Quite interested.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
The vast majority of my J-Series valve jobs come back with the same results.
Very low extra gap in the Intake Valves.
SUPER TIGHT Exhaust Valves.

As always the stupid "Adjust if Noisy" recommendation of Honda/Acura is a terrible one.

-Loose valves will yield you extra noise and lower MPGs but it will take you +150K of neglect to hear any extra noise from the valve train..

-Tight valves will make the engine quieter but it will also destroy your heads… And it doesn´t take more than 100K for them to get tight. Tight valves can eventually make the valve half-close which will allow extra combustion to pass through the valve seat and valve head this will eat up through the valve seat and can even melt it. This is a very expensive error.

Do not neglect them!

Valve Clearance on All J-Series:
Intake:
0.20-0.24 mm (0.008-0.009 in.)

Exhaust:
0.28-0.32 mm (0.011-0.013 in.)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Did my first measurements back at 105K miles in 2014. The gaps were at spec. Will see if it changed closer to 200K miles, may be earlier, as I wanted to replace the valve cover gaskets along with spark plug tube seals anyway.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is 700 Canadian dollars reasonable for valve clearance? My maintenance minder says a34 of which timing belt and spark plugs are done. They are usually charging 1400 cad but since timing belt is being done they said half price. Should I go for it? 165k km never done valve clearance before. My valves aren’t noisy and I’ve had my piston engine oil consumption warranty already applied.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
CAD 700 for just the valve clearance seems a bit steep to me. No way it would take a professional mechanic more than 3 hours for getting there, getting it done and reassembling everything back together. So I would say CAD 350 would be fair. And make sure they install new sparkplug tube seals while they are there, valve cover gaskets and possibly the intake manifold gasket as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
ok awesome, they are actually quoting 2 hours so it was 350 just as you said. The 700 dollar is from a oil pump leak (also half price from 1500) and they recommend to reseal it. I have never seen any leaks on the floor or any drop in oil from my engine. I am not sure if they are lying maybe i will ask for photo evidence before i get it done. I will get my valves readjusted and i will ask about the sparkplug tube seals, valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gasket as well.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Nice! CAD 700 for the oil pump reseal is great. And since they are taking the TB off, just get them put a new one in as well. This shouldn't be any extra labour, just extra parts (TB, gaskets). Now it would be fair for them to charge extra labour if they are also replacing the water pump, TB pulleys and tensioner, since it is extra work. I would probably bite the bullet as well. That way you won't have to come back for the TB change for another 100K miles (if you are planning to drive that long).

I also don't have any oil loss, but my pump is seeping badly. You can easily check it our yourself, no need for any proof. Just jack up the car, take the right front wheel off and see for yourself. Chances are you have it at this mileage. Again, I think it all depends on whether you are keeping the car for another 100K or not. May be it's not worth the hassle and expense if you don't

·
Registered
187 Posts
Nice! CAD 700 for the oil pump reseal is great. And since they are taking the TB off, just get them put a new one in as well. This shouldn't be any extra labour, just extra parts (TB, gaskets). Now it would be fair for them to charge extra labour if they are also replacing the water pump, TB pulleys and tensioner, since it is extra work. I would probably bite the bullet as well. That way you won't have to come back for the TB change for another 100K miles (if you are planning to drive that long).

I also don't have any oil loss, but my pump is seeping badly. You can easily check it our yourself, no need for any proof. Just jack up the car, take the right front wheel off and see for yourself. Chances are you have it at this mileage. Again, I think it all depends on whether you are keeping the car for another 100K or not. May be it's not worth the hassle and expense if you don't
Alright thanks, this vehicle has been very low cost to me besides the adaptive shocks which I ended up getting my money back for them anyway. I am going to bite the bullet and preform all
repairs, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, serpentine belt , valve adjustment, oil pump reseal. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
170k km still haven’t done it. My mechanic said they aren’t really that necessary unless you start noticing problems or loss of power.

had mine done by INDEPENDENT MECHANIC at about 101K- my mechanic said that "by the time you start noticing problems, or loss of power, potentially necessitating a valve clearance, by then it's TOO LATE (damage already done!).

*additionally, immediately after valve clearance was done, I noticed improved MPG, as well a considerable increase in overall RPM's!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey guys, just a heads up, service bulletin states that valve clearance should have been done when preforming the piston repair (engine oil consumption repair). I saved myself 350 dollars from paying again after I had asked EXACTLY what was included in the piston repair procedure from the stealership. I elected to not have my oil pump seal (resealed) as it was too expensive ($800 after tax CAD) and it wasn't leaking at all underneath the car.

Piston repair kit included new spark plugs, near pistons, rings, replace of power steering fluid, valve adjustment and timing belt (if required) ---Canadians only.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Baaj Hi guys, I have a 2004 so maybe this doesn't apply, but what is the Piston Repair (engine Oil consumption Repair) that is referred to in the latest post? If there is a thread or forum for that I will search for that also.
Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
@Baaj Hi guys, I have a 2004 so maybe this doesn't apply, but what is the Piston Repair (engine Oil consumption Repair) that is referred to in the latest post? If there is a thread or forum for that I will search for that also.
Thanks
Just search oil consumption on the form. Don’t quote me but I’m sure it’s just 2010 -2013 Acura MDX that are affected.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The replies so far are not very helpful. The ideal answer should be from someone who adjusted the valves at x miles when he observes the clearance is off by y inches. So I have to source information else where. For example, this video shows (and some of the reply below) that by 210k miles, wrong clearance can leads to misfire.

So it is probably a good idea to adjust the clearance well before 210k. Mine only has 113k so far. I guess I shall make sure I get this done before 150k miles.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the 2nd installment of the series, someone mentioned it is pretty safe to run till 140-150 k before the adjustment. In this case, at 210k, exhaust valve clearance went from 0.013 to 0.007. quite some change!

·
Registered
149 Posts
How much have you guys been paying for the adjustment? and is this the same as the valve lash adjustment?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I haven't done it. Plan to do this myself. It's not cheap. Like $400-500.

Reactions: AcuraAddicted
1 - 20 of 42 Posts