Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Touring/Non Touring - Are you happy with your dicision?

• Have touring pkg, love it.

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • Have touring pkg, regret it

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Do not have touring pkg and have no regrets

Votes: 21 32.3%
  • Do not have touring pkg, but wish have it

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does $2600 touring package worth it? I ordered a 2003 basic+nav. I just want to see what the people who have ordered and lived with the touring package for a while think about it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
kexicao said:
Does $2600 touring package worth it? I ordered a 2003 basic+nav. I just want to see what the people who have ordered and lived with the touring package for a while think about it.
Did they give any info as to what's new for 2003? Or did you just order a 2003 regardless of what changes are coming? I ask because I hear (of course, from rumours) that there will be no more Premium (i.e. Base) and if so, then the poll would not apply for a 2003.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have any info on 2003 mdx. I was at the dealer last week. There was a Havasu blue 2002 touring+nav available and I could have it on the spot (Park Ave Acura, NJ). I ordered 2003 becuase I going to pay MSRP either way so I might as well get one for newer model year. If there is going to be no more basic models, this poll may help me to decide what I am going to do. I just think $2600 for a cd changer+bose and memory seats is too much.
I was ordering (I still have $500 deposit down) a Pilot EX-L NAV. I don't really like the leather (too cold for winter and too hot for summer) but I must have a nav system. MDX's heated seats plus some other things (not the sunroof) helped me to move to mdx.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I wish that Acura would let its buyers pick and choose some of the options; I would have taken the Michelins and the power passenger seat, and maybe memory seats, but the rest of the package had no appeal to either my wife or me.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Most of us that ordered Touring are not thrilled with the $2600 for some things that should have been standard.
But most of us like the extra power seat, memory, Michelin tires, and the tilting mirror. The rack is cheap enough anyway if you want to get one later, and there is not a whole lot of value with the Bose, but it's the only way to get a changer, even if it is in the dash.
I think the Nav is better value for the bucks IMHO if you had to choose between spending money on only one of the two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If 2003 mdx gets rid of basic model and pushes the price to $40k level, I might as well to get Lexus GX470 for 5k more.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I think if you believe you may regret not having some of the features of the Touring Package, then get it (assuming you can't add the feature after-market). Over the course of the time you own the vehicle the extra cost won't be as bad.

If you're positive you don't want it, then don't get it and save the money.

The Touring Package has been debated forever. IMHO, I think that it is not a good value for what you get. However, I wouldn't have purchased an MDX without it. I love the in-dash CD changer, think the Cross Terrain tires are terrific, really like the tilt-down mirror for parallel parking, like having power for the passenger's seat, and like the memory seats. I don't use the roof rack so I don't care about it, just cosmetics.

To me (and everyone's opinion will differ), some of these features are what I consider necessary in a "luxury' or "near-luxury" vehicle.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I agree with wmquan's assessment. Some of the items in the touring package can be added later, but I placed a lot of value on having the power passenger seat, and I feel safer riding on Michelin's so wasn't willing to wait until Goodyear's wore out before replacing them. I didn't give much thought to the tilt down mirror nor did I expect to give much use to the indash CD changer, but both of those features have proven to have a lot of utility. The roof rack has become a safety feature for me since it is something to hold onto while standing on a steplstool to wash and Zaino!

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
ditto wmquan

Although it may not be "worth" what it costs, we like the car much better with it. We did not even consider the base/premium model.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I agree, once you got 'em you love 'em.
wmquan and I will probably always disagree on the value of a in-dash changer vs. a cartridge changer, but any changer is better than none!
The tilt-down mirror has become more valuable for curb parking and for small objects behind you (on one side only).
If you are a solo driver of the MDX you can not fully appreciate the memory seating, but if you do let other people drive, or do valet parking, etc. you will like it.

I think the tires are superior, they are certainly rated tops by most reviews.
A full-size spare would have been a nice thing to include, but many of us have resorted to doing that on our own.
All of these features may mean more if you ever sell this vehicle, especially to a private party, not a major point, but still a consideration in making your choice.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
different class

kexicao said:
If 2003 mdx gets rid of basic model and pushes the price to $40k level, I might as well to get Lexus GX470 for 5k more.
It seems like the GX470 is an upscale Sequoia and if you compare the spec of the 'X to the Sequoia - you're in an entirely different class (midsize v fullsize SUV). If 40k for the'X is a turnoff, the RX300 is the next comparable SUV in the Lexus line.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Good poll although somehow it seems like I have seen one very similar. (navigation/non navigation)

There are some things on touring edition that we just could not live without. Eight way passenger seats, memory mirrors & seats, Michelin tires, 6 disk in dash CD were very important for us and we enjoy a lot.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Re: similar polls

This issue of Touring vs. non-Touring has been debated many times in the past. There is no doubt that if you did a Search you would uncover many similar threads.;)

·
Registered
671 Posts
I got my base model on a whim - if the dealer had a touring pkg at the time, I would've gotten it - no regrets, I love this vehicle, base or touring, nav or no nav, it's the best!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Interestingly enough, so far the Touring seems to be retaining its value pretty well.

Just for laughs I used kbb.com to compute trade-in values for my zip code, with 25,000 miles on a 2001 MDX, excellent condition.

Base w/o Nav: $28,490
Base w/Nav: $29,075
Touring w/o Nav: $31,005
Touring w/Nav: $31,590

Please keep in mind that these numbers are based on a very limited history. But I think they're accurate in saying that the nav, unfortunately, retains little value. Meanwhile, the Touring Package retains surprisingly good value. Usually higher trim levels don't retain their value quite as well, though sometimes that is offset somewhat by higher desirability.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
right choice !

WilliamQ, very interesting data . . .
If anything, at least it validates my decision from a valuation viewpoint (Touring, no Navi) :4: :p :D

Although an 18% drop in value is surprising :confused:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
wmquan said:
Interestingly enough, so far the Touring seems to be retaining its value pretty well.

Meanwhile, the Touring Package retains surprisingly good value. Usually higher trim levels don't retain their value quite as well, though sometimes that is offset somewhat by higher desirability.
Exactly! Touring retains it's value, but navigation makes the ride even better for the 'present' owner.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Isn't the Homelink Garage door opener part of the Touring pkg? That's something that once you have it, it's hard to let go of. I have a Lexus RX300 and I love the Homelink (we have a new baby on the way and we need the 3rd seat the MDX has).

I also like an indash CD player idea. With all my prior Cartridge players I tended to almost never change the CD's that were in it. Too much of a hassle and can't be done easily while driving. It certainly seems like an indash gives you the best of both worlds... I believe the Touring pkg. also gives you 17 inch wheels vs. 16 inch wheels no? That's a pretty darn big deal right there (if I'm right about that).

Anyway, we are going to get the Touring Pkg. and Navigation mainly because I don't buy new cars that often and don't want to have any regrets. :2:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts