Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose the Polb GNX 10" sub come in a Dual voice coil or is everyone who uses this sub buy the single (4 ohm) version?

I'm considering getting them from Crutchfield who has them on sale for 2 for the price of one (SVC 4ohm). But only want one. Maybe I could split it with someone here. Or I may try to see if someone will match their price.

What are they tipically priced at? What would be a good deal on them?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dale for the reply. I didn't say it came in a 2 ohm version. I was wondering if there was one.

Where did you get it for $70? With Crutchfield's deal the price is about the same.

·
Registered
282 Posts
2 Ohm Polk

The 2 ohm Polk GNX is also referred to as the dual voice coil. This can be wired in either a 2, 4, or 8 ohm configuration.

I know because I installed this in a 2 ohm configuration and it is AWESOME.

Mushman

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
DaleB said:
All right, I got the Polk GNX installed. The bass is noticeably better. Probably even better (more efficient) with the 2 ohm version. I am using the 4 ohm version with a 100 Hz filter.
Can you post pictures? Especially interested in the adapter ring. Did you make one or did you have it made? What is it made out of?
We need details Dale!

PS...That should be good for a few posts!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Completed, as in finished. Tomorrow back to the reverse-aid alarm.
See the shadow at the top just to the right of center? There is a small hole in the body to locate the factory sub. This hole needs to be sealed with a small piece of Dynamat from the backside of the body panel.
I used metric screws to match the factory mtg. bolts. They need to be longer.
I used M5X25 Pitch .8 with M5 washers.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
My original and poor drawing. I do not include mtg. hole dimensions. The ones on the body I marked, and the ones for the speaker, well, use the template with the speaker you have to get it correct.

A 10 1/2 " square perfectly centered over the 11" donut will give you the flats you need to cut off. The inside hole is 9 1/4" but may vary with the speaker you happen to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Thanks for the details...looks like I now have my marching orders for my next project!

Dale, how much of an improvement in overall sound? Is it as significant as the door upgrade?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Factory Amp?

DaleB,
Are you using the factory amp to power this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks DaleB, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Makes for an easy and not too expensive upgrade.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Dale,
How critical was the spacer depth dimension? Would a 3/8" spacer work as well for the Polk GNX10? Reason why I ask, is I found a scrap piece of 3/8" Plexiglas at my work -hey it's free. I guess if it doesn't work I could always use 1/2" MDF wood. But Plexiglas seems pretty cool.

Anybody know where the best place to get the Polk GNX10 DVC? I saw a couple of places on the internet for about $69 but do not know of the reputation of these companies.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Emerald01

If you're still considering the Polk GNX, I'll go in with you on the two-for-one at Crutchfield. I think it would end up being $65 each...I'm only about 20 minutes from SJ.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts