Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow mdxers

I need your expertise to identify the correct spare tire hoist for 04 mdx.
my 04 mdx has been serving family for the last 17 years and still doing decent job just with some rust spot here and there with 230k on the clock.. other than this spare tire hoist that does not work any more properly after recently lowered due to flat tire.

Ordered OEM spare tire hoist (part number : 74711-S3V-A11) from bernardi acura and received part fairly quickly (thanks to Bernardi part dept) but found out that it is "different". Please find the picture. On the left is what I removed from 04 MDX (original) and on the right is the new part from Bernardi.

You can see they have different nut size/shape at the tip. I am just puzzled. Did Bernard ship wrong part ? Or did acura redesign it?. Initially I was attempting to remove the "correct nut (same size as wheel lug nut)" from old part to transfer to the new one, but it was not removable (pinned permanently) moreover the axle size shape and diameter all different. As picture shows, the new part has pentagonal shape axle at the tip while old one is rounded. Does anyone have this "pentagonal" tip spare tire hoist on your mdx ? (I am waiting for response from bernardi part as of now).

Thank you and have a pleasant and safe day !!!

wrongsparetirehoist.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess not many of 04 MDX owners had ever replaced spare tire hoist (or not many of 04 MDX owners are out there thesedays.... hahaha).
If anyone have replaced spare tire hoist on 04 (05) MDX and found the similar situation, please share your experience, that will be very helpful. Thank you in advance. Good day!

·
Registered
5 Posts
In my research I think you have gotten the one for the 07-13 MDX. You could do 2 things. Get the correct one for your MDX (if they still have them new). Or get the lug wrench for the 07-13 that will fit the Pentagon head and install the new one you got. Looks like it will bolt in the same yes??

I recently asked a question about this exact thing. Can you tell me the size of the bolt on your old lift?

·
Registered
5 Posts
One other possibility. I see on the side there is there a little set screw in the head of the old nut? Does that nut possibly come off and reveal a pentagon under it? If so you could just transfer it over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my research I think you have gotten the one for the 07-13 MDX. You could do 2 things. Get the correct one for your MDX (if they still have them new). Or get the lug wrench for the 07-13 that will fit the Pentagon head and install the new one you got. Looks like it will bolt in the same yes??

I recently asked a question about this exact thing. Can you tell me the size of the bolt on your old lift?

Thank you for your reply and info/link. It helps!
I guess if ordering new hoist for 07~13 MDX, it will be also 5 sided (pentagon) tip?
What is interesting is, looking at the part diagram for all of 01~13 MDX, all look to have "nut" at the tip of shaft. (well, its just diagram though....)
Now, I postulate that acura could have re-designed it for certain reason (cost saving?, or prevent mishandling with impact wrench etc). all I needed was a little sure confirmation which your link has proven.

Also, what I found is that, the OEM wrench I have already has the 5 sided (pentagon) socket (a little too deep though) also. The oem wrench has two size sockets in it, pretty clever design. I just installed the new part on the 04 mdx and it seems exact fit except one minor issue which is, the shaft seems a little lower than the one with nut at the tip, as a result, when wrenching it, the handle of wrench rubs/scratches the floor/plastic garnish. could it be too much if asking Acura to provide redesigned wrench together with this 5 sided hoist ? haha...

The bolt/nut size on the old lift is exact same size as wheel lug nut.
Again thank you for the link that is what I needed... I think now I am good to go with this new OEM hoist...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other possibility. I see on the side there is there a little set screw in the head of the old nut? Does that nut possibly come off and reveal a pentagon under it? If so you could just transfer it over.
That was my initial thought.. but closely examining it, it is not even screw, it seems permanently punched with piece of metal pin. Moreover, as you can see in the picture above, the old one has "rounded" shaft, no way to transfer the nut from old one to new one with 5 sided tip. I guess it could have helped if acura just provided a little description/explanation with the new hoist. .... Thank you and good day smwalker!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh your wrench already has the pentagon, interesting. I would imagine if you could get the hex bolt off there would be a pentagon under it. But your theory about the impact use is a good one. Land Rover just initiated a change on that a few years ago to force people to use the hand tool as opposed to a socket and thus most would use an impact to do it quicker (shops mostly)

The images I found were of used assemblies out of the 01-06 so those naturally still had the nut on them. But then i saw this one video of a guy doing the tire change and he says 01-06 but he has the pentagon. So maybe they might have changed it in the production models along the way.

But either way if you got the nut or the pentagon you got a tool that can lower both. Thats good planning by honda if you ask me!!

Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts