Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used 2004 MDX. When I first picked it up the seller said that he needed to order a new navigation disc for me, so right now the screen just runs the AC, Menu, trip computer etc... There was a disc in the unit, but an error message "disc read error, please see dealer" was present.

While waiting for the new disc to arrive, I found this forum. I recently heard from the seller and he told me that it would be a while for the new disc and that I should try unhooking the battery cables to reboot the system .... the current disc may work if I tried this. I unhooked and waited about 45 minutes and reconnected. BTW - I have both the radio and nav codes.

Now the screen does not show the Acura Navigation screen or give me the prompt to press the OK button. It just has a blank screen with the message "Please check your disc." I have taken the disc in and out many times and the same message appears. Now I cannot even see the a/c controls or trip computer.

I am a newbie, can anyone out there help me?

FYI - I got the car from a broker who picked this up at the Acura Financial auto auction and I do not believe that it had a disc in there when he got it for me. I think he just put in a different disc, but I tried two different orange ones (versions 3.30d and 3.30f). I think that the seller is reputable and I do not believe that he screwed me, but I am trying to figure this out on my own because he takes a little while to get back to me.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I think the 04 MDX uses a white colored disk, version 4.xx

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the same problem. I called Alpine today and they told me to send in the dvd player under the passenger seat and they would repair it for $158. I'm going to send it in the next few days. I should have it back in about a week. I hope this is the fix I've been looking for. It beats paying the dealer $4k for a replacement! I'll post once I get it back. I don't know why no one hasn't done this sooner?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son has a 2006 Acura TL- which reads disc error and sometimes disc not formatted- took to the dealer who told me the part alone was $3200??? Thought he was joking with me-

What could cost so much? car has 76000 miles on it

lucky for me I took out extended warranty- "0" cost- but what is wrong to cost so much-

·
Registered
968 Posts
wow.. that's pricey. Is that for the replacement or replacement with labor?

I wonder if many people have problems with it.

My son has a 2006 Acura TL- which reads disc error and sometimes disc not formatted- took to the dealer who told me the part alone was $3200??? Thought he was joking with me-

What could cost so much? car has 76000 miles on it

lucky for me I took out extended warranty- "0" cost- but what is wrong to cost so much-

·
Registered
15 Posts
that was total replacement- they indicated that there was no after market parts that they could get- had to put in original system- It works fine now but cannot believe that was real cost

Glad we had extended warranty- just had part replaced for passenger front seat warmer-

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '03 Navigation is dead. (disk error). I have pulled the unit, but can't seem to get it to work. I can live without the navigation system, but the error also loses the HVAC controls and backup camera. Any suggestions on how to get those items working even if the disk won't read? Seems like the car won't get to the next stage unless it reads the disk at some level (we had no nav system before but the other items worked - needed to replace car battery and lost everything)

·
Registered
1 Posts
suggestions

Hello, I have a problem similar to the one above. I am not sure what to do.

I have a 2005 Honda Accord and the navigation quit working. I thought it was just that I needed a updated DVD. At this time, I was still able to access my radio and the temp/fan speed through the touch screen.

I took it in to have the starter and the timing belt changed. After that, I am no longer able to access anything!! It does not ask for a code for the navigation will only allow me to input the code for the radio. At least that works... It only gives me a 'please check your disc' error. I can live without the Navi, but the other controls are not something I am willing to do so.

I ordered an updated version of the Navi disc and it still does not work. It gives me the 'please check your disc' error.

I have seen on here and other places that it costs alot of $$ to get this fixed through Honda. I am not sure if I should just send my DVD unit to Alpine or if I should buy a new CD player that I could have a few more options with, that could be comparable in price.

If I was to buy an after market stereo, would I be able to access the temp again even though I change the touch screen/cd player out for the new system? AAHH... confused.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Bugging me...

Did you ever figure this one out? I have the same issue and what like access to my other controls.
A few years back my Nav sorta "stalled out" with the "Disc read error" but I was OK with it because the trip computer and AC controls were still working and I mostly use my iPhone for navigation. {I had the factory radio replaced with a Kenwood aftermarket unit when the sic CD changer jammed up a long time ago...}

The other day I had the main battery cable replaced by a very good independent shop and I when I got the MDX back the Nav screen now displays the dreaded "Downloading software" message for a while and then switches to "Please check your disc"...

I have not bothered checking fuses / connections but I have contacted United Radio who is the Alpine Authorized Repair Center east of the Rockies and they now want $470 for repairs. Also see that there is company out of Burnsville MN that says they'll do it for about a hundred less... How to Downgrade/Reset Honda Acura Navigation System Reluctant to do anything as I know it won't really add value to my 180K original owner and Illinois salty roads rusting vehicle...

I grok that the DVD-ROM units are now more than 13 years old but I can't be the only one who thinks it is less than stellar that Acura & Honda has turned their back on so many... :banghead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts