Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if anyone has run into this or not but, I am getting engine whine from my PS2. I hook it up to red, white, and yellow audio/video inputs on my Eclipse 7002 brain and I can hear engine noise. This is without the PS2 even being hooked to power. I thought maybe in was the power inverter but, I disconnected it and disconnected the PS2 from the power invertor and the noise is still there. I unhook the r,w,y cables and the noise goes away. I am going to call Eclipse to see what they think but, I thought I would ask here first. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The "whine" you hearing is interference coming from the altenator or it can also be from improperly run/insulated wires. You may need an inline filter if it's due to the altenator.

I'm sure the installer can help you resolve this issue.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I know what the noise is, I am needing to know how to cure it. It is strictly something in the PS2 or the audio/video input on the Eclipse. I am the installer. I installed everything myself. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
What about if you replace the r+w with some really good shielded rca cables? Or route the patch cable elsewhere?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kanuck. I thought about trying that. I have some really good cables but, I just did not know if it would work or not. The cable I use now runs from the PS2 into the Eclipse. It has the audio/video jacks at one end and the other is a plug that goes into the PS2. It is the cable that came with it. I would basically be using extentions to hook up better cables. I will give it a try though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Did you try another device to input into your Eclipse headunit to see if that make noise as well? By doing this you can isolate the problem between the headunit and the PS2. If it does come from the PS2 you can probably determine what cable it is coming from (r, w, y). Disconnect one at a time and see if the noise changes. It may be coming from just the red, or just the white, or maybe the video. Inverters have a tendecy to make noise. Try unplugging the PS2 from the inverter completely. Slowly isolate the problem to the smallest component possible. Hope this give you some ideas in your troubleshooting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
slackass, i didn't realize the PS/2 has a custom connector on one end so i guess you can't really try replacing that cable. however, i like Emerald01's idea of trying another source with a good cable to see if it's the PS/2+cable combo that causes the problem. if that works ok, i guess you could call Sony and see if they sell a better one...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like Emerald's idea too. I am going to take my home DVD player and try it. I can hook it up with an extention cord to bypass the invertor and try the invertor as well. I will let you know what I find out.

I hate the fact that Sony makes you use their cables. They are about as cheap as the come. I am not sure if there is another cable connector option or not. I have been looking into it and have not found anything yet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i'm just assuming it's not the invertor since you already tried disconnecting the power and still get noise. if it's caused by the PS/2 cable maybe you can shield it yourself by putting a sleve over it?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Noise problems are the worst!

They do make other cables for the PS2. They have one with an S-video and another with Component video but I guessing the Eclipse don't have these types of video input. I use the component one on my tv at home. Have you tried move the PS2 to a different location?

After you try the home DVD player and extension cord and (hopefully) get no noise you can also try the PS2 and an extension cord. And you already mentioned the home DVD with the inverter which is another good thing to try.

I have seen RCA cables with filters on them. I think RadioShack has a version of them. I know RadioShack... maybe not. Sometimes the stuff works.

·
Registered
64 Posts
slackass said:
Thanks for the reply. I know what the noise is, I am needing to know how to cure it. It is strictly something in the PS2 or the audio/video input on the Eclipse. I am the installer. I installed everything myself. Thanks anyway.
Sorry...

I've never done an install myself because things always get too complicated for me. Furthermore, every competition system I've had installed has been flawless. I guess that's why I posted my response.

-Doc

·
Registered
396 Posts
Slackass, any progress to your noise problem? Just curious.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
emerald.... not yet. i have been trying to load xp on my computer with nothing but problems. i am hoping to check out the noise over the weekend. i will let you know.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I just went out and tried a few things and it looks like it is the audio/video inputs on the Eclipse. I hooked up and old vcr I have and did not even plug it into power. All I did was hook up the 3 connectors. It seems to be something related to the red and yellow. The white has no effect. When the red and yellow are hooked up at the same time, it has the engine whine. Unplugging one or the other, and the noise goes away. I am going to call Eclipse next.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts