Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am interested in tracking down source for the plastic trim coating for front bumper, mirrors, hood, lites, etc. Does anyone have a source?

Thanks, TWD79

·
Registered
153 Posts
3M or ScotchGuard

Try to do a search on 3M or ScotchGuard. I know there were a couple of Threads discussing Hood Deflector and someone posted and suggested Clearcoat type of protection. I know www.MacNeil.com sells the headlight protector. Good Luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Stonegard is one of the ones offering it. I have their full kit on my BMW and am very happy with it.

Tom

twd79 said:
Am interested in tracking down source for the plastic trim coating for front bumper, mirrors, hood, lites, etc. Does anyone have a source?

Thanks, TWD79

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking at this as well. The film is from 3M and is called Scotchcal. Stongard (note the spelling) is one of the vendors. Invisi-shield is another. I think there is also one in Canada call Chipguard.

Does anyone else have actual experience with this product? It seems like a great product, but I don't know anyone who's actually used it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have Stongard installed on my X. I think it is great. You can only see it from about 6-10 feet away. It is invisible unless you get close to the X. My only problem is the cost... However, if it lives up to its name than it will be great. No more paint chips, yippeee

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
X-Pel

Just received my supply of X-Pel material in about 2 days after ordering. will install myself as I have done it before. They even threw in some additional pieces for free. Let you know when I get it on. Probably after I get my "02 in a few weeks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This may be an odd question, but are these removable? I've been thinking about this option for last few months and I have no idea how these things age. The manufacturers of course claim that they will not crack or yellow, but they come with something like a 7 yr warrenty. So what happens after that? Has anyone here tried them that long or know anyone who has? When these get old, how easy is it to remove them? I guess even if you can remove them, the paint will look different where the clearbras were. I'll be taking my mdx to skiing soon, so I need to make this decision pretty soon. One another ? - is stongard and clearbra same material cut by different company? Thanks:)

twd79-

could you please tell us how easy or difficult it is to install these things?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scotchcal

Yes, Stongard and Clear Bra are the same material- 3M Scotchcal.
I just had a Clear Bra application and it looks great. The installer
said that "steaming" is the process to remove the material, if and
when desired.

If you want additional information about experience with this
product use the search function to read a post by DBirch on
June 5. Very good comments.

BTW. the guy who did my installation reminded me to remove
the bugs from the Scotchcal as soon as feasible during insect
season.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We've got the 3M Sctochcal on our Black MDX, and I WON'T buy another car without it. Absolutely wonderful stuff, but not cheap. I love the feeling of driving down the road, hearing the bugs splat (not that part), and knowing that it will whipe off, and not damage the paint. But please understand that it will get damaged over time, just like a painted surface, but it is easily replacable.

To maintain it, you wax it (Zaino, my preference), just like any other part of the car.

We actually had it put on the back bumper as well, where everything is dragged across the edge.

As to removal, I haven't had the need, but I was told that it is easy to remove. But instead of peeling it back, which leaves the adhesive residue. I was told that you peel back a corner, and then stretch it toward you level with the surface, and it breaks free of the surface without leaving a lot of residue behind.

Recently, my wife hit something in the garage with the front end, and left a scrape mark across the Scotchcal on the front of the car/truck. And while only part of the scrape could be removed with polish, etc., my blood pressure was much lower knowing that a year from now, when it's beat up even worse, I can just replace it.

I paid about $500 for the install, but that includes the entire front bumber cover (had a piece specially made for below the fog lights because the kit didn't cover it), and a portion of the hood, as well as almost the entire back bumper. I consider my self to be pretty handy, but after watching the installation, and given the expense of the material, I would let a pro do the install.

By the way, Black is the absolute worst color, as it shows any small bubbles or imperfections as white. Lighter colors work much better. But even give the more obvious (but very small) imperfections because of the black paint, I would not hesitate to do it again.

As said, it is marketed under many different names. To me, the deciding factor on which "brand" to use is the extent of the coverage. At least one of the more popular brands had very poor coverage on the hood.

By the way, a thicker version of Scotchcal is what is used to cover headlights.

Hope this helps.

Dean

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had to remove my front bumper Stongard after I hit a huge piece of concrete in a parking lot. I used a hair dryer and the residue of glue was removed with Turpentine. Not hard but a lot of time consuming. Be patient and do it slowly, you don't want to ruin the clear coat of the paint. At the end?. Stongard save me from the body shop which many of us know a bumper is not the same after is repainted.

·
Registered
242 Posts
SOLD!

I'm going to get one. I'll be taking my MDX up to Mt Hood for skiing and I know how many stone chips you can get. Even if you don't drive on snow with gravel, like my moms minivan, the chips just build up over time. So I guess the choices are either stongard or x-pel. Does anyone here know any good installer in Portland, OR area? Thanks for all the good info.:D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Scotchcal installers

Try calling some auto window tinting businesses. Also, the local
car dealers know who does this kind of work. Your Acura dealer
would probably like to handle the referral but I expect it might
increase the cost.

The window tinter who did the job on my 'X' had some connection
to Clear Bra but didn't use the same pattern design shown for
the Clear Bra kits. He just worked from bulk material and cut his
own patterns which resulted in much better coverage of the
hood and other areas. Also, would apply the film to whatever
surface I specified such as the mirrors. He charged $450 which
I thought was pretty reasonable.

Enjoy the winter on "the mountain". Great country!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most Acura dealers will charge $495 for basic 3M Scotchcal (hood and fenders). The dealer markup is significant. I've found a local installer/dealer here in Denver that will come to your house,cut the raw material, and install the bra at a significant savings. His name is Bert Kennedy and can be emailed at [email protected]. Tel 720-341-2264.

He is a ceritified Clearbra installer and this is his only business. He is very knowledgeable and can answer most questions about the clearbra.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
10 Participants
mineral
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing