Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the highs, lows, and fogs bulbs made by Plasma Industries found at www.plasmaindustries.com . I purchased the three pairs for $49 from www.platinumprices.com but they have subsequently gone out of business. After a lot of research, they were the closest to real HIDs. The lows and fogs use the 9006 bulbs, and the the highs are the 9005s.

I got them because someone on the site posted that after he installed them and compared them with his wife's Lexus GS400 HIDs, that he couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Anyway, they can still be purchased on eBay, and they have a 10 year warranty. One of my bulbs actually went out in about 2 days, but they replaced it after I shipped it back to plasma industries. The other bulbs have gone on for 4 months without a problem.

These bulbs have higher wattage than factory, but no one that i know of has yet to have a problem with them. The 9006 is 80w and the 9005 is 100w.

You can buy the same bulbs from eBay. Attached is one of the auctions going for $19.99 for one pair of 9006 and one pair of 9005.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1839588182

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a pic of the low beam and fog turned on.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a pic of paul123's StageII HID 6000k Ultinon Low Beams for comparison. Of course the conditions and cameras are different, but just to give an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front view, noticed the blue on the high beams. Adds a little something during the day:p

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul123's again for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beam pattern with lows and fogs...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Very nice, especially for bulbs. They look pretty bright and for the money saving a good deal.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beam pattern with highs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Beam pattern without fogs...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All in all, I'm pretty happy. Paul123's got it right, it's a pretty good replacement for the price. Plus the 10 year warranty assures you'll get a replacement as long as the company doesn't go down:p

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have read that article before. Again, I don't hope to be able to achieve the same results as the Xenon bulbs. If I did I would buy the true HIDs. But, I personally find that the road signs are much brighter than stock. Additionally, I like the "white" look, and as far as I can tell and from the pictures I've attached, it's close enough for me for the amount that I've spent.

Speaking about the glare issue of the halogens mentioned in the article, I find that the true HIDs are often very bright and provide a strong glare that is sometimes distracting. It's a great feature providing safety for the car owner, but nothing's really perfect, even at $500.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For me, the halogens are good enough for now. It's got the "cool" factor and it is brighter than stock. What looks good may not always be times better in functionality. Just look at the rear deflector, and the grille guards. Grille guard MAY provide additional safety, but it raises concerns about airbag deployment. Additionally it may add to the danger for the other car during an accident. But the "cool" factor is more important to the driver.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Well I was hoping the bull-bar would put some degree of fear in the other driver when they are backing into a parking space. I don't want to hurt anyone.
Besides, that kind of smacks of the old SUV vs. sedan argument where it is wrong to be safer if it means more damage to the other guy.
Most accidents are the result of bad judgement and not to create intentional mayhem.
I could drive a mini Cooper up on a sidewalk and create all kinds of mayhem, I don't need an SUV for that.
Sorry, up early this morning, need more coffee.. don't get me wrong, I am not against cool, or I never would have bought an MDX!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed Dale. I was more responding more to the article. The reason I got an SUV, was exactly for safety. Since there are so many SUVs are out there, it's better to be in one if ever there is an accident than to be in a small sedan. I understand it's more dangerous for other sedans, but they are making the SUVs much more crash friendly for the sedans.

If my wife lets me, I'd also get the bull bar. But my point was just that sometimes we buy things for the cool factor, and it may not be better "functionally". For the halogens, I find it much nicer looking than stock, although it may not get 3 times the light output like the true HIDs do. So that's why the price made sense for me. Just answering to the article...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I understand totally. I just really got caught up on this light test of mine, taking pics of illuminated roads and whenever someone mentions a new bulb or system I am anxious to see how much light gets splashed on the road. Not a very scientific venture, but seems to add some credibility. I definitely like the color better of those bulbs. By the way, that link shows the auction dead. There was no 'Buy Now' option.
I would like bulbs like that myself for hi beams and fogs. I plan to keep the Silver Stars as low beams and may go to HIDs eventually.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
MDXtrous said:
For me, the halogens are good enough for now. It's got the "cool" factor and it is brighter than stock. What looks good may not always be times better in functionality. Just look at the rear deflector, and the grille guards. Grille guard MAY provide additional safety, but it raises concerns about airbag deployment. Additionally it may add to the danger for the other car during an accident. But the "cool" factor is more important to the driver.
Once you've actually driven with an HID system you will never want to go back. It makes it so much more safer for the driver of the MDX. You could see everything on the road ahead and much wider. If driving up a city street at night and a child was on the side you would see the child like daylight. This would also go for any type of animal even a rat. The beams make it like daylight in the evening. I really enjoy that I can see every pothole, piece of glass, or any potential dangers on the road and can avoid danger way in advance. In addition other driver can see me far in advance and aviod if I should loose control of my vehicle. I feel driver tend to move as they see the hid comming from behind. It tends to light up the rear of there vehicle so much they would rather move aside, which assists in getting thru traffic. The grille guards IMO are for parking purposes in city area where people tend to back up until they hit your car, and go forward until the hit your car. The guards would prevent from scratches and nicks on the front and back when parking. I was never thinking of additional protection during an accident. Actually I've been hearing they may cause addition front fram damage because they are directly bolted to front fram. I never even considered the air bag issue, I would assume if the hit was hard enough to make the bar hit the bumper the air bag would deploy. The main purpose for the bull bars are for slow bumps to prevent scratches and nicks. The bar could possibly save your life if the hit was hard enough, it may give an additional degree of safety in the front would not crush in as much. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts