Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part A - I hate to start this thread and I am sure this info is located somewhere on this site but I have searched this site under several different criteria and the web in general and have not been able to locate it (on the web it gives me conflicting diagrams). I have a 2006 MDX with the J35A5 V6 and need to know which cylinders/pistons are which in the layout. My error codes are saying that #1, #4 & #6 are misfiring.

Part B - I took my MDX into the Honda dealer for an $1,100 timing belt, water pump, belts & spark plug change but was advised to also replace leaking oil seals & TB tensioner and ran the bill up to $1800. When I picked it up, they told me there was still some misfiring but no codes. I think they just didn't want to ask me for anymore money on this trip but anyway, it ran fine for a week and even drove it on a 500+ mile biz trip. Sat most of the weekend and went to drive it on Monday to an airport 60 miles away and the Check Eng light came on. Seemed to drive fine both there and back. Stopped at Advance Auto Parts and had them run the scan for me (that said 1,4 & 6). My part B question is do I go ahead and bite the bullet and replace all six or just the three with the issue? I can do this repair myself but due to all my out-of-town travel time for work, spare time is in short supply on weekends.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Part A - I hate to start this thread and I am sure this info is located somewhere on this site but I have searched this site under several different criteria and the web in general and have not been able to locate it (on the web it gives me conflicting diagrams). I have a 2006 MDX with the J35A5 V6 and need to know which cylinders/pistons are which in the layout. My error codes are saying that #1, #4 & #6 are misfiring.

Part B - I took my MDX into the Honda dealer for an $1,100 timing belt, water pump, belts & spark plug change but was advised to also replace leaking oil seals & TB tensioner and ran the bill up to $1800. When I picked it up, they told me there was still some misfiring but no codes. I think they just didn't want to ask me for anymore money on this trip but anyway, it ran fine for a week and even drove it on a 500+ mile biz trip. Sat most of the weekend and went to drive it on Monday to an airport 60 miles away and the Check Eng light came on. Seemed to drive fine both there and back. Stopped at Advance Auto Parts and had them run the scan for me (that said 1,4 & 6). My part B question is do I go ahead and bite the bullet and replace all six or just the three with the issue? I can do this repair myself but due to all my out-of-town travel time for work, spare time is in short supply on weekends.
When my 04 came up with misfire codes on multiple cylinders the dealer advised and performed a valve adjustment which took care of my issue.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Part A - The order goes:

Rear (firewall)
1 2 3

4 5 6
Front (bumper)

Part B - If you can do it yourself, a valve adjustment is not a bad idea at all. It's cheap (only cost is the gaskets, assuming you have the necessary tools already) and you probably need it anyway. I did one on my '06 to smooth out a rough idle (did a little write-up about it here: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/98002-valve-adjustment-06-mdx.html) and it wasn't that bad a job (apart from the hassle of getting the rear valve cover off), just time consuming (around 4 hours if you take your time). I (and several others on this forum) noticed some tight valves and I'd venture to say that most of these engines, at this point in their life, have tight valves that should be adjusted.

Re: the coil packs: if I were replacing three of the six, I'd just do all six, reasoning that if half of them had gone bad, the other half wouldn't be far behind.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I agree with pibcak - if your MDX has over 100,000 miles on it, it's due for a valve adjustment, and that CAN cause a misfire, too. I just did mine, and didn't need to replace any gaskets at all, even though my 'X has 170,000 miles on it.

I'm on the fence about replacing coil packs though - the odds of three of 'em failing intermittently is pretty low, IMHO. What I' do is to swap the #1 and #5 coil packs so if you DO ever need to replace those three, they'd all be up front where they're a lot easier to get to. Also, if your 'X throws a code for 4, 5, an 6 after the swap, you are probably looking at bad coil packs. If it went back to 1, 4 and 6, you'd know it's something else.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Valve adjustment. Period.

That many coils don't fail at once. So don't waste your time chasing bad coils.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE!!!.....

I had decided to go with the valve adjustment but was putting it off till the long Thanksgiving weekend, however, right after this posting in early November I had also decided to run some Sea Foam through my gas tank figuring it couldn't hurt anything one way or the other. I stopped by Advance Auto Parts and they had a special price on two cans. I ran a full can through my tank immediately and added 5 oz to my crankcase from the 2nd can and added the remainder to the next tank of gas. No immediate results were noticed.

Yesterday, I had to go across the mountain on business to see a couple of customers. When I decided to head back home across the mountain, I noticed my check engine light was no longer on. Today, I drove another 250+ miles and still no light. While I don't know for sure if it was the Sea Foam or not, so far I'm a believer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts