Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
interesting, covid thing for me. I was due to buy tires this past spring, but we almost stopped driving or drove very little and I just now replaced the tires. we usually do about 800-100 per month. I put some pics of the new Mich Def 255/55/20 in this post.
IMG_3045[1].JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
900 Posts
I haven't at all and they don't show up in the top 10 recommended list for the MDX under the tab "The traveller". If this pandemic never occurred, I would have been putting roughly 500 highway miles per week. I am looking at the tires list again one last time before I place an order and purchase the tires by this evening. Dealer just confirmed I'm at 2/32nds.
I overlooked them before when the Conti LX25s were discussed. At $50 a tire less and only 5K warranty less they are a deal. An edit to my previous statement - if you prefer a firmer ride and crisper handling then I wouldn't recommend them, but if that's not your driving style like pushing it in the corners I think you'll like them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
IMG_3046[1].JPG

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looks like DT has been finalized. Honda was offering me tires that are not my preference at all. Just ordered Yokohama YK740 since DT was giving $110 discount and is rated in 2nd under "traveler" category. Getting my tires replaced on Wednesday (mounted and balanced) and an alignment on Saturday at Honda.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you get oem size?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Did you get oem size?
Yup. The fam said stay with what Acura recommends, otherwise I would have opt-ed for the 255/50R20.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just got the Yokohamas installed this early afternoon and the ride quality overall has improved. Stopping is much better (yeah, its new) and my father and brother were impressed that these tires are bigger than the OEM tires. The SA at DT was really surprized that our set of LX Sports lasted 42k miles. I will need to do an alignment this weekend and it'll be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
PROBLEMS WITH THE CONTINENTAL LX25
I just bought the Conti Lx25 for the great ratings. I have about 400 miles on them to date. So far, I really like many things about the tire but there is one BIG problem for me. Here in Denver, many of our highways are cement with small grooves along the direction of travel spaced about a 1/2" apart . These tires are terrible on those roads. The walk and even jump all over the place and will not track a line. So noticeable that my wife doesn't even like to drive the MDX. I've been back to the installation shop to check alignment again (had them aligned with the tire installation). The toe in was off quite a bit, which tells me the shop did a crappy job on the first alignment. They set them for 0 degrees right in front of me. This helped but not enough. The tires still wont track on these highways.
I've called Tire Rack and the best they will do is replace with another Continenal or General tire but the choices are really only one single general tire. I am not sure what to do. Has anyone else experienced this on these or other tires?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have experienced this before. In my navigator, it has to do with low profile tires and oversized rims. Try to bump up the height of the tire. It allows the tire to bend or flex more. Keep the pressure as recommended on door, the ride will be softer with taller tires, and it won’t handle the curves as well bcs the sidewalk will be taller. But it can handle expansion joints and cracks, etc better. As an example on the navigator I went from a 275/60/20 to a 275/65/20, it helped. I just replaced the tires on my MDX and went from 245/40/20 to a 255/55/20 and my tire pressure to no more than 35psi. The problem in a nut shell is caused by too much rim and too little tire. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Another quick thought. You could lwr the tire pressure to 32/33 psi and see if that helps. IMO contis are excellent tires. And the new version the ones you purchased are good so try to lwr pressure and if that doesn’t work try the taller tire.

·
Registered
190 Posts
PROBLEMS WITH THE CONTINENTAL LX25
I just bought the Conti Lx25 for the great ratings. I have about 400 miles on them to date. So far, I really like many things about the tire but there is one BIG problem for me. Here in Denver, many of our highways are cement with small grooves along the direction of travel spaced about a 1/2" apart . These tires are terrible on those roads. The walk and even jump all over the place and will not track a line. So noticeable that my wife doesn't even like to drive the MDX. I've been back to the installation shop to check alignment again (had them aligned with the tire installation). The toe in was off quite a bit, which tells me the shop did a crappy job on the first alignment. They set them for 0 degrees right in front of me. This helped but not enough. The tires still wont track on these highways.
I've called Tire Rack and the best they will do is replace with another Continenal or General tire but the choices are really only one single general tire. I am not sure what to do. Has anyone else experienced this on these or other tires?

What you are experiencing is known as ‘groove wander’. It has to do with the geometry of the tires/tread, along with the spacing of those Denver road grooves. They catch the tires in a way that tries to steer it abruptly.

A reputable tire shop or Acura dealer should be able to recommend something compatible that has worked for other MDX drivers in your area.

I would be tempted to look into some Nokian tires (all weather).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 51 of 51 Posts