Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
The issue with the dealers is that they don't do FREE tire rotations, and that's a deal breaker for me. Discount tire and Costco does FREE tire rotations, so I am going to be choosing one of these two.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Your dealers apparently don’t do free tire rotations on your particular vehicle. I had that added when I bought my CPO MDX back over Memorial Day weekend. My local Honda dealer also gives us free rotations. Clearly, YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your dealers apparently don’t do free tire rotations on your particular vehicle. I had that added when I bought my CPO MDX back over Memorial Day weekend. My local Honda dealer also gives us free rotations. Clearly, YMMV.

The thing is, none in the Central and South Florida regions offer free tire rotation. And its not for particular vehicles, its for like all the models. I bought my previous vehicle tires from the dealer we bought it from, each time i had to pay for tire rotations.

·
Registered
894 Posts
While Acura dealers may not do "free" tire rotations, tire rotation is 1 on the Maintenance Minder sub-menu. If you get service at an Acura dealer the tire rotation will be part of that service. Everyone has their own opinion, but to me, the incremental cost of rotations at the dealer is not worth the hassle to take the vehicle somewhere else for a tire rotation. Now if you don't get your vehicle serviced at the dealer, then that is another matter. Also, since the Maintenance Minder is not based on mileage, you may want your tires rotated more frequently. So no right or wrong, just preference.

Reactions: Pkrface

·
Registered
190 Posts
While Acura dealers may not do "free" tire rotations, tire rotation is 1 on the Maintenance Minder sub-menu. If you get service at an Acura dealer the tire rotation will be part of that service. Everyone has their own opinion, but to me, the incremental cost of rotations at the dealer is not worth the hassle to take the vehicle somewhere else for a tire rotation. Now if you don't get your vehicle serviced at the dealer, then that is another matter. Also, since the Maintenance Minder is not based on mileage, you may want your tires rotated more frequently. So no right or wrong, just preference.
This.

Much easier to do tire rotations as part of another service. Added cost is often nominal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This.

Much easier to do tire rotations as part of another service. Added cost is often nominal.

Typically when we get tires from Costco, we usually have them do the service while we shop. Plus, dealers most of the time won't give a great deal when we need to buy tires. I will call some dealerships in a bit to get price quotes.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Typically when we get tires from Costco, we usually have them do the service while we shop. Plus, dealers most of the time won't give a great deal when we need to buy tires. I will call some dealerships in a bit to get price quotes.
I can understand if you get tires from Costco, you can have tires rotated while shopping, so no special trip.
Ask dealers if they will price match.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I just put new tires on my MDX size 255/55/20 Mich Defenders. They are a little larger bcs I wanted the tire to stick out further from the rim to protect it, and I wanted a smother ride over pot holes and I like it when the tires fill out the wheel well. For us the vehicle is a cruiser, I don't care that I lost some handling, at 4500lbs the perception of handling is a perception, even though the MDX is outstanding for an SUV. I got 34K miles out of the contis, and probably couldn've gone a couple more thousand miles, but the hydroplaning was getting scary. So I pulled the trigger when discount tire offered me so much off the price. They ended up beating Costco, and discount even included their warranty, and they beat them by almost $70 all said and done. Doesn't seem like much when you are spending $1000, but I will only end up spending $900 after taxes, I love getting a deal. I love the mich defenders too, they are not exceptional handlers, but they are good jack of all trades, and excel in wet conditions. We can get btw 70"-100" of rain a year in the south end of the smokies. So rain is my biggest weather concern.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, change of plan. I just checked and realized my Honda dealership has a buy 3 tires and get 1 for free, plus FREE tire rotations. So I will be going to get my tires replaced at Honda now, with this sweet deal.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Well, change of plan. I just checked and realized my Honda dealership has a buy 3 tires and get 1 for free, plus FREE tire rotations. So I will be going to get my tires replaced at Honda now, with this sweet deal.
Not to overstate the obvious, but pay exactly zero attention to buy 3 get one free and focus on out the door. That deal equates to a 25% discount, but if they are overpriced that keep eat up the savings or potentially not even be a good deal. I'm sure you know, but...

Reactions: al-n-ak

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not to overstate the obvious, but pay exactly zero attention to buy 3 get one free and focus on out the door. That deal equates to a 25% discount, but if they are overpriced that keep eat up the savings or potentially not even be a good deal. I'm sure you know, but...
Obviously, I never buy tires from any dealership, except my previous one since we got the overpriced tire warranty. I was literally about to pull the trigger this morning for Discount Tire due to my front tires rubber starting to break apart. Giving Honda a call tomorrow while MDX is at service.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know about buy one get one free, I always disregard those commercials. I mean their not going to give you a tire, somebody is losing somewhere and it ain't the dealer (cars or cards), you can't beat the house.

I use Costco as a measurement, and maybe Walmart, then I look at discount and Mavis and talk to my contacts and see what I can work out. I have been buying a set of tires every year for the past few years so I actually know the people at my discount tire. They did give me a free rim and tire one time, but that is bcs the rim was damaged and the tire bcs they were so slow in getting the rims and tires to me. I bought 5 tires and 5 rims at the same time, ended up not paying full price for 4 rims and 4 tires, 5th was free. discount tire was or are offering a labor day deal this past week, but so was costco.

I like the new Defenders (255/55/20) I put on mine, but I had to let some air out. Discount had them at about 38psi and the handling felt weird so I aired them down to 33psi and they felt great. No rubbing so far and I just put 600 miles on them. They handled the curves in the mtns fine and I really didn't want to push them for a little while. I like the tires but I love the way they fill out the wheel wells.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have to see if the dealer could get the tires I finalized on, and if they don't I am literally going to order online from Discount Tire. I held my decision today even with my front two tires starting to crack and rip.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have to see if the dealer could get the tires I finalized on, and if they don't I am literally going to order online from Discount Tire. I held my decision today even with my front two tires starting to crack and rip.

I'm betting DT will be a better price. BTW, my earlier comment about making sure to check the bottom line compared to other options was really directed at others that might come along and read the thread. You had indicated earlier that you were looking well beyond individual tire prices.

As I have investigated the buy three or buy one get one deals over the years I have never encountered a scenario where it was a deal on anything I wanted. NTB runs buy one get one on off brands sometimes, and when I say off brand I'm talking China or Vietnam cheap. Other stores or brands when they run the buy 3 get one it typically means the first 3 are at MSRP (if there is an MSPR established) which may turn out to be a slightly better deal than normal if you had priced the same tires the day before the promo, but I've never seen it equate to a true free tire. On top of that they often still charge for mount and balance, again a tactic that does not result in the bottom line 25% less than the normal sale price. Continental/General runs $60-$120 rebates on a 30 day cycle and I've never been able to determine any particular pattern. Goodyear also runs rebates on a 30 day cycle and they have been somewhat predictable in that they peak in July and tail off heading into fall as people are more likely to be putting on new tires before winter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good advise earlier comment, Goodyear was I think offering $110 of a set of 4 at discount. I looked at the GY Max tires also but then I heard about the all lives, blue lives, etc HR program at GY, I bought the Michelin’s. Even though I paid more, all lives matter to me... companies should stay away from politics period.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Good advise earlier comment, Goodyear was I think offering $110 of a set of 4 at discount. I looked at the GY Max tires also but then I heard about the all lives, blue lives, etc HR program at GY, I bought the Michelin’s. Even though I paid more, all lives matter to me... companies should stay away from politics period.
Honestly, everything that isn't politics should literally stay out of it if they want to earn business. They do have one tire with an 85k mile warranty, but they literally had to go out of their way and loose my business. I know DT is offering $110 off for Yokohama tires as well.

I just got a price quote from the Honda dealer we bought our MDX brand new from, they are literally pushing to get Michelin. Looks like they are a Michelin authorized dealer, but the price is outrageous honestly. $1300 OTD. Clearly out of my budget!

·
Registered
900 Posts
OMG yes! I have been a GY fan for years and it really broke my heart to see them step in that steaming pile. They didn't have a good option for my most recent tire purchase, but I'll be staying away from them for future purchases. Naturally I'm conflicted because I abhor the cancel culture. Cooper is the only other truly American tire company and I tried them not all that long ago with only mediocre results unfortunately. That was only one set of course and one tire model never is a good indication for the entire company.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Honestly, everything that isn't politics should literally stay out of it if they want to earn business. They do have one tire with an 85k mile warranty, but they literally had to go out of their way and loose my business. I know DT is offering $110 off for Yokohama tires as well.

I just got a price quote from the Honda dealer we bought our MDX brand new from, they are literally pushing to get Michelin. Looks like they are a Michelin authorized dealer, but the price is outrageous honestly. $1300 OTD. Clearly out of my budget!
One question I don't know the answer to is, can the car dealers become an "official" dealer for any particular brand? If you can get a massively better price on the same tire from another store the answer is probably no.

In the good old days stores got their affiliations with certain tire companies and they bought tires directly from the manufacturer. Then the entire industry shifted to the tire stores buying from tire distributors, which meant a tire store could buy any brand that particular distributor handled. If you are recognized as an official dealer for that brand you get better pricing, but as a Goodyear/Continental/Cooper dealer I could sell you Michelin, Bridgestone, Firestone, whatever. My pricing just wasn't competitive with the official dealer on those brands so you either had to like me enough to pay more or your chose a brand I was a dealer for. I would guess I was 80-90% successful converting Michelin buyers to one of my brands when I showed them the same or better mileage warranty for 30% savings or more.

·
Registered
183 Posts
$1300 for MDX tires is high, really high. I paid $1200 for truck tires one time for BFG TKOs but I was in Alaska, and they were special snowflake rated heavy duty tires for my F250 diesel (6,700lbs vehicle). I'm still a firm believer in Costco, but they won't let you play with tire sizes, its oem size or nothing with them (usually). I rarely get OEM, bcs I don't care so much about gas mileage; I put rain handling, longevity and looks on top.

·
Registered
900 Posts

Just looking on the DT website, did you notice the General Altimax RT43? Don't let the price fool you at $121 each for a 65K rated tire. Very quiet and good on wet pavement. The only reason to avoid them IMO is if you are a spirited driver who prefers firmer handling and crisp handling. If you are a moderate to easy driver and like a cushy (though I wouldn't call it mushy) ride you can't beat the value. I just put a set on the wife's Ody and while they don't inspire me to push it hard in the corners it is a mini van. I like to push my MDX too much in the corners taking advantage of the SH-AWD, but on the van they are smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Just looking on the DT website, did you notice the General Altimax RT43? Don't let the price fool you at $121 each for a 65K rated tire. Very quiet and good on wet pavement. The only reason to avoid them IMO is if you are a spirited driver who prefers firmer handling and crisp handling. If you are a moderate to easy driver and like a cushy (though I wouldn't call it mushy) ride you can't beat the value. I just put a set on the wife's Ody and while they don't inspire me to push it hard in the corners it is a mini van. I like to push my MDX too much in the corners taking advantage of the SH-AWD, but on the van they are smooth and quiet.
I haven't at all and they don't show up in the top 10 recommended list for the MDX under the tab "The traveller". If this pandemic never occurred, I would have been putting roughly 500 highway miles per week. I am looking at the tires list again one last time before I place an order and purchase the tires by this evening. Dealer just confirmed I'm at 2/32nds.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts