Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done half of my research on tires that fits 245/50R20. My final top 3 options are:
  1. Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus II
  2. Continental Cross Contact LX25
  3. Bridgestone Ecopia H/L 422 Plus
I only had experience for #3 on a 15" and 17" sizes (15" for our old 99 Accord LX, 17" for our old 05 Odyssey EX-L), but haven't had any experience for #1 and #2. Please give your experiences for any of these tires as it would really help me on making my final decision on which tires to get.

·
Registered
2005 MDX
3 Posts
I have a 2005 MDX Touring with 260k, I have only purchased the Pirelli SCORPION VERDE Season Plus Touring Radial Tire - 235/65R17 104H for the last 10 years. I buy them on Amazon for $90-$100 each and have them installed fr about $20 a tire at a local Goodyear Auto Service Center. They look great and feel great on the road. Hope this helps.
Danny

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just got a quote from Costco for Michelin Primacy Tour A/S and BridgeStone Ecopia. The Michelin is costing near $1100 (OTD) and the Bridgestone is near $1000 (OTD), and I have to order them. Right now, as my research is going, the Michelin is out of the question, since it doesn't offer any advantage over others. The Bridgestone is still #3 choice, but I will not be shopping with Costco.

Right now here is the data I have collected so far regarding the tires I am looking at (my top 3 choices):
ContinentalCrossContact LX2570k miles / 7 year warrantyTire price: $787.96 (set of 4 from Tire rack)Tread depth: 12/32ndsCountry Made in: PortugalTire Size: 245/50R20
PirelliScorpion Verde A/S Plus II65k miles / Unlimited time warrantyTire Price: $823.60 (set of 4 from Tire rack)Tread depth: 11/32ndsCountry Made in: MexicoTire Size: 245/50R20
BridgestoneEcopia H/L 422 Plus70k miles / 6 year warrantyTire + installation price: ~$1000 (set of 4 from Costco)Tread depth: 10/32ndsCountry Made in: USATire Size: 245/50R20

I am going to hit up my tire guy pretty soon (well known person with amazing customer service in the Central Florida car community), for installation prices for the tires.

@Dankap911 Thank you for your input on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. How is the road noise in the cabin coming from the tires as they wear?

·
Registered
885 Posts
My ranking would be;
1. Continental
2. Brdigestone
3. Pirelli

The only ones I have actually driven on myself were the Pirelli's. They came OEM on a 2016 Ford Explorer company car I had. Took them off after 40K 90% highway miles because they got slippery on wet roads at about 6/32 tread.

PS - give your local tire shop the chance to meet/beat TireRack on pricing. Most times they will.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My ranking would be;
1. Continental
2. Brdigestone
3. Pirelli

The only ones I have actually driven on myself were the Pirelli's. They came OEM on a 2016 Ford Explorer company car I had. Took them off after 40K 90% highway miles because they got slippery on wet roads at about 6/32 tread.

PS - give your local tire shop the chance to meet/beat TireRack on pricing. Most times they will.
I will give my tire guys the chance, once I get a good understanding from many members from here on feedback on these tires. Thats when I will call around my tire guy and few tire shops for the best price. I got a quote for just mount and balance for all four tires is $85 from my tire guy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I replaced the Conti LX Sport with the LX25. It has a more aggressive appearance and has been terrific in the torrential wet we’ve had. The (low) rolling resistance for both is great, maximizing my MPG. Certainly the LX25s have a higher mileage rating than the Sport (that came on the car). I stayed w stock size. I paid ~$1k and stayed with stock size. I’m meticulous with maintaining quality tires on my, and wife and two daughters’ vehicles and after ~5k miles, I am very pleased with the LX25.

Note: I say this but have historically been Bridgestone loyal. Alenza Plus on my three other vehicles.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced the Conti LX Sport with the LX25. It has a more aggressive appearance and has been terrific in the torrential wet we’ve had. The (low) rolling resistance for both is great, maximizing my MPG. Certainly the LX25s have a higher mileage rating than the Sport (that came on the car). I stayed w stock size. I paid ~$1k and stayed with stock size. I’m meticulous with maintaining quality tires on my, and wife and two daughters’ vehicles and after ~5k miles, I am very pleased with the LX25.

Note: I say this but have historically been Bridgestone loyal. Alenza Plus on my three other vehicles.
I prefer Bridgestone too but now I'm gearing towards the Conti CC LX25s. Whats the mileage difference have you seen since you put on the LX25s? And is there any road noise difference between the two?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Zero MPG difference. Both have been outstanding!

I wish I could give you some quantification regarding noise other than, “I think the same.” But if I noted anything worse, it would seriously impact my opinion negatively. And I like the tire.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My tire guy said the Conti LX25s are super expensive, which means I gotta take the tire rack route, order and ship them to my house, load them into the trunk of the MDX and pay my tire guy $85 to install them (he doesn't have an alignment system so probably might end up stopping by Honda for the alignment or my indie mech).

·
Registered
885 Posts
My tire guy said the Conti LX25s are super expensive, which means I gotta take the tire rack route, order and ship them to my house, load them into the trunk of the MDX and pay my tire guy $85 to install them (he doesn't have an alignment system so probably might end up stopping by Honda for the alignment or my indie mech).

If he is not a Continental dealer that would be true. Every tire store can get every brand, but I faced the same issue with Michelin because I wasn't an official dealer.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If he is not a Continental dealer that would be true. Every tire store can get every brand, but I faced the same issue with Michelin because I wasn't an official dealer.
I know that, but like price wise I'm trying to get the best deal possible. Its very weird that Costco is a Michelin official dealer but charges an Arm and Leg for the tires.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I know that, but like price wise I'm trying to get the best deal possible. Its very weird that Costco is a Michelin official dealer but charges an Arm and Leg for the tires.

And I'm all for saving money where I can. The only caution I have is dealing with any warranty issues can be a real hassle with TireRack because of the shipping, etc. When a tire store has a warranty issue they push it back through their distributor and rarely do they have a problem. They determine there is a warrantable issue, order the replacement, and handle all of the paperwork internally. With TireRack you have to process the claim back through them, pay the store for dismount/remount/balance, etc. IMO there needs to be a significant difference to make it worthwhile, but only you can decide how much is too much difference to ignore.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And I'm all for saving money where I can. The only caution I have is dealing with any warranty issues can be a real hassle with TireRack because of the shipping, etc. When a tire store has a warranty issue they push it back through their distributor and rarely do they have a problem. They determine there is a warrantable issue, order the replacement, and handle all of the paperwork internally. With TireRack you have to process the claim back through them, pay the store for dismount/remount/balance, etc. IMO there needs to be a significant difference to make it worthwhile, but only you can decide how much is too much difference to ignore.
Thats true. But then I barely used the tire warranty at all, only used it twice (Costco replaced a tire on the Accord due to unknown air leak, local Nissan dealer replaced tire due to my dad buying all the unnecessary warranties for the Rogue). Still going to see how much Honda is gonna charge me. Also I did got price quotes from Tires Plus and Firestone and both are a huge ripoff IMO.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just looked at Discount tire online and they have the same price as Tire rack. Looks like a better value than going elsewhere based on the price of the tires and free tire rotation (I don't believe tire rotation should be expensive, even at $20, as $10 is more justifiable).

Anyone who has experience with Discount Tire, do they offer alignments with the $100 upfront fee?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just looked at Discount tire online and they have the same price as Tire rack. Looks like a better value than going elsewhere based on the price of the tires and free tire rotation (I don't believe tire rotation should be expensive, even at $20, as $10 is more justifiable).

Anyone who has experience with Discount Tire, do they offer alignments with the $100 upfront fee?
DT does not do alignments AFAIK. At least not during my last rodeo there.
Should be painlessly easy to find a coupon/special somewhere else though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My Acura SA just told me the tires are literally unsafe to drive on and have no tread life left. Just got an OTD quote from the dealer for the LX25 which is coming out to $1078.63. Definitely going to go with Discount Tires at this rate.

·
Registered
893 Posts
My Acura SA just told me the tires are literally unsafe to drive on and have no tread life left. Just got an OTD quote from the dealer for the LX25 which is coming out to $1078.63. Definitely going to go with Discount Tires at this rate.
If the dealer does all your service, see if they will match the Discount Tire price. I did this with my wife's 13 Lexus ES300h when the dealer said it needed tires. Went online and got DT quote that was about $250 cheaper, and dealer matched it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If the dealer does all your service, see if they will match the Discount Tire price. I did this with my wife's 13 Lexus ES300h when the dealer said it needed tires. Went online and got DT quote that was about $250 cheaper, and dealer matched it.
The issue with the dealers is that they don't do FREE tire rotations, and that's a deal breaker for me. Discount tire and Costco does FREE tire rotations, so I am going to be choosing one of these two.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The issue with the dealers is that they don't do FREE tire rotations, and that's a deal breaker for me. Discount tire and Costco does FREE tire rotations, so I am going to be choosing one of these two.

Yep. If you pay for all of your rotations at the dealer you might as well just skip them and replace the tires sooner because of the cost.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts