Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Pioneer DVD/Navi system?
Any problems making it work with the existing display?
Taking delivery of 2002 Red Rock next week and thinking
of installing it. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Don Hyatt
carypolitics.org

·
Registered
140 Posts
What do you mean by "interfacing with the existing display"? IF you mean the navigation, why buy the AVIC-9DVD and not just a dvd player? I am taking it that you have navigation already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I don't have the navigation system. I took too long to make up my mind :mad: and I don't want to wait another 6+ weeks for one w/navigation. I decided to look at aftermarket solutions and the Pioneer AVIC-9DVD looks pretty slick. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with it and what it's going to take to connect it to the trip computer display.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe the trip computer display is the same as the navi display as far as input signals go. You will need a composite to RGB decoder, which we have been using the pioneer avc-rgb1 and modifying it, but it has since been discontinued and very hard to come by.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The "trip computer display", that is, the piece of glass on a non-navi MDX that shows the compass rose, gas mileage, temperature, etc. is NOT a general purpose display. It is a dedicated liquid crystal. It has all the things it can show, like the compass rose, pre-etched in the glass; it cannot show anything else.

Go out to your MDX, do not start it, do not turn the ignition on, so have no power to the display at all. Glare the light off the trip computer display, that is move your head around to different angles... You will be able to see all the pre-etched display elements in a trip computer display.

This means the trip computer display can not ever be used to display an external signal, such as an aftermarket nav or DVD.

You will need an additional display, such as the Kenwood, Pioneer, Alpine, etc. units that fit in a dash mount and power extend/retract, or a fixed mount display somewhere else, or etc.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There you go! Thanks for clearing that up for us, I didn't know it was a dedicated LCD with all images already in place. So that's the answer, you will definitely need a seperate screen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts