Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping one of the experts here can steer me in the right direction.

My parents' cottage has many pine trees and often when we visit there I find a spot of pine sap on my car that does not come off with a simple wash. I'm wondering what you would use to remove it. The bug and tar compound I've used on my other cars seems a little harsh for MaDam X's finish. Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Armor-All Car Wash

Try Armor-All Car Wash and Bug remover and warm water. I have found that if I dab the soap on full strength to bug splats and tar and let it sit a minute it loosens it right up. I would then use warm soapy water to work it off.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't purport to be one of the "experts" but I'll answer anyway. BugnTar Remover. I've used turtle wax's with good results. You'll want to wash it off once you've used it, though.

You can also use mineral spirits or denatured alcohol, which is what most of the bug&tar removers contain, anyway.

And, keep in mind that these products will remove whatever wax/polish you're using, so you'll need to reapply the wax/polish afterward to the de-sapped area(s). You might consider a quick detailer or spray wax to do that.

·
Registered
359 Posts
If it's just the one spot: Peanut butter. I learned that on this thread. I had one on my hood for the last year! Saturday for kicks I tried it. Bang! gone and no scratches. (This was even after I had a shop "detail" it with wax for me last year!)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ive heard that WD40 works but have never tried it. Personally, I'm going to try the Peanut Butter method next time.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I took on a particularly stubborn patch of sap on my roof earlier this week - here's the results:

peanut oil - no help

peanut butter, Jiffy, creamy style - not much better

Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover - worked great, sap came loose in a minute or two, minimal elbow grease

$1.74/can at Menards, go for it! :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks for the timely thread!

I drove my week-old MDX to Cub Scout summer camp last weekend and smartly parked between two pine trees so I wouldn't get any door dings. Hours before leaving, a tree fell in that vacinity. You can guess my reaction! It turned out to be a "controlled falling".

I returned home to find a single pine sap drop. I just Zaino'd my car and was surprised to see that the clay bar did not fully remove the mark. Now I know what to use.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, we tried the peanut butter approach and it worked great on recent pine tar drops. The ones that had accumulated overnight came off great, one from the previous week came off with some extra elbow grease. One stubborn one, probably from memorial day didn't come all the way off.

Next step is the Turtle Wax Bug 'n' Tar, but I am worried that it will take any wax off with it. Did you do anything special after you used it, Ghost?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
elf89 said:

Next step is the Turtle Wax Bug 'n' Tar, but I am worried that it will take any wax off with it. Did you do anything special after you used it, Ghost?
Well, yes, I waxed the entire MDX! But this was because I was setting up to do a wax job anyway:)

But it seems like Turtle Wax B&T has its own wax component - you put it on and buff it off, and the places that have been buffed don't seem to have the wax removed.

Just to be safe, I bet Turtle Wax has an 800 number you can call to see if you need to reapply wax...

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
ghost said:
I took on a particularly stubborn patch of sap on my roof earlier this week - here's the results:

peanut oil - no help

peanut butter, Jiffy, creamy style - not much better

Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover - worked great, sap came loose in a minute or two, minimal elbow grease

$1.74/can at Menards, go for it! :)

After enduring the other two methods it was probably READY to surrender! :D:D

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I don't know, I've taken to giving my MDX regular peanut oil rubdowns - it reduces wind resistance, and those bugs just slide right off! And of course, peanut oil is relatively low in cholesterol :D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
ghost
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing