Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody familiar with the MDX roof rack take a look at this pick and see if it looks possible to put a Pilot roof rack on an MDX. I'm hoping the location of the studs is identicle.

This is a close up of the Pilot's rack. (Why couldn't the MDX rack have been designed like this?????)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Looks like it might work! You would have to make sure the width is the same.
From there the trim material could be cut into additional sizes to accomodate the additional rack.
Make sure the front bar clears the moonroof, etc.
Once available as an accessory (is it?) you should be able to download the installation instructions. In the meantime, go to a Honda dealer with a tape measure and ask if you can do some measurements. Be careful, you may want to use a cloth tape measure, or end up paying them for the scratches!!!
Tim, do you have more info on these?

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I'll try to get more info when I've got a little time on my hands....for the moment, I'm too busy sending the stuff out to look inside the boxes ;)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I visited the Honda dealer and took a closer look at the Pilot's rack. It looks like the channels that hold the side rails are different than the MDX's. They also don't use any plastic trim pieces between the mounting locations as they do on the MDX.

I also noticed that there are two different Pilot racks. There's the one that comes standard on the EX, and an accessory rack that you can get optional on the other model. They have different load ratings (150 lbs vs. 100 lbs).

The Pilot in the dealer show room had a list price of $37K!!!! (no nav). It had about $5K of dealer installed options. I'll continue waiting for my base level MDX.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another option that I'm looking into is the roof rack from the Honda Odyssey. The channels on the Odyssey appear to look more like the MDX channels. You can get an Odyssey rack for about $215.

Here's a pic of the Odyssey rack

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I read all of mgmdx's threads on roof racks. His Yakima tracks solution is what I'll end up using if I can't get a definitive answer about the Pilot rack.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Pilot rack looks allot like the current Ody. rack (that you get now from parts). That rack does not fit MDX without major mods to the rack......which probably would look bad. Have not seen the Pilot rack first hand, but do not belive it will make it. For info, the real problem, assuming you are willing to do some cutting of crossbars etc anyway, is the rear mount of the Ody. rack. It sticks out over the rear gate, and would interfer when opening. Don't ask how I know.......................

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you're right. The Odyssey and Pilot racks look identical. I found the installation instructions for the Odyssey rack. It mounts completely different than the MDX rack, so I think neither Pilot or Odyssey rack will work on MDX as is (or with simple mods).

Looks like Yakima Tracks will be the way I proceed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where to find used odyssey roof rack?

Howdy, folks,

After some research, I think I can make an odyssey roof rack fit on my MDX without drilling. But I am reluctant to spend 200 bucks to buy a new odyssey rack. Is there a place I can buy a salvaged odyssey rack for less? Thanks.

Regards,
-TL

·
Registered
217 Posts
Been there, tried it. Can do w/o drilling, but will require several cuts to the Rack itself. Biggest issue is the back mount. It is needed to secure rack down, but the back of the mount will protrude and interfere with the lift gate. You could cut the back mount to fit, but with the way it is made, probably would not look good.

I do have a rack (from trying) I plan to e-bay. Would hate to mislead you though, do not think it can be done within reason and with good fit

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am aware of the problem with the rear mount. Cutting the rack is a solution, but, as you said, it is not the best solution. Instead I plan to make a set of mounting adaptor out of aluminum blocks such that the rack move forward by 3" or so. I'm pretty sure I can make it.

For your rack, what price range do you have in mind from ebay? I assume you didn't cut them yet. Thanks.

Regards,
-TL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Pilot Rack on MDX

I went to my local Honda dealer and measured the Pilot rack.....it is too long.

The mounts for the front and middle are probably OK for a 2001, but with the 2002 the front rail has been moved back.

The rear mount will not work either, as the pilot is more vertical at the back than the MDX, so the roofline is longer. Hence the pilot rack overhangs the back of the MDX

May work with some surgery on the rack itself, I will look into this some more

I am so peeved about the MDX rack......I'll have to borrow my wife's Town & Country to go windsurfing !

·
Registered
16 Posts
The rear mount will definitely be hanging if the original 4 stubs are used to attach the front and middle mounts. But if the rack can be moved forward by several inches, the problem will be solved. In the odyssey roof rack kit, plastic adaptors are provided for attaching the front, middle and rear mount to the stubs (there 3 pairs on odyssey).

Chances are those plastic adaptors are useless anyway; the holes for the stubs might have different distance. New adaptors are needed. I plan to make those new adaptors with aluminum blocks that fits into the rain gutter, just like the plastic adaptors. The only diffenence is that they are 3 to 4 inches longer, so that the racks can be moved forward just enough to let the rear mount sit on the roof.

Well, that is what I plan to do when I get hold of a set of odyssey roof racks at reasonable price.

-TL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts