Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a little concerned about whether it would work or not based on different bits of information I have read, but it's works fine. I have an '02 Touring X and Yakima has holes already in the Space Cadet that allow it to fit perfectly.

I did not take it out for a test run, and I only attached the two brackets on the right side to make sure the holes were properly spaced so it would fit on top, but I had no problems. One observation I made is that when I am actually ready to use it, it needs to be put on on the OUTSIDE of the garage, because otherwise it makes it too tall to get out of the garage. :)

I will be using it on vacation next month, so I'll take some pictures and give a review when we get back. Thanks to everyone who provided input during my research process.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Please do post those photos and your experience with the Yakima Space Cadet -- I'm considering that one or one of Thule's boxes for our family vacation this summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yakima Rocket Box fits great. I had it on my minivan on the Yakima racks, and intend to go from MA to Colorado starting a week from Friday with the Rocket Box. I've had it on for about a week, and aside from not wanting to open the sun roof (too much wind noise) and it shadowing my nice view of the sky, you don't even notice it. It does make for a tall car, though.

I've stuffed this box on the minivan on previous trips to Colorado in the winter, alongside a ski rack, and it works great!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Only-Acura- can you post some pics after you mount it on. I'm looking for a box myself and am looking at the choices between thule and yakima. How much did you pay for yours? Did you have to get other hardware for the installation or is it all included in the box?

thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nysimonsez said:
Only-Acura- can you post some pics after you mount it on. I'm looking for a box myself and am looking at the choices between thule and yakima. How much did you pay for yours? Did you have to get other hardware for the installation or is it all included in the box?

thanks
I will have pictures in the very near future, but to answer your other questions, I paid $299 for mine. I got it at the sporting goods store Galyans here in Louisville.

The hardware DOES come with it, so there was NO additional accessories needed. I used it this weekend and it works like a charm. I got it up to 90 mph and it was very stable.

It has good capacity and I would recommend this cargo carrier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you mount this Yakima product to Acura installed racks? I have a space case and cannot figure out how to mount it on to my new mdx which has factory installed racks. Any ideas?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
midasmaybemdx said:
Did you mount this Yakima product to Acura installed racks? I have a space case and cannot figure out how to mount it on to my new mdx which has factory installed racks. Any ideas?
Yes, I mounted the Space Cadet to my factory rack. I have a 2002 Touring X. They have several hole choices on the SC and a certain set of holes fits perfectly. It does not block my sunroof and I can still open the back completely without any problems. I have only had this one carrier so I cannot speak for any other carrier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yakima Rocket Box

Only_Acura said:

Yes, I mounted the Space Cadet to my factory rack. I have a 2002 Touring X. They have several hole choices on the SC and a certain set of holes fits perfectly. It does not block my sunroof and I can still open the back completely without any problems. I have only had this one carrier so I cannot speak for any other carrier.
OK, I'm back from Colorado. The Rocket Box is narrower and longer than the space cadet, allowing you to put other stuff on the rack alongside (we usually fit ski racks and or bikes alongside on the minivan). It fits the rack fine. The sun roof works fine, but the wind drag on the box on the highway makes for a noisy ride. The box blocks the view out the sun roof, so I slid the cove over it and got an even quieter ride. The biggest problem :( is that the back hatch does NOT open fully, as the top of the window rests on the back of the box. One other slight problem is that the antenna is slightly compressed by the back of the box, but it is flexible and this didn't affect radio reception.

Like I said, I didn't buy it for this car, but for my minivan with the Yakima racks. I believe that Yakima sells clips to fit their other attachments on the factory rack on my Acura as well. The rack is very sturdy, and you can bet that I'll be putting bikes, skis, etc. on the car as the summer progresses.

:cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
space case and MDX

Re: an earlier question of mine about a space case and mounting it on the factory racks of MDX. I called Yakima and their customer service people were no help at all. I called the Thule people and they were very knowledgeable about their products and referenced the Explorer product line as suitable. I was especially taken with the fact that the Thule product would mount with a universal type of bracket and this product was similar to the space case. Then I went to REI, and they sold me the Thule mounting brackets and I redrilled the space case and mounted it. Because this case is an older vision and the mold had some indentations, I had to mount it off center and the front end sticks way out over the roof racks, but thus far, it seems to work around town. On Saturaday, we are leaving Kansas for Montana. Hopefully, with out a boom or bust.....wish me luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: space case and MDX

midasmaybemdx said:
Re: an earlier question of mine about a space case and mounting it on the factory racks of MDX. I called Yakima and their customer service people were no help at all. I called the Thule people and they were very knowledgeable about their products and referenced the Explorer product line as suitable. I was especially taken with the fact that the Thule product would mount with a universal type of bracket and this product was similar to the space case. Then I went to REI, and they sold me the Thule mounting brackets and I redrilled the space case and mounted it. Because this case is an older vision and the mold had some indentations, I had to mount it off center and the front end sticks way out over the roof racks, but thus far, it seems to work around town. On Saturaday, we are leaving Kansas for Montana. Hopefully, with out a boom or bust.....wish me luck.
I agree with the comments about the Yakima support. The Yakima cases do not need drilling, they just go right on, which is why I would suggest looking at them.

PF

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a Yakima Space Cadet on my 2001 MDX

My factory racks are spaced 32" from the mid point of the front cross bar to the rear. The predrilled holes in the Space Cadet do not accomodate this distance. I drilled one hole on each side at the rear, displacing the attachment point 2" forward. There is already another hole 4" away forward that works with this new hole. The instructions that come with the box state "Do not drill additional holes," but since the new hole was within the others and did not shift the box an appreciable amount, I went and did it anyway. The Space Cadet then went on without a hitch. It doesn't block the rear lift or the moonroof. The only downside is that with the box on the racks, the MDX won't fit in my garage, that has an 80" clearance. The height of the MDX with factory rack is 71.3" and the Space Cadet adds 15". I'll be taking a camping trip next week and will report back if there is any problem with this unit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A question for those who have mounted the Yakima Space Cadet on the MDX factory rack: is there room to mount one bike holder on the factory rack along side the Space Cadet? I have a four bike rack that fits in a receiver hitch, but I have three kids and we sometimes need a place to carry a fifth bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: I installed a Yakima Space Cadet on my 2001 MDX

The Rocket Box is the one that comes predrilled with two sets of holes, and fits on the MDX factory racks. It is longer and narrower than the Space Cadet, and a bicycle would certainly fit next to it. Only downside is the rear hatch not opening fully, and of course it not fitting in the garage OR a parking garage (i.e. don't mount it and go to pick somebody up at Logan Airport!!!

PF

jwiatt said:
My factory racks are spaced 32" from the mid point of the front cross bar to the rear. The predrilled holes in the Space Cadet do not accomodate this distance. I drilled one hole on each side at the rear, displacing the attachment point 2" forward. There is already another hole 4" away forward that works with this new hole. The instructions that come with the box state "Do not drill additional holes," but since the new hole was within the others and did not shift the box an appreciable amount, I went and did it anyway. The Space Cadet then went on without a hitch. It doesn't block the rear lift or the moonroof. The only downside is that with the box on the racks, the MDX won't fit in my garage, that has an 80" clearance. The height of the MDX with factory rack is 71.3" and the Space Cadet adds 15". I'll be taking a camping trip next week and will report back if there is any problem with this unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Response to Kflint

Kflint,

Re whether there is room for a Space Cadet and bike rack on the MDX factory rack:

I believe the Space Cadet should be mounted on center, which leaves only about 1" on either side to attach to the factory rack. Only if you were to move the Space Cadet to one side would there be any room at all for a bike rack, and in that configuration I'm not sure how an off center Space Cadet would perform. It certainly wouldn't look good that way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Differences between '01 and '02 factory racks

Is there any differences between the '01 and '02 factory racks? I just purchased a Space cadet for my '02 X and plan to install it this weekend. From what I read here it seems like I will not need to drill any holes in the box for the installation. Any comments is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: Differences between '01 and '02 factory racks

pthai said:
Is there any differences between the '01 and '02 factory racks? I just purchased a Space cadet for my '02 X and plan to install it this weekend. From what I read here it seems like I will not need to drill any holes in the box for the installation. Any comments is much appreciated.
pthai,

The only difference between the '01 and '02 factory racks is that the front crossbar is moved further back on the '02 rack, thus reducing the distance between the two crossbars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Re: Differences between '01 and '02 factory racks

Oh, so that's how they got around the wind noise coming into the sun roof. That will cause a problem for the Yakima box, of couse!

PF

mgmdx said:

pthai,

The only difference between the '01 and '02 factory racks is that the front crossbar is moved further back on the '02 rack, thus reducing the distance between the two crossbars.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Excellent fit

I installed the Space Cadet cargo box on my '02 X this weekend and it was a breeze. Did not need to drill any additional holes in the box. Just used the existing holes. Thanks everyone for your help in this discussion.

BTW, I was curious what kind of gas mileage did you guys get with the Space Cadet on top of the X?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts