·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
miller

He is a honest seller. I done business with him many times.

·
Registered
122 Posts
PIAA 2500K 9006 Bulbs

Do you know of another source for the PIAA 2500k 9006 bulbs? I checked the web link and it says they are not available.

I would really like to replace the OEM bulbs in my fog lamps to something that works better on wet surfaces and the 2500K PIAA look like the best bet, however they don't seem to be sold much in the states. The best price I've seen is $99.95+ S&H. Seems I should be able to find them closer to $75-80.

Any leads would be appreciated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I thought about that, but even in auxillary lights the longer wavelength 2500K bulbs are tough to find. I really prefer the amber lighting for fogs since wet surfaces absorb the shorter wavelengths (>3500K white to blue spectrum) more than the yellow wavelengths. Also I find amber/yellow to be much more useful when driving thru snow, far less glare. It seems strange that in the 60's & 70's fog lights were always amber and today everyone just sticks a bright white halogen in...

Anyway, if I can find the right bulbs it will make the existing fogs much more useful.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Philips Weather Vision Bulbs

I finally gave up on finding the PIAA 2500K 9006 bulbs for my fogs. I talked with a friend in England who recommended the Philips Weather Vision bulb which is a "semi" yellow bulb DOT approved for fog light applications. I ordered a pair of bulbs ($40 with shipping).

I'll let you know how they work out...

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Philips Weather Vision Bulbs

dbauchat said:
I finally gave up on finding the PIAA 2500K 9006 bulbs for my fogs. I talked with a friend in England who recommended the Philips Weather Vision bulb which is a "semi" yellow bulb DOT approved for fog light applications. I ordered a pair of bulbs ($40 with shipping).

I'll let you know how they work out...
Why did you give up on the Piaa Japan 2500k ion plasma 9006???? Ebay had the best price directly from japan, and auto freak in New Jersey also carried them.

http://www.autofreak.net/lightf.html

PS- I bought my first set from Auto Freak and my second from the ebay dealer both very reputable dealers. Excellent bulbs very bright and look awesome.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Paul123,

The 2500K 9006 replacements are no longer available on ebay and for some reason I can't access the link you provided. Don't know why???

Anyway, I just finished a trip where I drove for hours in blinding snow and decided the white fogs had to go... Since I couldn't find a source for the PIAA's, I decided to try the Philips. Note: Lumen output is very similar between the two bulbs as is the design. For $40 bucks I can't lose much...

I know HID's are the "hot" lighting theme at the moment, (and they are nice during the summer), but I think they are really poor in the rain and they absolutely suck in the snow. They are too "blue" (short wavelength) for wet surfaces and the glare off falling snow is blinding. Note: Driving in Baltimore during the big snowstorm on Sunday evening, I could identify every HID equipped vehicle from behind by the huge light halo preceding them. I don't know how they could see anything thru the glare. I wonder if anyone else noticed this phenomena?

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dbauchat said:
Paul123,

The 2500K 9006 replacements are no longer available on ebay and for some reason I can't access the link you provided. Don't know why???

Anyway, I just finished a trip where I drove for hours in blinding snow and decided the white fogs had to go... Since I couldn't find a source for the PIAA's, I decided to try the Philips. Note: Lumen output is very similar between the two bulbs as is the design. For $40 bucks I can't lose much...

I know HID's are the "hot" lighting theme at the moment, (and they are nice during the summer), but I think they are really poor in the rain and they absolutely suck in the snow. They are too "blue" (short wavelength) for wet surfaces and the glare off falling snow is blinding. Note: Driving in Baltimore during the big snowstorm on Sunday evening, I could identify every HID equipped vehicle from behind by the huge light halo preceding them. I don't know how they could see anything thru the glare. I wonder if anyone else noticed this phenomena?
You can email the dealer at the ebay site at [email protected](753)

I found my 6000k hids to be excellent in the snow and rain. I like the piaa in combination with the stage 11 hid's really light up the entire road in front of my vehicle. I do believe the higher color blue above the 6000k to have a large loss of light.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Evaluation of Phillips Weather Vision Bulbs

Installed the 9006 Phillips Weather Vision Bulbs in the fog lamps and have had some opportunity to review. So here's my initial thoughts. Haven't driven in falling snow or rain yet but have driven extensively on snow covered roads.

1. The Weather Vision bulbs definitely have a more yellowish cast to them as compared to the OEM bulbs. But you can't begin to call it amber like you see on some European fog set-ups.

2. The overall effect is diminished by the whiter light of the low beams. Due to this the headlight pattern is whiter at the outer limits and transitions to a more mellow yellow closer to the front of the MDX. Side fill due to the fogs is light yellow. (I do wish it was more amber, but the low beam fill really washes it out.)

3. However, wet surfaces are illuminated with better contrast and less glare. Definitely less fatiguing and easier on your eyes when reflecting off snow. However, if you don't live in a snow zone that's not an issue.

4. Light pattern is very even with no hot spots.

So at this point, the results aren't really dramatic. I can't really recommend that everyone should run out and get the 2500K bulbs as the differences are pretty subtle. I'll let you know how they are when driving in the rain or falling snow.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have had the opportunity to use both the Phillips Weather Vision Bulbs and the PIAA 2500K 9006 Yellow-Ion bulbs in my fog lamps and I must say that the PIAA bulbs are defintely better for driving in fog period. I use the Phillips Weather Vision 9005 bulbs for my highs and I find them to be better than the stock Acura bulbs. Of course my standard 9006 low beams have been replaced with Philips 4300K HIDs. I have my PIAA yellow ions come on with my parking lights so it really helps me out when we are having an overcast day here in Florida :D

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
PIAA 2500K Fog Lights

I just received my PIAA 2500K Fog Lights from iMotorGear.com. It took about two weeks to get them, but the total was only $51.75 shipped. Pretty reasonable I thought compared to other vendors. If you are considering these, this may be a good option. Here are some pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
You can kind of see the yellower light on the passenger's side light.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Side by side compare. Again, very subtle difference. The PIAA is on the left.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
View from the road (blurry)- no fog lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
View from the road(blurry) - fog lights on.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Wow! :eek: You are an auto electrician for sure, what with DRLS, and now these. Electrically speaking, you are sharp :29:

·
Registered
421 Posts
I used to have some of those, they work great and look good, but not the look i was going for. I replaced them with Naxxos bulbs. Looks great The yellow foglight gives a off road look, but they really work in the rain too. Thats a damn good price too for it. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Thanks. I was quite "shocked" at how simple the install was. I removed the whole light housing as opposed to reaching up and changing just the bulb. Took about 10 minutes. We'll see how long these bulbs last. Now I need to wire the fogs so they can come on with just the parking lights on. Shouldn't be too bad.:2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts