Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced OEM (Sylvania) low beams with PIAA Super Whites and other than a whiter appearance, it didn't appear any brighter.
At about 10 feet, I measured about 1200 lux from the passenger side lamp from both bulbs. It may be possible that if I was further back some difference may have been measured.
Pictures show the color difference.
This first picture is with the OEM bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PIAA 9006 (HB4)

Not much difference for $70.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Errata

For those who read this earlier:

I mean't Low Beams, Not High.

The dark pictures were on purpose. I set the original exposure to be dark because I had expected the PIAAs to be much brighter.
I didn't adjust the exposure between pictures so that I can capture the relative difference in intensity.

When the foglights are turned on, the difference in color is quite apparent. Unfortunately my test target is on an area about 1 foot higher than my garage so the bottom of the fog lamp beam is cut off. Here's a picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PIAA Super White Fog Light

Not the best pictures ...
A visual side by side comparison shows that it is whiter.
Not too apparent in the pictures.
Note that the base of the PIAA is a bit thicker than the Sylvania so I had to loosen the screws on the mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What others see.

Here's a picture, about 5 feet from the front, of the low beams and fog lights. Note that the right fog light is the OEM lamp.
Other than color, the intensity appears about the same if not slightly brighter.
This was all very disappointing. When I changed the bulbs on my CL there was a significant difference, however the OEM bulbs were at least a year old and there was some silvering of the inside of the bulbs.
I'm hoping that the differences on the road will be more apparent.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Thanks for the pics, bef. Pretty subtle in the pics (as I also know from the Silverstar thread)...hopefully they'll look whiter on the road.

FYI I changed your post heading to "low" from "high" to avoid confusion...

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doh!!

I thought I had caught all low/high errors. Thanks.

Note also that I set the white balance to "Day" on my camera and Tungsten lights are, in general, amber (orange to most of you). What I had hoped to show was that the PIAAs were whiter.

If I ever get around to cleaning out my garage, I can do some better comparisons for the low beams. The fogs are a PITA to remove both for the housing and also for the lamp.

I seem to remember having a hard time installing the PIAAs on my CL so this must be a design feature of the PIAAs.

What would be interesting is to see how the intensity changes over the life of the bulb. Over many months, I never noticed the silver build-up on the CL bulbs. This was one of the reasons the PIAAs seem so much brighter on the CL when I installed them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
bef
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing