Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at my wife's A4 Avant last night and decided the molding would look awesome on the MDX. The moldings are color keyed, well placed and a good size (2.5" W x 3/8" H). I was hoping some Photoshop pro would want to give "installing" them a try to see how they looked. For reference, I've included an A4 Avant pic (not my wife's) and the link for Mike's MDX with the installed color keyed moldings. They look to be about 1" wide. My thanks in advance to anyone worthy.

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthreads.php?threadid=1041

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Gave it a try to Wolverine's Black and Mike's Mesa. I agree, the thicker looks much better. And since you used a tricked out Avant, I lowered Wolverine's MDX!

I also looked at thicker moldings, Check out Isuzu Rodeo's thick molding: http://www.drewparts.com/Products.asp?ParentID=8857 I've seen these on a Rodeo and they look very good. ( The link doesn't do them justice.) If you paint these, they may work nicely. Keep your eyes peeled for late model Rodeo's, not many have these. I'm leaning towards the bare naked look-no moldings for now.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 7plus!

Yeah... I like the think molding. Having a black MDX, I really like the way it looks on both Wolverine's & the SEMA (?) MDX. I read somewhere that the SEMA MDX was actually green, but it looks black to me. I'm not big into the lowering of the truck, but I do like the way the wheel flares & molding look with matched paint. I'm going to have to start hunting for similar molding.

Again, Thanks 7plus... seeing it reinforces the mind's eye!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
I agree

Ya, I'd never lower my MDX or any SUV for that matter. But it sure is fun to see what it looks like! (Someday, someone will though.) I also think thick looks much much better. If you can find some like the above Avant or if you can alter Audi's, that would look nice. Post pictures when you get them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think between you out in CA & me in South Florida, 1 of us will see a lowered MDX before too long. Then again, maybe it will be the Honda version.

I would love to be able to use the A4's molding on the MDX, but the A4 has a body shape that the molding is installed along. It really looks sharp, even the picture doesn't do it justice. Then again, I'm quite partial to the A4, it's a helluva car. I'm always pleased when my wife lets me drive it. Before I got the MDX, I was leaning toward another A4, but it's too small for the family. Now, I love my MDX so much, I don't miss the sports car at all.

If I turn something up, I'll certainly let you know. I'm going to do some hunting...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
How funny?

My other car IS an A4 too! A 96 quattro to be exact. 2 completely different vehicles. Reason we got the MDX - A4 is too small for the growing family! What a quo-winky-dink!

PS Your A4 better not be white.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
Notice that the Sema car has the fender flares which help balance and support the thinker molding. This is exactly what I am planning to do with my Chariot. The flares are being painted and due back at the end of the week. After that, I'll search for color keyed molding to balance it. Plus...will probably add chrome/or brushed chrome side steps. All in all a beefier look and parking lot worthy (maybe)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DMor said:
The flares are being painted and due back at the end of the week. After that, I'll search for color keyed molding to balance it. Plus...will probably add chrome/or brushed chrome side steps. All in all a beefier look and parking lot worthy (maybe)
I'm anxious to see the painted flares... I think the beefy look with nice moldings will really add to the MDX. You'll be posting pics as you go, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: How funny?

7plus said:
My other car IS an A4 too! A 96 quattro to be exact. 2 completely different vehicles. Reason we got the MDX - A4 is too small for the growing family! What a quo-winky-dink!

PS Your A4 better not be white.
White it is! Being an Avant, it's quattro as well. Of course living in Miami, the A4 has really helped in the winter! We actually had a couple of bad rainstorms last year that my wife was convinced a lesser car would not have made it through. She was in water half way up her doors, other people stuck left and right and her A4 just kept on cooking. It's amazing how confident you feel driving the A4 during inclement weather... I can only imagine it in the snow. Have you had the pleasure? Our A4 is a 1.8t(non-chipped), yours?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,041 Posts
ScottyB said:
DMor said:
The flares are being painted and due back at the end of the week. After that, I'll search for color keyed molding to balance it. Plus...will probably add chrome/or brushed chrome side steps. All in all a beefier look and parking lot worthy (maybe)
I'm anxious to see the painted flares... I think the beefy look with nice moldings will really add to the MDX. You'll be posting pics as you go, right?
I'll post pics after the flares are painted and installed. If they finish with the flares this week, I'll install them this weekend. It will take a little time to get the proper molding. I'll probably take it to a few custom shops. I might find some molding from other auto/truck manufactures that could be sized down and painted to fit the MDX. Either way...I'll keep you posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Sullyman-Check this out!

Sullyman said:
Hey 7plus your work is incredible, wish I knew how to do that stuff. Could you put these rims on any MDX picture.
I'm thinking of purchasing.


Thanks



Thanks 7plus, only when you have time. I appreciate it. I hope you enjoy doing it and it is not a chore. If so please don't worry about it.
Digital Chrome Konig Verdict 19" rims - Same delivery charge as Tim!

I love doing this stuff. Wish I could make it a career. I love the design of the MDX, it's a lot of fun tweaking it without spending money. Labor of love ONLY FOR ACURAMDX.ORG!

Anyone else, give me some more challenges! (No animal parts though! A reference to a previous SEMA modification thread)

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
212 Posts
Re: Re: How funny?

ScottyB said:
PS Your A4 better not be white.
White it is! Being an Avant, it's quattro as well. Of course living in Miami, the A4 has really helped in the winter! We actually had a couple of bad rainstorms last year that my wife was convinced a lesser car would not have made it through. She was in water half way up her doors, other people stuck left and right and her A4 just kept on cooking. It's amazing how confident you feel driving the A4 during inclement weather... I can only imagine it in the snow. Have you had the pleasure? Our A4 is a 1.8t(non-chipped), yours? [/B]
5 speed 2.8 not chipped (yet). The V6 is extemely smooth and quiet. CONFIDENT is the key word here. Limited only by the tires. Thinking about 18" rims for this slot car. Yes did take it to the snow and felt like the snow wasn't even there, driving moderately. When I pushed it (within reason), the control was amazing! Like I had a rudder slicing through the snow. Another reason we have this car, "The Best Looking Car" we ever owned. The MDX "The Best Looking SUV" PERIOD! They make a very sexy couple.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Re: Re: How funny?

7plus said:
5 speed 2.8 not chipped (yet). The V6 is extemely smooth and quiet. CONFIDENT is the key word here. Limited only by the tires. Thinking about 18" rims for this slot car. Yes did take it to the snow and felt like the snow wasn't even there, driving moderately. When I pushed it (within reason), the control was amazing! Like I had a rudder slicing through the snow. Another reason we have this car, "The Best Looking Car" we ever owned. The MDX "The Best Looking SUV" PERIOD! They make a very sexy couple.
[/B]
Very nice! I love the wheels on the 2.8, almost as much as the S4's. I have to agree that the A4 is one of the Best Looking cars on the road. I was blown away when I first drove ours... awesome, like I had never experienced in a car. And now we have the Best Looking SUV as well! As our lease comes to a close on the A4, I'll think about buying it. If I do, I'll likely chip it at that time, and put some better rubber on it. Otherwise, I love it as it is.

BTW... the wheels on the SEMA truck look very nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Thanks 7plus

Once again your work is awsome. I am convinced now that these will be the wheels for the MDX. Convincing the wife should be a lot easier as well now that I can show her the picture you did. Thanks again you rock!

Sullyman
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top