Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just picked up my X on 1/2 and that is my only complaint about the ride. I have to do this. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Tim -- what's this thing gto for?

Tim, how much is a dead pedal for a 1986 accord?

Might be interesting...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Dave (and others),

I would give the pedal a chance before replacing it. The first month of driving I noticed it (and at times it felt a bit strange) but now the deal pedal doesn't really bother me (hardly notice it). I am 6'1" and just took the MDX on a 1600 mile round-trip. I found that I usually rest my foot on the pedal and lean my knee against the door. With an occassional shuffle of the foot and the legs to stay loose, this kept me comfortable on the long trip.

I also found that my lumbar support switch (while not perfect) does make a substantial difference and was much more comfortable when turned to the "more support" position.

·
Registered
594 Posts
yep, i agree

I agree -- I think that while I do notice that there is not a dead pedal there, I have found a comfortable location to put my left foot, so I doubt I would bother making this change.

ditto on the extra lumbar support, too.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I guess the main issue is whether someone has found an easy way of installing/building a dead pedal. If someone figures it out, I would be interested. I also drive a CL which does have the dead pedal and when I switch back to the MDX I do notice that it is missing. I do adjust after a while (keep in mind all the other differences for acceleration, braking, cornering, width, height, visibility, etc.).

I did notice that on the Ody, the poster used what appears to be sheet metal screws. If I were to do it I would have used riv-nuts which I used in the past to attach an armrest in my old Integra to the floorpan.

For those that do attempt this mod, I suggest using titanium-nitride bits. Start with a small bit and work your way up. The floorpan is very hard and I killed a bit trying to drill a hole in it on my Integra.

Has anyone considered protoyping the dead pedal to find out what angle/location it should be?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: yep, i agree

davegood said:
.. I have found a comfortable location to put my left foot, so I doubt I would bother making this change.
I feel the same way. Going from my BMW 325i, one which has a solid left foot rest pedal, to MDX, I was actually looking for something like a solid dead pedal in the beginning. I think I gradually forget about the need once I start to fit in the MDX. It is the habit thing, not a necessity, IMHO.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ordere a 1986 dead pedal. We are going on a 20 hr. road trip to fla. in one week and just can't stant the lack of a good place to put my left foot. Will let everyone know how it turns out. I don't have a digital camera to post pictures. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
594 Posts
this oughta be interesting

This will be interesting to see....

Creese -- just take regular photos, and when you get them developed, ask for a kodak photo CD. You can take them right off the the CD to this site.....

We'd all appreciate it!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
picked the dead pedal up from the dealer at lunch ($34.00). It looks like it will work great. I will put it in tonight and take some pictures. Look for them next week.

·
Registered
71 Posts
put dead pedal in last night. Took me about 2 hours. First thing I did was play around with the best position. Had to watch out for the parking break cable because it runs near where I needed to drill (was not a major issue). To get the brackets to fit flush on the carpet i put the ends of the foot pedal in my work bench vice and bent it. Took me about 10 bends to get it right but no big deal. found where I wanted it marked holes and drilled. A couple of nuts, washers, lock washers, and bolts and it was in. I finished by spraying undercoating on the exposed bolts in the fender well.

Now I am ready for the long trip to Fla.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Cool

Creese --

Very cool. Please post pictures after you return.

How comfy does it seem -- does it seem like a good place to rest your foot? I don't really mind not having one too much -- I have found that the little ramp there isn't too bad, but I might consider this modification.

I assume you just used 3M undercoating? And how long were the bolts (or did they come with the dead pedal part)?

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
71 Posts
davegood

The bolds were 1 1/4" and did use 3 m undercoating.

Yes the pedal feels very good where it is at. I would not have done this mod if long trips with out it did not bother me. We went on a 4 hr trip and it drove me nuts. Just running around town I could care less.

It was not expensive and not very difficult. Since I plan to keep this SUV for 6-8 years I want it right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts