Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Phone Mounts (Startac/Timeport)

25K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  phins2rt 
#1 ·
Here's my temp fix for an in-car MDX mount for a Motorola Startac or Timeport. Includes a handsfree kit (portable) and a vent mount. It works OK but isn't perfect (sound quality is good, but phone's a bit wobbly when dialing). There's a little "button" you need to stick on the back of the startac, but it doesn't affect putting in the belt holster unless you have the swivel one; I *think* this thing accepts the Nokia without any additional buttons since the Nokia already has that on the phone.

That electric universal vent mount sold @ Brookstone for $40 is way more solid, but also adds additional wires and is a big beast.

Note the inline mike, embedded in the power cord just below the phone. The speaker is stuffed under the coin holder, which is still accessible. I didn't tidy the wires up for the pic, but I did take some liberties with Photoshop to hide the messy garage ;).

See Lexus pics a couple replies below for a ProFit mount kit (which isn't yet available for the MDX) that is fantastic and CLEAN! Temp Kit links (you might have to past that first one to Motorola due to length -- sorry):

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bi...h_string=24,29,25,26,27,28,206061&type=217947

http://www.igo.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=1&prrfnbr=2918601&cat=&subcat=&link=

See less See more
#2 ·
Vent mount closeup.

#3 ·
#4 ·
ProFit closeup. Looks crooked, but it isn't once the phone is in, and you're behind the wheel.

#5 ·
Thanks for the great pictures, I'll definitely wait for the ProFit one.

BTW: How did you get a clock on the Navi "Sleep" screen? (The 7:40, 7:41)??? When I have the Sleep screen, there's no time!!?

#6 ·
In another thread, someone said you could "press" the small clock in the lower righthand corner. However, I honestly have no idea -- it's been this way since we got it :)

The ProFit is definitely worth waiting for; we already had the temp install gear from our old Jeep so it didn't cost anything (I think it'd be ~ $110); otherwise I'd save my money and wait for the final fix (which was about $200 for the Motorola kit installed, and another $30 for the ProFit mount; the external antenna was free...)

#7 ·
Tanspace - what ever happened with the eloan debacle?

What was the final outcome of Sunnyvale's refusal to accept the eloan draft?

#8 ·
Clock: Cool, I'll try to press that clock icon next time.

Eloan+Sunnyvale Acura: Blah, basically neither side wants to cooperate or help me. Eloan refuses to call the dealer, the dealer refuses to call E-loan, so basically I'm the one that's SOL. BTW they also refused PeopleFirst loan as well. #@^$=%#@

I'm just counting it as a (expensive, $5k or so) lesson learned. I'm getting ready to fill out the Acura SURVEY this weekend. I'm buying extra black markers to fill out the VERY DISSATISFIED columns.

At least I have my stock options to count on to pay back the loan early to minimize the finance charge difference... NOT!! :-(

-t

#9 ·
Worm: The guy on the camal waving is hilarious !!!
LOL! :p

The pro-fit you have professionally installed in the RX300 looks nice.

I'm still looking to find a way to hide all wires from site.

Maybe the phone can be mounted down on the console or to the right of the console even with the cigarette lighter input.

What do you think?
:confused:

I have the StarTac, and I think they are going to ban cell phone use in the car in New Jersey soon. They already did in some towns already, it's only a matter of time until it's State wide.

#10 ·
A4L

Best bet for hiding the wires is to use the "stalk" type mount that screws into the side of console or baseboard -- the wires can run through a "sleeve" and be almost entirely hidden. Problem is, it leaves holes when you remove it.

There's just no ideal way to hide everything if you're using a portable handsfree that has to plug into a 12v socket. I suppose if you use the lighter 12v, you might be able to sneak the cord back under the coinholder/lighter and come out under the dash. I never have found a good way to make use of the 12v in the console itself. I personally need the phone in view to see inbound Caller ID and make outbound calls w/o taking eyes off the road.

The ProFit I have in the GS can't accomodate that, since there's no stalk -- it's a custom molded metal piece -- but there's only about 3in of visible wires and they're bundled tightly. Removes cleanly, too -- important if you're leasing.

Yea, the guy on the camel was indicating his approval of the MDX ;)

#11 ·
Custom Dash Mount Now Available

I posted info here on an MDX custom dash mount now available.

Will report back w/pics and product/vendor quality (with links) after I receive and install it next week.

#12 ·
A simple solution that I have used for past several cars: a small disc shaped magnet glued to a convenient spot on the dash. Holds the phone very securely. Sorry, no picture. I bought it at www.igo.com. In the mdx, I have the phone on the upper left corner area of the glove box door. Using a hands-free wire, with voice dialing it works fairly well. As I recall, however, the packaging specifically says "not recommended" for Startac. My phone is a Samsung sch3500.

#13 ·
Hey Guys;

I also live in NJ and am keeping my eyes open for a Star Tac hands free device for my MDX and my wife's TL.

I've seen one for a while now for Star Tacs and Nokias in the "HERRINGTON CATALOG".

Has anyone else seen the catalog or the item itself. It plugs right into the dash power outlet.

This link should work: http://store.yahoo.com/herrington-catalog/ms124.html

#14 ·
sspeedy7056 - lighter mounts

sspeedy,

You're talking about this one?

The most popular one of these is called The Navigator although I don't know if Herrington's is that specific brand. Sharper Image also has one that's pretty cool in that it records the last 20 seconds of your conversation, so if you're getting a phone number or directions or something, you just press a button to save the conversation -- and you avoid having to pull over and write it down (assuming you're responsible and pull over, that is).

I always had 2 problems with the lighter-mounts, at least given the configuration of the cars I've had:

- the phone is mounted really low, requiring you to take your eyes WAY off the road
- the microphone is also really low (and far away), adversely affecting talk quality

FWIW Shaper Image's has a boom mic but I haven't tried it. My experience with their stuff has been that the pics, descriptions and concepts are always better than their execution, but they do have a 30-day return policy (which I've used probably 75% of the time with their stuff). Here's a pic of Sharper Image's:

#15 ·
Worm;

The model in Herrington (which it looks like you just checked my link, since your photo above is correct)is called the Auto Pilot and the Brand on the front in the catalog photo is CCM.

Good point about it being mounted down low at the power outlet. It does however, come with a 6" extension to raise it up, and Herrington also has a 60 day money back guarantee.

I guess the only way to know is to try one. I'll post here if I do.

#17 ·
sspeedy -- using your link would have been too easy. I skimmed right by it and searched the Herrington site. Yea, I'm a bonehead. BTW, did you get a zillion freakin' popup screens over there? The ideal solution, to me, is that permanent kit and mount I have in the Lexus (a few pics down from the top) because it's cleanest w/the best sound -- sometimes people don't even know I'm on a car speakerphone, which I find shocking -- but it runs ~$350 installed (motorola kit, antenna, mount, labor) and is moot if portability is the issue (not to mention the extra $275-$300).

ghost -- thanks; front and rear flaps did a good job of protecting the lower panels from sandblast, but the camel manure was tough to get out of the wheel wells :).

#19 ·
Panavise Phone Mount Pics

Well, received and installed the Panavise mount today. In addition to the dash mount, you've gotta have something on there to hold your phone. In the Lexus I have the Motorola permanent in-car kit; in the MDX we use a temporary kit, so I also ordered Panavise's Clip Caddy, which either lets you use the "button" that a lot of the Nokias have on them, or just use the belt-clip from your phone (which I did for the startac). Any holder (e.g. universal) will attach to the mount.

I like this application much better than the vent-mount at the top of this thread. The vent mount was a bit too wobbly, and placed the inline microphone too close to the vents, resulting in poor talk quality when the AC is on.

The installation looks pretty clean considering it's a temp kit. Notes:
  • The speaker/mic kit is the Motorola Easy Install Handsfree. There is a small lip right behind the coin tray that it's attached to, which conceals it pretty well. You can tuck extra wire back there, too.
  • The dash mount is by Panavise.
  • I routed the wire around the accessory/cig socket to hold it in place and mostly out of view.
  • I removed the plood trim differently than the Panavise instructions indicated (used the Acura Service Manual instructions). It took a bit longer (30 mins) but eliminated the possibility of scratching the trim or dash. Let me know if you want a walk-through because even the Service Manual is somewhat vague/misleading.
Also let me know if you want a pointer to the vendor for the mounts. They shipped same-day from Chicago.

Attachments

#21 ·
These are my step by step installation pictures. I took the advice in this case from TheWorm (thanks), I got the Panavise holder and the Clip Caddy along with the Motorola EZ-Installation Kit.
BTW the Clip Caddy works with any cell phone. Installation took me about 20-25 minutes.
First, make a hook out of a cloth hanger in order to pull out the whole cover. Make sure to pull from inside (like 3 inches deep) and not from the vents.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.