Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Phone Mounts (Startac/Timeport)

25K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  phins2rt 
#1 ·
Here's my temp fix for an in-car MDX mount for a Motorola Startac or Timeport. Includes a handsfree kit (portable) and a vent mount. It works OK but isn't perfect (sound quality is good, but phone's a bit wobbly when dialing). There's a little "button" you need to stick on the back of the startac, but it doesn't affect putting in the belt holster unless you have the swivel one; I *think* this thing accepts the Nokia without any additional buttons since the Nokia already has that on the phone.

That electric universal vent mount sold @ Brookstone for $40 is way more solid, but also adds additional wires and is a big beast.

Note the inline mike, embedded in the power cord just below the phone. The speaker is stuffed under the coin holder, which is still accessible. I didn't tidy the wires up for the pic, but I did take some liberties with Photoshop to hide the messy garage ;).

See Lexus pics a couple replies below for a ProFit mount kit (which isn't yet available for the MDX) that is fantastic and CLEAN! Temp Kit links (you might have to past that first one to Motorola due to length -- sorry):

http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bi...h_string=24,29,25,26,27,28,206061&type=217947

http://www.igo.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=1&prrfnbr=2918601&cat=&subcat=&link=

See less See more
#32 ·
Mount on driver's side?

Mjaime said:
Step 4.
This is the screw from where the holder will be attach to it.
Hold the screw with your hand or it might get lost inside.
Mjaime, is there a screw on the other side? I'm trying to map out where to put my phone once my MDX arrives, and I prefer to have it close at hand for ease of dialing and reading the caller ID. I'll probably go with the Motorola handsfree + mic and hardwire it behind the console... I hate wires hanging.

#33 ·
Yes, there is a screw in the exact same position as the other, but the Panavise holder is made to be in the right side. I had the same impresion that it was too far but after using it for sometime I 'm getting use to it and very happy after at least 5 different holders that I tried before this one. The screen of the phone becomes very clear due to the perfect angle the holder is made.
I put the speaker right under the power outlet in the hole and the mic installation (pics) with no wires hanging can be seen in the thread mentioned before.

#34 ·
Hi All:

___I am bumping this thread as it is a great one. I only hope I can add something to it …

___I picked up some Panavise mount(s) for the X and the 03 Corolla but did not realize I also needed to order the Clip Caddy’s as a separate entity. Shame on me … So off to try and pick them up I go. I found an EBay’er that will sell them on the side for just $6.00 for (2), that’s right (2) and that includes shipping via USPS!

___If you are interested in the Clip Caddy’s, her name is Christina and her E-Mail address is chb74@yahoo.com. I paid her via PayPal just two days ago and they were in the mail box this afternoon! They were in there original Panavise packaging and fit the Panavise mounts exactly as TheWorm and Mjaime have shown. The pin on the back of my Krusell Handit case for the Axim (my GPS NAVI device) fits perfectly into the Clip Caddy which is what I really wanted it for to begin with.

___I think I will install the Blitzsafe and Panavise later on tonight.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

#35 ·
Just an FYI. It looks like I got the last Clip Caddy from Christina. She is no longer selling them.:mad:

Thanks for the tip xcel!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.