Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ,

I think we should start a petition asking Acura to allow us to update our entertainment systems to either Android Auto or Carplay. If we threaten not to buy their cars ijn the future, they may give in. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
This is not a major consideration for a lot of people. That is evident by the fact that as much as we complain about the navigation system,we are all owners. It would be nice to have that,but it was not a deciding factor. Technology changes quickly. The design is almost 5 years old. Things get outdated quickly. If it involves new hardware,it won't get done until the next redesign.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Would it be nice? Sure
Do I need to have it? Nope
Still one of the best, if not the best, driving CUVs on the market for the price. I probably would have bought one had it only had a tape deck and the ability to BT my phone for calls.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not me...I am fed up with Acura and am purchasing an SUV that is going to offer the Apple Car Play. Talk with your money because nothing else works better. Heck, even a Chevrolet or Ford has Car Play. Or better yet a Honda has it.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
This is not a major consideration for a lot of people. That is evident by the fact that as much as we complain about the navigation system,we are all owners. It would be nice to have that,but it was not a deciding factor.
Would it be nice? Sure
Do I need to have it? Nope
That reflects my attitude towards this. I actually rarely mess with the infotainment system. My normal usage is to just stream to it from my iPhone. Every now and then I use the Nav but pretty much only when I'm on a trip to someplace unfamiliar, which isn't the majority of the time.

Even if Acura/Honda offers it on a future MDX, which they may well do, it's almost certain they won't offer it as an upgrade for older MDXs. You already bought your MDX given the feature set it already has, which means you bought it even though it didn't have Carplay/Auto - i.e. Acura is 'done' already with that sale and doesn't seem to care about retroactively adding features/enhancements.

While I currently think I'd want and like Carplay I haven't actually used it so I'm sure I'd end up with something to complain about it. From what I understand it's not a complete integration/mirror - i.e. not all apps on the iPhone will be functional on the infotainment - ex: you probably can't stream a movie on Netflix to it while driving (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this).

Regardless, I don't think Acura will care what a minute handful of people post here on the topic in a petition effort. The best way to vote isn't with a petition, it's with the wallet - if you don't like the vehicle you're considering buying then move on to a different vehicle. There are lots of choices out there. Many of the other attributes of the MDX are more important to me than this one but someone else might care more about having Carplay than great handling, mileage, interior layout, etc. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think it's totally ridiculous that 2016 Hondas have better features with regards to the car play.

Acura is their "Top Brand" that competes with Lexus and Infinity. Among the German brands too. (Even tough they really can't compete with them.)

What it comes down to is total sales. Pilot I'm sure surpasses the MDX. And so on.

What a friggin joke.

I was given a survey from Acura about my 2016 MDX tech sh-awd.

I told them the fit and finish was horrible, my 2011 Ford Explorer (that's right) had way better mapping that allowed every street to be shown when completely increased to the largest scale, and that their Hondas have features that the MDX didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I was given a survey from Acura about my 2016 MDX tech sh-awd.

I told them the fit and finish was horrible, my 2011 Ford Explorer (that's right) had way better mapping that allowed every street to be shown when completely increased to the largest scale, and that their Hondas have features that the MDX didn't.
This doesn't make much sense. If you think the MDX is so inferior then why'd you buy it? You should have known how the infotainment worked and how the fit and finish of your particular vehicle was before actually buying your vehicle...yet you bought it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This car is one of the best values in this price point period. I'm wasn't going to buy a Volvo X90, Audi Q5 or Q7, let alone BMW X3 or X5 equipped similarly than the MDX Tech for that price.

As you know the car can perform better or even close to them.

I bought based on all of the other positive features.

It doesn't bother me about the fit and finish of the product. But they had those type of questions in their survey so I answered them appropriately.

You would think that all of those years that Honda Motor Company was/is building vehicles, they would look at their competition and meet or exceed to get more sales.

This is what great companies do, always improve their products to enhance sales. Besides, the Japanese set the standard for doing things right in the automotive industry years ago. Why do you think the American car companies quality improved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
I am thankful I can function just fine without a smartphone on my hip at all times...I like the entertainment system in my 11 just fine...apple play etc add exactly zero to me...I just wish the 3rd gen drove as good as the 2nd gen...as it is, it's not an upgrade to me at this time.

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
I have personally used both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. Both put the navigation and infotainment system in the MDX to shame. Yes I knew this and still bought it. While you can stream anything via Bluetooth having the apps on the Nav screen makes a huge difference. We likely won't get an update but it does suck Hondas have this capability. There's always Navtool but you don't get the same functionality and ease of use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts