Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a mesa MDX touring w/ nav last night. This is going to be fun!

Question for all of you: at closing the dealer tried to jam a $1200 Permaplate option at me. I've heard good things about the product (exterior, fabric & leather sealing was in the offer) but I thought the price was excessive. I figured that 4 hours of labor and $100 of materials (max) would put their cost around $250, $350 tops.

Would people share what they've paid for PermaPlating, and their location?

I bought the MDX in San Jose, CA.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Not worth the money

This issue of vehicle protection products sold thru the deale has been covered in the past, although I am not sure what key words to search. May want to try things like: VIP, protection, protectant, sealants, etc.

Bottom line of the old posts it is absolutely not worth paying full price for. I was fortunate; John Eagle Acura in Houston throws in the VIP package for free on all new vehicles they sell.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
By the way ...

... welcome to the club: It WILL be fun, enjoy!:D :cool: :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't do it

That's a rip off. The broker I went through offered this option at $375 and I thought that was high. I also own a VW Cabrio and had the permaplate applied by the dealer and I could never tell that it ever did any good. I passed on my MDX permaplated because it was so unimpressive.

·
Registered
241 Posts
a Broker? Success???

Hello Marin, from Sonoma! You mention that you got your MDX through a broker. Given the scarcity of MDXs, I'm surprised that brokers were even an option. What was your experience? How long did it take? How specific were you about the model and color? Any details would be welcome.

--Marne

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Marne,

I was complaining about my situation to a mechanic and he whipped out this business card and told me this company deals mostly with hard to find cars. I called that day told them exactly what I wanted paid $200 fee and he called me back within several hours with a silver mdx with touring and navigation. The hitch was that it was in Palm Springs and it would have to be trucked up for more $$. I held them off (broker & dealer) and then they began dealing with me. The dealer paid the trucking fee and I told him what I wanted to pay for options I was adding. I got my MDX within four days for $47K fully loaded. (5K in extras that my husband had to have) It does look sweet though! It's a great car. No regrets. Save yourself the $200 broker fee and call the dealer ship yourself. Acura of the Desert-saleman to deal with is Dan Dixon. His service is excellent.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Broker...

Thanks, Marin! Acura of the Desert seems like a good dealership. :) I've spoken to some SoCal dealers in my MDX quest, but I haven't extended my search that far south.

But I do have a question on your suggested strategy. It seems like I'd need to call a broker first to have them find the MDX I want, then I should call the dealer-with-the-car, which may or not be Acura of the Desert for my chosen car. Or am I missing something in your story?

--Marne

·
Registered
925 Posts
$47k. Wow, now that's gotta be some options! (Almost $10k worth IF it's a Tour/Nav). Can you post pictures?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Permaplate

I think permaplate is a wonderful product. I had a claim with them on their interior protection and they replaced an entire section of carpet on my MDX. It was really worth the money.;)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Permaplate

huntingtonmike said:
I think permaplate is a wonderful product. I had a claim with them on their interior protection and they replaced an entire section of carpet on my MDX. It was really worth the money.;)
But how often does carpet get so bad it needs to be replaced?

For what he paid for Permaplate, he could have the car detailed, an invisible bra installed, windows tinted and carpeted areas Scotchgarded, and probably still have money left over for a nice dinner.

Sealing leather? Just keep it vacuumed and Lexol'd. Leather breathes, does not need sealing, just cleaning and conditioning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts