Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

How many horses for the new 3.8L in the 03' MDX?

• 225 HP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 275 HP

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • 300 HP

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 340 HP

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know there is havoc just to modify the newborn X. But, you have to realize that it is going to take some time. Now, I am not sure about anywhere else about performance mods besides Comptech USA. They are testing out headers for the 3.5 Liter Mdx engine, but since the headers are calling for a cat-back exhaust system, there isnt much hope on the list for it as of yet. But, I think by September - December of 2002, they will be out on the market to sell. I have heard word of a Supercharger for the X, but i am not sure, so please dont take my word for it. I hope my info has helped you, so please let me know and let me know if anywhere else is making performance mods for the MDX.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Performance mods for the MDX will only be widely accepted if owners (beyond only street racers) knew Honda/Acura sanctioned such modifications and provided adequate warranty coverage as in the case of TRD and Toyota, as well as others.
This isn't a snappy little 4 cylinder that has excellent handling, and just needs more power. It has good power now plus above average handling for an SUV. It may not be that easy for Acura to justify sanctioning more performance by supporting after-market speed equipment. Especially when they are already planning to bump the power. Which tells me any aftermarket add-ons will be just that, add-ons, and after-market.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Guys, keep in mind that this is a near $40,000 luxury SUV. The competition is the ML, X5, QX4, etc. The typical buyer at this level is looking for safety, reliability, luxury amenities and strong service/warranty support. While performance should never be overlooked at any price, I just don't beleive that there is a big (relatively speaking) market for aftermarket performance mods for vehicles like the MDX. That market (or lack thereof) will ultimately drive the performance mod companies to develop products.

Also, keep in mind that the MDX is a relatively limited production vehicle. There simply aren't that many around, which again hurts the market for aftermarket performance mods. Additionally, right out of the box, the MDX has a respectable performance quotient. Many US made V8's don't put out the numbers that the mighty 3.5 does.

Just an opinion!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I Must Be Getting Old

Either I am getting old or I am confused or I have lost touch with the world or I am suffering from a combo of some/all of the above.

I know there are a lot of people who buy/drive Hondas that are driven to get more out of it. I know the same is true with Acura buyers/drivers but I thought it was to a lesser extent.

Where my confusion sets in, is I didn't think that were any that would seek performance enhancements for the like of an Ody or an RL.

In "my day", sure we did it to Camaros, Mustangs, Firebirds, etc. but it wasn't TYPICALLY done to Cadillacs, Lincolns, New Yorkers, etc. If we had the bucks, we skipped it all and simply bought Vettes, GTOs, 442s, Cobras, etc.

Somehow, I figured the MDX was more in the RL category and that performance mods wouldn't be the issue. I figured that creature comfort, convenience, gizmos, sound systems, yada yada yada would be the focus. Not turbos, superchagers, headers, etc.

Can someone help me out here? If this is true, then Acura will NEVER [IMHO] make it into the big league with the likes of Lexus. I don't think that image "is gonna fit". Heck, this sends the message to Acura:

Make it faster, not more comfortable.

Make it noisier, not quieter.

Remove insulation to make it lighter.

Jack up the horsepower, don't waste money on better leather.

Supercharge it, to hell with backup display 'cause I'm going to fast to look back!!

I have read a lot about what we would like to see in the MDX. I would hope that Acura reads this site as well. Wonder what message they get when they read the postings?

:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
50 Posts
srpbep:

I agree 100%; we are on the same page with our views on this one!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts