Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK- so when I drive secondary roads at night, MANY oncoming cars will flash me with their high beams. I would say one of every 10-20 passing cars- which is quite a bit when you think of it. It's at the point where I often drive with my finger on the high beam stalk so I can briefly flash back so as to say, you think that's bright? THIS is what my high beams look like. I know the LED's are bright, and I'm pretty sure I read that the height is not adjustable... Anyone else with this issue? Thanks

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have this issue when I traveled on the "country" roads to visit my in-laws. A luxury vehicle out there is a Ford truck with the King Ranch badge. I got tired always flashing like you do every 1-2 miles for +2hrs drive back to ABQ at night. I now drive between dawn and dusk when I visit to save my sanity (gives me an excuse to arrive late and leave early from the in-laws :29:).

I wouldn't adjust my headlights unless they are out of adjustment. The LEDs are there for your safety; not their convenience. Folks have to get use to the newest horseless carriages on the road.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I really hoped this thread tittle was about something else.

I have that problem when I'm going uphill towards traffic. I'd just pretend if I were you that they were warning you about a deer or cop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK- so when I drive secondary roads at night, MANY oncoming cars will flash me with their high beams. I would say one of every 10-20 passing cars- which is quite a bit when you think of it. It's at the point where I often drive with my finger on the high beam stalk so I can briefly flash back so as to say, you think that's bright? THIS is what my high beams look like. I know the LED's are bright, and I'm pretty sure I read that the height is not adjustable... Anyone else with this issue? Thanks

But seriously, you can adjust the light beam up or down with a long Phillip screw driver.

·
Registered
661 Posts
This is part of the issue with not having auto-leveling lights. I can see an MDX from pretty far away (my wife drives ours), and the lights can be irritating to look at.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a TSB or recommended adjustment across all Acura models - but the MDX is most severe as it sits highest from the ground.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually one of the first things I did was raised the beams so I could see further out...I for one did not like the factory setting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So...the 1st time I drove my '16 MDX at night the wife and I noticed that mine has auto-leveling lights! I'm wondering if there was a change Acura didn't announce for the '16s or if mine's a production fluke and got Canadian headlights...too bad it didn't have the light washers installed by accident.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My prod date is 29. May 2015. I figured this out going up a hill, watching the lights level down on my old BMW, and then cresting the hill and lights moved own...you could watch the movement of the actual light beams

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Hmm I'll try a hill around here today. Mine is an April production. Seems weird to .5 a MY, but it has happened (my Subaru got the rear brake calipers of the 2006 year even though I bought the 2005 MY--PITA when I forget and buy the wrong pads lol) and Toyota does it all the time.

·
Registered
661 Posts
My prod date is 29. May 2015. I figured this out going up a hill, watching the lights level down on my old BMW, and then cresting the hill and lights moved own...you could watch the movement of the actual light beams
So was this on the MDX or BMW? Your sentence sounds like the BMW did it, not the MDX.

My BMW (and earlier ones) adjusts (cycles) up/down when you turn the car on. No Acura product has ever done this.

And I haven't seen an obvious left/right movement on an Acura since my 2005 RL.

·
Registered
837 Posts
So was this on the MDX or BMW? Your sentence sounds like the BMW did it, not the MDX.

My BMW (and earlier ones) adjusts (cycles) up/down when you turn the car on. No Acura product has ever done this.

And I haven't seen an obvious left/right movement on an Acura since my 2005 RL.
Auto leveling headlights are an option on the 2016 MDX. I got this option.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes. On Canadian models only. Just saw it in the Canada brochure. Just another thing we don't get in the U.S.

Around view camera
Power folding mirrors
Heated windshield

·
Registered
357 Posts
We definitely don't get hat option in US. I also browsed Canadian Acura web site and couldn't find anything about adjustable LED headlights, am I missing something?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Too bad about being non-adjustable, but I must say the bright white color of the LED's really makes it easy to see things at night.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hmm... indeed, on page 13, Canadian version of 2016 MDX with Technology trim has the following, including auto-leveling headlamps. I didn't even know I have it :)

TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE (Adds to Navigation Package)​
Auto-dimming power folding side mirrors​
Acura DVD Entertainment System with 9" display​
Acura/ELS Surround​
R 529-watt Premium Audio System with AM/FM/SiriusXM

tuner, MP3/Windows MediaR Audio compatibility, DTS,Dolby

Pro LogicII and 11 speakers including subwoofer
Auto-levelling front headlamps !!!

Heated 2nd-row seats​
Keyless Access System for rear doors​
Perforated Premium Milano leather-trimmed interior​
Rear side sunshades​