Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get great performance, kicks in front of every car around me, but when I floor it when I need to pull ahead (merging, etc.), there's a strange sound like rattle (obviously not the VTEC kicking in) as I go....anyone else hear this?

Rob :31:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
What speed?

Specific RPM?

What gear?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
throttle cable position bracket? checked that one? tho it's usually under load and rpm related...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I'm a new Pilot owner lurking around in this MDX forum and finding several similarities (we have the gas slosh/thud and pillar nicks, for example).

But I'm hearing something that is keeping me from enjoying my Pilot and I (and dealer) can't figure it out. It's a valve rattle/chatter sound (at least that's what it sounds like to my husband and me) and it seems to happen only at certain times.

It's at low speed, about 30-35 mph, and happens when I'm "under load" -- often when accelerating up a low hill from a stop, or when asking a bit of the engine. I don't hear it on the interstate, however, and I don't hear it at higher speeds, even tho I'm listening very hard.

What could cause this kind of valve noise in a brand-new car? Dealer said he couldn't hear it, and said these cars just don't have trouble with their valves. But it's bothering me too much and I'll have to go in again, and force him into an extended test drive. On certain hills near my house, it happens nearly 100% of the time.

It's possible it's some sort of rattle that imitates valve knocking, but I dunno...Anyone here have a thought (since we have the same engine?)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Pilot and MDX rattle

Sort of sounds like the Pilot needs a little more than 87 Octane gas. It is a good selling point for Honda, but...

Try filling with 91 or 93 Octane and see if it goes away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, higher octane gas was my first thought, also -- so I've already tried that. In fact, I've never put regular in it. Have tried both plus and premium and doesn't seem to make a difference at all. And I now have 1,975 miles on it, so I've been thru a number of tanks (tried different brands too).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Idle is usually very, very quiet. No valve chatter or anything resembling the noise I heard when accelerating up a hill (at low speed).

Does that clue help?:)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I answered as follows under problem No 92 in the Knowledge Base on this forum:

"1 .(by frostyra ) After several months of living with this, I followed up on the TSB for the throttle cable bracket; per TheWorm: AN UNDERHOOD BUZZING, RATTLING NOISE THAT OCCURS WHILE ACCELERATING BETWEEN 2500 AND 4000 RPM. CAUSED BY THE THROTTLE CABLE BRACKET ATTACHED TO THE LEFT FRONT DAMPER TOWER. IF THE BRACKET IS CAUSING THE NOISE, MAKE SURE THE BOLT IS OK, BEND THE BRACKET UNTIL IT IS 10MM AWAY FROM THE DAMPER TOWER. I bent mine to only about 3/16" away, but the problem is solved. FYI, for bracket location purposes, the bracket mounting bolt is 9 1/4" straight back from the battery negative (closest to fender) terminal, and just slightly higher than the battery top. If the rear end of the bracket (farthest from the bolt) is very close to sheet metal, use a screwdriver to bend it out from the sheet metal by 1/4 to 3/8". (Make sure the bolt is tight.) PROBLEM SOLVED!!! "

Can't hurt to check it out, and Good Luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, I just read problem 92 in your Knowledge Base, and someone's been reading this Pilot owner's mail!!!

Some of those MDX descriptions were IDENTICAL to my problem. Ping sound unrelated to gasoline grade or brand, and happening under acceleration between 2500 and 3500 RPMs. Mine sounds like it's more to the right than the driver's side-- maybe the throttle cable bracket is in a different place in Pilot??

I'll take the thread down to dealer next week and see what they think and can do... did The Worm ever find an answer for his????

Thanks all...I thought I was losing my mind (service department said they couldn't hear anything and suggested waiting until it got worse). No other Pilot owners have reported anything similar. I bought this car so the engine could go 200,000 miles and, believe me, I'm not feeling confident about an engine pinging since Day 1.

Diane

1 - 15 of 15 Posts