Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Still good to always keep them clean. I do mine every 5k. Only takes a few min. Also helps keep the thing from breaking off in there
You’re 100% correct. I have read about how they break off and what a nightmare it is. Listen. I never disrespect anyone on how they maintain their car. I actually admire you do that. On my 2011 the first thing I did when I got the bolts out was to go and buy 6 more from the hardware store. I’m sure glad I did because I dropped atleast 2. My point is to the OP that a 2020 does not need a new one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
They are NOTORIOUS for breaking off in the head. You pull the piece that’s sticking out and the piece that goes into the head stays. Google it. Talk about a nightmare and some I read they actually had to remove the head.
Really??
I’ve maintained my own vehicles since the early 70s and replaced a few in my 70 Chevy Malibu, 74 Vette, and 78 Camero, but have never replaced one since ….and I’ve owned about every Honda product since the early 80’s and have never cleaned or replaced one during that entire time.
And I worked for AHM for 40 yrs and never heard of this issue, nor experienced it.
Must of gotten by me …..

·
Registered
254 Posts
Most broke because some people think they need to be replaced and the general DIYs don’t know how to properly replace it or shouldn’t attempt it.
Honda doesn’t recommend changing it (or cleaning it) and it doesn’t show on the recommend maintenance journal …. which is good enough for me to not touch it.
Like I said ….. never cleaned or replaced one in a Honda product in over 40 years and never had an issue.
But if you feel you need to clean it or change it, go ahead. It won’t hurt anything … unless you break it off.

Book Font Material property Publication Paper

·
Registered
107 Posts
Most broke because some people think they need to be replaced and the general DIYs don’t know how to properly replace it or shouldn’t attempt it.
Honda doesn’t recommend changing it (or cleaning it) and it doesn’t show on the recommend maintenance journal …. which is good enough for me to not touch it.
Like I said ….. never cleaned or replaced one in a Honda product in over 40 years and never had an issue.
But if you feel you need to clean it or change it, go ahead. It won’t hurt anything … unless you break it off.

View attachment 121882
Your information is incorrect. They do need to be cleaned. The owners manual doesn't tell you need to clean the MAF sensor. Well when that gets dirty. Hello poor running performance. Also if you don't clean your PCV valve, you will also end up with excess and unnecessary varnish on the top end of the engine. Honda has stated plugged PCV will cause excessive oil burning. You do you, I will continue to clean mine and the MAF every 5k miles. Done this to this day on my 12 Accord. 248k miles later it only consumes a qt at the end of the OCI at 5500 miles.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX Advance SH AWD
137 Posts
Open your intake looking down the throttle body lol from vapor likes to sit down their then really cost your valves, over time you loose performance, changes airflow characteristics. Kinda like a airplane. A dirty aircraft looses 5% fuel performance bc the resistance of dirt on the wings. Same basics when you have oil and varnish inside. That's one reason an engine looses hp as they age. Keep it clean, you'll maintain performance
Haha you should have seen the planes in our fleet at the flying club I used to belong to. We had an annual wash 1x per year. Planes were so dirty. POH fuel burn rate probly way off on these 40 year old birds.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Haha you should have seen the planes in our fleet at the flying club I used to belong to. We had an annual wash 1x per year. Planes were so dirty. POH fuel burn rate probly way off on these 40 year old birds.
My brother in-law works for Boeing, Works on the KC-46 Pegaus. He was telling me a dirty aircraft will cause a 5% fuel loss from just the resistance of the dirt. Airlines spend time every month just washing their fleet. I believe this also occurs in your vehiclle if your intake manifold is dirty on the inside. The debris from dirt and oil, changes the airflow and slowing down the movement of the air. A dirty airfilter also causes a loss in MPG,performance and cylinder wear

21 - 28 of 28 Posts