Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

We have a 2020 Mdx and on our last service visit the service manager recommended that we replace the PCV valve. Has anyone had to replace these on the 3rd generation?

thank you in advance!

·
Registered
2016 Acura MDX ADV ENT
547 Posts
Good morning,

We have a 2020 Mdx and on our last service visit the service manager recommended that we replace the PCV valve. Has anyone had to replace these on the 3rd generation?

thank you in advance!
I have a 2016 with 73K miles, never cleaned/replaced(I am the third owner)

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,144 Posts
Good morning,

thank you in advance!
I have a 17 here, 92k miles. Never once was my PCV valve cleaned or replaced; mind you, my MDX is maintained by my Honda dealer. You are better off taking your MDX elsewhere, cuz all they are trying to do is rip you off. Plus, how many miles is on your MDX?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ours is maintained at an Acura dealer so maybe that’s something they specifically promote. But yeah it’s the same engine as a Pilot and not sure if that’s on their maintenance plan. We have 39K on ours.

I’ve owned a few different brand of cars myself and never told to replace it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,144 Posts
Ours is maintained at an Acura dealer so maybe that’s something they specifically promote. But yeah it’s the same engine as a Pilot and not sure if that’s on their maintenance plan. We have 39K on ours.

Thanks!

hmmm... This is interesting. There were times I had Acura touch my car, but all 4 Acura dealers NEVER suggested this.

Take it to a Honda dealer to service it unless they (the Honda dealer) pull this out of their rear end. This shouldn't even be a suggestion or recommendation at such a low mileage unless there is an issue where the PCV valve is a concern, but even then, you are covered under both the bumper to bumper and powertrain warranties; unless yours is a CPO, then we can add the CPO warranty on top of these two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you! Yeah I’m glad I asked here because I did think it was unusual. I’ll call Honda see what they say. Just for the sake of it I may pull it out myself and see if it needs cleaning. I think an idiot OEM one runs around $30.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I've run mutliple vehicles past 250K miles and never had to replace a PCV valve. I haven't seen any honda service list that shows the PCV valve replacement at least throuigh 100K miles

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thank you! Yeah I’m glad I asked here because I did think it was unusual. I’ll call Honda see what they say. Just for the sake of it I may pull it out myself and see if it needs cleaning. I think an idiot OEM one runs around $30.

the OEM list price is $30, I suspect the "net" price that jobbers/shops pay is on the order of $5, nice way for a shop to make a quick $25 or maybe $50

·
Registered
123 Posts
WOW! every oil change? Do you see it oily/dirty?
Yes theirs oil on it. I did find online to completely remove it, and has a an threaded fitting to just move to a K&N breathing filter to just vent it to the atmosphere. I'm planning on going that way. Yes not smog legal, but just move back to stock every 2 years for emissions testing.

I also clean the MAF sensor every oil change. 2 screws and some CRC MAF cleaner. Takes a min. Done. Always want that clean at all times. Effects performance, gas mileage, the way it runs, the MAF is one key component the ECM needs for fuel information

·
Registered
123 Posts

Thanks!

The difference between Honda and Acura. Yes same 3.5. Acura runs a different head with bigger valves, injectors and a whole different ECM programming and different transmission program.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,144 Posts
The difference between Honda and Acura. Yes same 3.5. Acura runs a different head with bigger valves, injectors and a whole different ECM programming and different transmission program.
I gotta ask, what year is your MDX? And what do you use to clean the PCV valve with?

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yes theirs oil on it. I did find online to completely remove it, and has a an threaded fitting to just move to a K&N breathing filter to just vent it to the atmosphere. I'm planning on going that way. Yes not smog legal, but just move back to stock every 2 years for emissions testing.

I also clean the MAF sensor every oil change. 2 screws and some CRC MAF cleaner. Takes a min. Done. Always want that clean at all times. Effects performance, gas mileage, the way it runs, the MAF is one key component the ECM needs for fuel information
seem like work and expense for something not needed on the PCV valve. I've owned dozens of cars, usually put 150K-250K miles on them dating back to the first cars with PCV valve. never had one fail, never had one clog, never had to replace one. In fact I've never known someone who had a PCV valve fail or plug or anyone who replaced one.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Open your intake looking down the throttle body lol from vapor likes to sit down their then really cost your valves, over time you loose performance, changes airflow characteristics. Kinda like a airplane. A dirty aircraft looses 5% fuel performance bc the resistance of dirt on the wings. Same basics when you have oil and varnish inside. That's one reason an engine looses hp as they age. Keep it clean, you'll maintain performance

·
Registered
774 Posts
Open your intake looking down the throttle body lol from vapor likes to sit down their then really cost your valves, over time you loose performance, changes airflow characteristics. Kinda like a airplane. A dirty aircraft looses 5% fuel performance bc the resistance of dirt on the wings. Same basics when you have oil and varnish inside. That's one reason an engine looses hp as they age. Keep it clean, you'll maintain performance
main purpose of the PCV valve is to have a negative pressure source for the engine block to suck those vapors out. As long as the valve is working nothing else is needed. K&N that is mentioned that vents to the atmosphere relies on positive pressure in the block to vent instead of the proper way creating a negative pressure to pull the vapors out. I'll stick with a PCV valve, they've been succesfully used in race engines since the early 1960's and cars shortly thereafter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts