Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This late evening about 6pm, I decided to replace the pcv valve. I thought it was a 15 minutes job. MF! The blue section broken off. I was gentle as I possibly could, but jeez...

I tried the 7/16-14 bolt method but it is too small. I will try 1/2 tap tomorrow, I believe it is still won't work because the remaining piece is spinning.

Ah...15 minutes job turns into massive top cover removal.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can I use Permatex liquid gasket instead of Honda's?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This thing is so brittle...i guess valve cover removal is in order. Damn!

·
Registered
322 Posts
This late evening about 6pm, I decided to replace the pcv valve. I thought it was a 15 minutes job. MF! The blue section broken off. I was gentle as I possibly could, but jeez...

I tried the 7/16-14 bolt method but it is too small. I will try 1/2 tap tomorrow, I believe it is still won't work because the remaining piece is spinning.

Ah...15 minutes job turns into massive top cover removal.

same thing happened to me three week ago, i used a 5/16 24 tap screwed in like butter, the taps u are using are way too big, before i installed the new one i tapped it with the 5/16 24 tap and screwed a 5/16 24 bolt into it and left it there and then installed it so the bolt is already there for the next time i replace it

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you still had the blue casing in there, mind the blue casing was snapped off from the inner tube. 7/16 was too small.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unbelievable Honda, do you have to do this? How would remove the plate?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hit a snag after went through all the trouble to remove the valve cover. Honda engineer decided that it was best to install a plate.

Finally was able to pull it out using a lag bolt from the rear shock absorber. It took a very good effort to remove it with a plier. That little blue pin...hmmm.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Congratulations on the removal.

When I replaced mine, it broke too. I used an old screw extractor which is conical with strong bite in the plastic. It was an easy turn and pull for me without removing the valve cover.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations on the removal.

When I replaced mine, it broke too. I used an old screw extractor which is conical with strong bite in the plastic. It was an easy turn and pull for me without removing the valve cover.
Thanks. It was a big relief. I thought I had to buy a new head cover. This is the second time I replaced pcv valve on this mdx. The first time was effortless and trouble free.

Oh look another problem, the air intake tube was so brittle that a little wiggle and it got ripped open. Duct tape to the rescue.

Just for curious, I popped up my 06 Odyssey; and the air intake tube was ripped open. Hmm I have been driving with no filter.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Thanks. It was a big relief. I thought I had to buy a new head cover. This is the second time I replaced pcv valve on this mdx. The first time was effortless and trouble free.

Oh look another problem, the air intake tube was so brittle that a little wiggle and it got ripped open. Duct tape to the rescue.

Just for curious, I popped up my 06 Odyssey; and the air intake tube was ripped open. Hmm I have been driving with no filter.

That sleeve is not expensive. Easy and cheap to be replaced.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, but cannot get the replacement easily. Dealers dont stock them. Just have to special order it. Autozone etc...don't have compatible.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Do you have the listed price? My expectation is that it, OEM part, is going to be pretty expensive.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do you have the listed price? My expectation is that it, OEM part, is going to be pretty expensive.

I saw it for $22 online. + S&H

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Oh, thanks. What is the part number? This is unbelievable! I replaced one for a 20 year old Toyota and the OEM price was almost $90. I am very happy that Acura charges a very friendly amount!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, thanks. What is the part number? This is unbelievable! I replaced one for a 20 year old Toyota and the OEM price was almost $90. I am very happy that Acura charges a very friendly amount!
2010-2013 MDX 17228-RYE-A10

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
What is the best way to prevent PCV from snapping off when removing it? Slowly wiggle it and spry some penetrating oil?

When I replaced mine at 78k miles it was easily came off without any problem but I want to prepare for the worst case if it stuck and seizes. And how often the PCV valve needs to be replaced? I have 50k miles since it was last replaced.

Worst case: if you broke the PCV and you can’t extract it out from the valve cover can you just leave it there and just install a new one? Will the broken piece inside the valve cover suck into the valve train?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What is the best way to prevent PCV from snapping off when removing it? Slowly wiggle it and spry some penetrating oil?

When I replaced mine at 78k miles it was easily came off without any problem but I want to prepare for the worst case if it stuck and seizes. And how often the PCV valve needs to be replaced? I have 50k miles since it was last replaced.

Worst case: if you broke the PCV and you can’t extract it out from the valve cover can you just leave it there and just install a new one? Will the broken piece inside the valve cover suck into the valve train?

I think the best was to find some tool to grip the black section and pull. But it will be hard though because applying pressure to grip it may crack it. You could also screw in a self-tapping bolt through the hole, then pull. Then again, this method has a problem too. The blue section is only fused or glued down at the tip. In my case, the blue section was dislodged leaving the black piece behind.

If it broke and you cannot take it out, your only option is a new head cover. Honda has a plate inside the head cover that protects the pcv valve and holes routing. You cannot remove this plate as it is riveted down. The broken piece must removed before new pcv can go in.

To check if pcv needs replacement, remove one end of pcv hose that goes into the manifold. If it is stained with reddish brown or oily, pcv may stuck open. Replace. The manual instructs to pinch this hose and use a stethoscope to listen for clicking. No click, replace. Or in my case, the first replacement was stuck open while the 2nd replacement seemed stuck closed.

Have these handy LOL.
1. The metal collar. This may lost during removal. I still have not found the blue piece or this collar. Also a flat head driver.
2. New head cover standby. If broke and you could not remove, the only option. Then you need items below.
3. Intake manifold gasket bottom and upper.
4. Head cover gasket.
5. Honda bond
6. Spark plug seals optional.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I think the best was to find some tool to grip the black section and pull. But it will be hard though because applying pressure to grip it may crack it. You could also screw in a self-tapping bolt through the hole, then pull. Then again, this method has a problem too. The blue section is only fused or glued down at the tip. In my case, the blue section was dislodged leaving the black piece behind.

If it broke and you cannot take it out, your only option is a new head cover. Honda has a plate inside the head cover that protects the pcv valve and holes routing. You cannot remove this plate as it is riveted down. The broken piece must removed before new pcv can go in.

To check if pcv needs replacement, remove one end of pcv hose that goes into the manifold. If it is stained with reddish brown or oily, pcv may stuck open. Replace. The manual instructs to pinch this hose and use a stethoscope to listen for clicking. No click, replace. Or in my case, the first replacement was stuck open while the 2nd replacement seemed stuck closed.

Have these handy LOL.
1. The metal collar. This may lost during removal. I still have not found the blue piece or this collar. Also a flat head driver.
2. New head cover standby. If broke and you could not remove, the only option. Then you need items below.
3. Intake manifold gasket bottom and upper.
4. Head cover gasket.
5. Honda bond
6. Spark plug seals optional.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I removed mine to check it out today and it came out easily. Before I pulled it out I twisted it back and forth about 10x to loose it up and then pulled it out. The PCV valve is still good and rattling. Cleaned and lubed it up with engine oil and put it back in. I also checked the PCV hose from the valve cover to the manifold and it is dried and cleaned.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts