Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My 03 White Touring with Nav should be on the dealer lot first week of December. Yipee.

My wife and I are pursuing many angles on financing and I could use the forum's advice.

I am all set with a Discover Financial Services Home Equity loan and the rate is 4.00 (WS Prime - .25). $175.00 origination fee.

Tonight we were looking though the junk mail and a credit card with 0 interest on purchases or balances transfers for 14 months caught my eye. Only a $45 fee for the transfer

In your opinion will these plans work with my dealer:

Plan A: Put the whole car on Discover, get the 1% cash back, transfer the balance to the freebie card and work like heck to pay as much off before trying to find another card with similar terms.

Plan B: If dealer balks because of the fee to Discover, offer to split the cost and I still come out ahead.

If A and B don't work, I can just write the check from the HE loan.

I am paying list - $1000 primarily because this is the third car (second MDX) my extended family has bought from the salesman and we had to upgrade to the touring to get the NAV which we "had" to have.:eek:

Sorry for the long post and any advice on the dealer's likelihood on accepting a credit card would be great. Especially from "insiders" like Jaime.

Thanks in advance.:5:

·
Registered
93 Posts
From my experience, the dealer will allow 5000 max to be charged on a credit card. What you can do is ask Discover to send you balance transfer checks. These are checks that can be used on anything. You can do two things, write a check to yourself and deposit to your checking account than write a check to the dealer or write a check straight to the dealer with these checks.
I recently got a 0% on one of my credit cards for 12 months and decided to just earn interest on that amount. There were no transfer fees at all.
The card was a citibank dividend card, no annual fee! You can apply online.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Use Search

Try a Search; there was a lenghty thread a while back that discussed that pros/cons of using a credit card for all or part of a car purchase.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts